• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

U.S. Says It Has Withdrawn From World Judicial Body

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,177
Reaction score
6,280
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: New York Times

Prompted by an international tribunal's decision last year ordering new hearings for 51 Mexicans on death rows in the United States, the State Department said yesterday that the United States had withdrawn from the protocol that gave the tribunal jurisdiction to hear such disputes.

The withdrawal followed a Feb. 28 memorandum from President Bush to Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales directing state courts to abide by the decision of the tribunal, the International Court of Justice in The Hague. The decision required American courts to grant "review and reconsideration" to claims that the inmates' cases had been hurt by the failure of local authorities to allow them to contact consular officials.

The memorandum, issued in connection with a case the United States Supreme Court is scheduled to hear this month, puzzled state prosecutors, who said it seemed inconsistent with the administration's general hostility to international institutions and its support for the death penalty.

The withdrawal announced yesterday helps explains the administration's position.
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Blue Hobgoblin said:
It seems to me that Bush wants to run the world, but not abide by its rules.
It's a bit hard to say, considering that countries like Canada aren't part of that as well and that Bush's letter to the AG is telling state courts to abide by the same sets of circumstances locally but just not at the level of the IC in the Hague.
 

Batman

Active member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
407
Reaction score
7
Location
Fulton, KY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Blue Hobgoblin said:
It seems to me that Bush wants to run the world, but not abide by its rules.
If you were going to run the world, why would you abide by it's rules?
 

26 X World Champs

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Batman said:
If you were going to run the world, why would you abide by it's rules?
We're to the world in the 21st Century what the Brits were in the late 19th & 1st half of the 20th century. It's called imperialism, and it sucks. It was wrong back then, and it's just as wrong today.

As a government, our nation is a global embarrassment. Not everything they do is wrong, but most things they do are. They have no concept of diplomacy, and they have no sense of a global community.

When China becomes the world's #1 economic power later this century it will be quite interesting to see how our government complains about their impending economic dominance?
 

Batman

Active member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
407
Reaction score
7
Location
Fulton, KY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
26 X World Champs said:
When China becomes the world's #1 economic power later this century it will be quite interesting to see how our government complains about their impending economic dominance?
Statement or question?
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
26 X World Champs said:
We're to the world in the 21st Century what the Brits were in the late 19th & 1st half of the 20th century. It's called imperialism, and it sucks. It was wrong back then, and it's just as wrong today.

As a government, our nation is a global embarrassment. Not everything they do is wrong, but most things they do are. They have no concept of diplomacy, and they have no sense of a global community.

When China becomes the world's #1 economic power later this century it will be quite interesting to see how our government complains about their impending economic dominance?
It'll never happen. We're number one, we'll always be number one, we're the greatest. In fact we're prefect- haven't you heard?

Never mind the mass amounts of cash we're currently borrowing from and currently owe to places like China. Never mind how much other countries now dislike us. Never mind how arrogant we are. Disregard all that.

We'll always be number, that will never change. Now whatever you do don't question anything and just do whatever your government tells you to. Otherwise you're an un-patriotic American hating slob who just wants to live in a welfare state.
 
Top Bottom