• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Navy bans booze in Japan

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
All U.S. Navy sailors in Japan are banned from drinking alcohol and restricted to base except for essential trips after several recent alcohol-related incidents which the Navy's 7th Fleet said are harming U.S.-Japan relations.

"Effective immediately, sailors are prohibited from drinking alcohol, on and off base. Additionally, all off-base liberty will be curtailed," a statement from the 7th Fleet and U.S. Naval Forces Japan said Monday.

"These measures are not taken lightly," said Rear Adm. Matthew Carter, commander of Naval Forces Japan, said in the statement. "For decades, we have enjoyed a strong relationship with the people of Japan. It is imperative that each sailor understand how our actions affect that relationship, and the U.S.-Japan alliance as a whole."
About 19,000 personnel are assigned to U.S. Navy bases in Japan and Navy ships and planes operating from those bases, according to U.S. Forces Japan.
U.S. Navy bans booze in Japan - CNNPolitics.com

Imagine the morale now? Wowser.

I am honestly surprised it took this long.

I am honestly surprised it took this long.
Discipline on the Japanese naval bases must be exceptionally poor. You don't have these sorts of incidents happening with such frequency in Germany.

Did the Gulf Wars teach us nothing? No matter the environment you cannot ban drinking. Its not possible.

What they need to do is change out the base commanders and fleet commanders for the area and bring in people that will bring back some discipline, because obviously it seems more lax than usual. There's always going to be problems the key is to minimize the number and scope.

There shouldn't be any excuse for military members committing crimes in foreign countries or anywhere for that matter. That being said, it would be interesting to see the statistic between crimes per capita committed by US armed service members and Japanese citizens. I think one problem is in the media if ANYTHING happens or is done by a service member it breaks the news. There is already a popular view that foreigners are disrespectful and a disturbance to Japanese society, so when these things happen I'm sure it fuels that stereotype. I think the new rule makes sense, but I also think the behavior conducted by US military personnel may be blown out of proportion.

There shouldn't be any excuse for military members committing crimes in foreign countries or anywhere for that matter. That being said, it would be interesting to see the statistic between crimes per capita committed by US armed service members and Japanese citizens. I think one problem is in the media if ANYTHING happens or is done by a service member it breaks the news. There is already a popular view that foreigners are disrespectful and a disturbance to Japanese society, so when these things happen I'm sure it fuels that stereotype. I think the new rule makes sense, but I also think the behavior conducted by US military personnel may be blown out of proportion.

Evidently Admiral Carter disagrees with you.

This is brain numbingly stupid, everyone knows that the local Japanese dont want us there, that they are always agitating, looking for things to complain about. To take this out on our people strains the credibility of our leadership. I have said in several posts over months that our Navy is a wreck, this more confirmation of that.

EDIT: It is time to bring the Ronald Reagan Home, there is no need for it to be in Japan, and in this climate it cant stay there. The Pentagon has to figure out fast that they have a morale problem thoughout the force, in both enlisted and the officer corps, and they need to address it...bringing this carrier home would help.

Last edited:
punishing everyone for the actions of one rogue latino sailor?

What they need to do is change out the base commanders and fleet commanders for the area and bring in people that will bring back some discipline, because obviously it seems more lax than usual. There's always going to be problems the key is to minimize the number and scope.

Especially in a place like Okinawa where the locals don't want us there in the first place.

This was bound to happen eventually, and because of prior mentioned reasons. Japan (Okinawa) has been critical and sensitive of US presence on the island long enough. Now that we have a couple of examples for Japan to be upset about, we are effectively passing a ban on the other 18K+ US military personnel there.

I doubt it will work, but only time will tell.

Three incidents are cited in the report, all on Okinawa.

From 20,000+ people over months, ya, there will be 3 alcohol related events. It is the price of using humans to do the work.

From 20,000+ people over months, ya, there will be 3 alcohol related events. It is the price of using humans to do the work.

My point was, maybe the problem is on Okinawa.

This was bound to happen eventually, and because of prior mentioned reasons. Japan (Okinawa) has been critical and sensitive of US presence on the island long enough. Now that we have a couple of examples for Japan to be upset about, we are effectively passing a ban on the other 18K+ US military personnel there.

I doubt it will work, but only time will tell.

The Japanese will not be happy till we are gone, and the Pentagon will pay for this idiocy with yet more morale problems, and yet more severe reenlistment problems. The Navy has been in trouble for some years now, but this mess just keeps getting worse under Obama.

Low service-wide Morale
While 59.0% of Sailors believe they are making a difference, only 17.7% of Sailors consider morale to be
“excellent” or “good.” 42.2% believe morale is “marginal” or “poor.”
http://www.military.com/PDF/2014-Navy-Retention-Study-Report-Full.pdf

She'd be a latina but that's beside the point as is your pointing out that the sailor in question is hispanic.

Okinawans are extremely resentful of the government in Tokyo for forcing our military bases on them and by extension they are resentful of us. To them we are uninvited guests who have long overstayed our welcome. Given that the ban is probably the least we can do to keep a lid on the situation.

The Japanese will not be happy till we are gone, and the Pentagon will pay for this idiocy with yet more morale problems, and yet more severe reenlistment problems. The Navy has been in trouble for some years now, but this mess just keeps getting worse under Obama.

Low service-wide Morale
While 59.0% of Sailors believe they are making a difference, only 17.7% of Sailors consider morale to be
“excellent” or “good.” 42.2% believe morale is “marginal” or “poor.”

http://www.military.com/PDF/2014-Navy-Retention-Study-Report-Full.pdf

I do not disagree with any of this. Further, what I am really offering is this alcohol ban for our personnel there will not elevate any of the anti-US presence in Okinawa. My position is this will not change anything and odds are will not work anyway.

Drinking and engaging in misconduct? She was probably engaging in a solo riot to protest Trump. We need to know if she had a "Make California Mexico Again" sign while she was indulging in these drunken antics.

I do not disagree with any of this. Further, what I am really offering is this alcohol ban for our personnel there will not elevate any of the anti-US presence in Okinawa. My position is this will not change anything and odds are will not work anyway.

The Japanese will say " Great, now hurry up and leave".

Especially in a place like Okinawa where the locals don't want us there in the first place.
Thats kinda like the Philippines...they dont want us there til we are gone.

What ever happened to responsibility and accountability? Why attempt to hold everyone else accountable for one persons bad actions? History proves...this doesnt end well.

The whole having to treat grown-ass men and women like children sometimes is definitely one of the things I don't miss about being in the military.

If off base Liberty is going to be denied I don't know why on base drinking is also banned.

Back
Top Bottom