• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Rep Chip Roy rebuked after using hearing on violence against Asian Americans to attack China over coronavirus

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I have to say, that I wasn't too familiar with U.S. Rep Chip Roy, R-Austin, Texas but now I am. In the hearing yesterday it was brought up about the killing of Asians in Atlanta. He eventually used language like this. "I think there's an old saying in Texas about — find all the rope in Texas and get a tall oak tree. You know we take justice very seriously and we ought to do that, round up the bad guys”. Language that touches on the use of lynchings! Especially when the subject during that hearing became about China/Chinese and Asians - bad guys!! He speaks about how he's wired, but unfortunately, his wiring has too many shorts in his circuit.

Chip Roy rebuked for lynching remark at hearing on Asian American discrimination | The Texas Tribune
"My concern about this hearing is that it seems to want to venture into the policing of rhetoric in a free society, free speech and away from rule of law and taking out bad guys," Roy said. "And as a former federal prosecutor, I'm kind of predisposed and wired to want to go take out bad guys. That's bad guys of all colors. That's bad guys of all persuasions."

Roy called the Chinese Communist Party "the bad guys," "patently evil" and listed a series of policy criticisms with the Chinese government, including its treatment of the Uyghurs, the theft of American intellectual property, the build up of its military and China's lack of transparency over the origins and spread of the COVID-19 virus.

"Your president and your party and your colleagues can talk about issues with any other country you want, but you don't have to do it by putting a bullseye on the back of Asian Americans across this country, on our grandparents, on our kids," U.S. Rep. Grace Meng, a New York Democrat, said to Roy, while accusing him of veering wildly off the topic of violence against Asian Americans.

Back
Top Bottom