• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. prosecutors are preparing to pursue a criminal case against Wikileaks founder Julian Assange

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/ass...-case-against-wikileaks-assange-idUSKCN1NL0FU

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors are preparing to pursue a criminal case against Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, escalating a long battle targeting his anti-secrecy group.

According to a Thursday filing in an unrelated criminal case in a Virginia federal court, prosecutors have obtained a sealed indictment against Assange.
==================================================
Details of the filing remain unclear. Ecuador might be ready to get rid of their 'permanent house guest'.

Roast. His. Ass. :applaud

This is more fitting with the SC's investigation: chipping around the edges before moving inward. Everybody was driving up expectations for an Inner Circle indictment, up to and even including Donald Jr. himself, which I felt was exceedingly unlikely.

Extradition by Ecuador is unlikely since I assume our State Department would play a part in such negotiations. I have a difficult time imagining Trump ordering Pompeo to do what he can to get Assange in order to give Mueller a helping hand.

This is more fitting with the SC's investigation: chipping around the edges before moving inward. Everybody was driving up expectations for an Inner Circle indictment, up to and even including Donald Jr. himself, which I felt was exceedingly unlikely.

Extradition by Ecuador is unlikely since I assume our State Department would play a part in such negotiations. I have a difficult time imagining Trump ordering Pompeo to do what he can to get Assange in order to give Mueller a helping hand.

It’s long past time to use some extraordinary rendition

According to the NY observer, there are supposed to be 'dozens of sealed indictments' being held by Mueller. The observer is a conservative publication, and their analysis of 'It's too late to stop the Mueller investigation' is interesting

https://observer.com/2018/11/mueller-holding-dozens-sealed-indictments-intel-source

With all due respect, I've been hearing about these dozens of sealed indictments since February of 2017.

brace-yourself-indictments-are-coming.jpg

With all due respect, I've been hearing about these dozens of sealed indictments since February of 2017.

And . since Feb of 2017, look how many got revealed.

And . since Feb of 2017, look how many got revealed.

I should elaborate: all these sealed indictments were on their way to the White House to put the entire Trump family in prison.

The investigation has been meaningful and productive, but much slower and more boring than people would like, though that has worked to Mueller's advantage.

He's been spending two years setting the chess board to his advantage, so even though Trump still has all his highest ranking pieces on the board they're all essentially boxed in. If Mueller had made a beeline for the King he would have lost instantly.

I should elaborate: all these sealed indictments were on their way to the White House to put the entire Trump family in prison.

The investigation has been meaningful and productive, but much slower and more boring than people would like, though that has worked to Mueller's advantage.

He's been spending two years setting the chess board to his advantage, so even though Trump still has all his highest ranking pieces on the board they're all essentially boxed in. If Mueller had made a beeline for the King he would have lost instantly.

Mueller has experience. He knows his stuff. He would make a much better AG than Whitiger , that's for sure.

Mueller has experience. He knows his stuff. He would make a much better AG than Whitiger , that's for sure.

A box of tic-tacs would make a better AG than Whitaker.

By what power and jurisdiction does the United States Jusitice Department claim it can prosecute an Australian national operating out of Germany, and other European cities (but not America) for publishing materials allegedly stolen either by American whistleblowers or foreign security/intelligence agents when establishment media organisations like the New York Times and several major European mainstream newspapers did exactly the same thing and are not being prosecuted?

This is selective prosecution and ignores the fundamental principle of the Rule of Law that all laws must be applied universally and equally to all. Are American media corporations who published leaked secrets engaging in espionage? No, of course not, and neither were Wikileaks nor Julian Assange. Are all other management and employees of Wikileaks likewise under US Justice Department sealed indictments for their roles in the alleged acts of espionage which Wikileaks is supposed to have committed? Again I'd wager no. Julian Assange is being made an example of, in order to chill and stifle the freedom of the press and especially independent journalism/media from breaking such stories. This is clearly a political prosecution of a non-US national operating outside of US legal jurisdiction and doing nothing different from major American and European media organisations which is designed to suppress media organisations without access to very deep pockets and corporate-legionary lawyers from exposing leaked secrets of government who are too often up to no good.

Mike Pompeo, an agent of the US Government, named Wikileaks and with it Julian Assange as an hostile foreign intelligence organization/agent for doing exactly what several mainstream newspapers have done, but are there any sealed indictments against those media corporations or the reporters who acted as their agents in reporting about the very same leaks? I'd wager there are not. This is a Kafkaesque abuse of law and should be stopped immediately. How can the Amercican government be relied upon to hold a fair trial given such clearly biased public statements by very senior US officials like Pompeo?

Political prosecution and an epic miscarriage of justice plus prosecutorial over-reach will be the hallmarks of this prosecution if it is conducted in public. Star-chamber justice and a corruption of the Rule of Law will be the legacy if this prosecution is held in secret or by-passed entirely by parking Mr. Assange in Guantanamo Bay or at some black-site at sea or in a cooperating foreign country to circumvent open prosecution. This stinks. In the bad old days of absolute kings and unanswerable legislatures if you exposed such information to the public the government would break your presses, smash up your offices and then cart you off for a few days/weeks/months in jail for reporting such things. Now in the Age of Freedom, Rights and Justice the state feels it must break the man (or woman) rather than the presses and terrify all media into silence or complicity with the state. Winter is coming and it's coming faster and harder than most realise. This is truly frakked up!

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Not sure that this emanated from Mueller. Do you have a link that says the document in question here came from the Mueller investigation or is this from another Justice Dept investigation?

Not sure that this emanated from Mueller. Do you have a link that says the document in question here came from the Mueller investigation or is this from another Justice Dept investigation?

No, I have no link to support that. I assumed that because Assange was an essential component of Russian interference in our election that Mueller would have direct involvement in any investigation of him.

By what power and jurisdiction does the United States Jusitice Department claim it can prosecute an Australian national operating out of Germany, and other European cities (but not America) for publishing materials allegedly stolen either by American whistleblowers or foreign security/intelligence agents when establishment media organisations like the New York Times and several major European mainstream newspapers did exactly the same thing and are not being prosecuted?
No specifics were revealed, so we don't know the specific charges.

That said, there is no legal barrier to indicting foreign nationals when they violate US law. Mueller already (legally) indicted 12 Russians for hacking the DNC.

If Assange also hacked US servers, or provided material support to hackers illegally accessing US servers, or encouraged US nationals to violate US law (e.g. encouraging a government employee with clearance to provide him with classified information), then Assange violated US law.

This is selective prosecution and ignores the fundamental principle of the Rule of Law that all laws must be applied universally and equally to all.
That seems highly unlikely.

Are American media corporations who published leaked secrets engaging in espionage? No, of course not...
They can, if they actually encouraged or aided someone in the process of violating US law.

If Assange was completely passive in the transaction, he is not legally liable.

Political prosecution and an epic miscarriage of justice plus prosecutorial over-reach will be the hallmarks of this prosecution if it is conducted in public.
Assange was not captured on a battlefield, he's not an "unlawful combatant," so there won't be a military trial. US indictments can be sealed, but criminal trials are public.

Are all other management and employees of Wikileaks likewise under US Justice Department sealed indictments for their roles in the alleged acts of espionage which Wikileaks is supposed to have committed?
We don't know. However, if they encouraged or abetted violations of US law, they could be charged.

We don't know the facts, only that there is some sealed indictment. As a result, it's not a good plan for you to haul off and condemn the US government when you have no idea what they do or don't have on Assange.

Back
Top Bottom