• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Navy bans booze in Japan

Did the Gulf Wars teach us nothing? No matter the environment you cannot ban drinking. Its not possible.

The camp I was at in afghanistan was run and owned by the germans, with multiple countries occupying portions of it. We were forbidden to drink over there, but the germans were allowed beer.

We found out germans love outdated iphones and gatorade, no one would explain why but apparently no one there could get iphones or gatorade easily. We would trade cases of gatorade for cases of beer, and stash them in the connex that exists but did not exist.

Imagine we must respect their culture and behave as guess , too bad the liberals don't think the illegals here should follow that lead . :roll:

If Hillary gets in she will give every criminal that sneaks into this country a citizenship and use them to replace an overpaid union worker. :lamo

What they need to do is change out the base commanders and fleet commanders for the area and bring in people that will bring back some discipline, because obviously it seems more lax than usual. There's always going to be problems the key is to minimize the number and scope.

The thing is, there have been problems there for 20 + years. It goes way beyond the brass, the individual sailors, the locals. The Pentagon has been looking for solutions and nothing works. You cannot blame the locals for being a bit pissed at rapes, murders, vandalism, assaults.

This is brain numbingly stupid, everyone knows that the local Japanese dont want us there, that they are always agitating, looking for things to complain about. To take this out on our people strains the credibility of our leadership. I have said in several posts over months that our Navy is a wreck, this more confirmation of that.

EDIT: It is time to bring the Ronald Reagan Home, there is no need for it to be in Japan, and in this climate it cant stay there. The Pentagon has to figure out fast that they have a morale problem thoughout the force, in both enlisted and the officer corps, and they need to address it...bringing this carrier home would help.

The locals did not force the sailor to drink and drive.

And no way are we moving assets out of there. Too important to our strategic needs.

We've been Japan's 'Big Brother' long enough. Time they were left on their own.

Well, that is just painfully ignorant of our strategic goals in the region. Hint: we are more worried about North Korea and China than about protecting Japan.

Drinking and engaging in misconduct? She was probably engaging in a solo riot to protest Trump. We need to know if she had a "Make California Mexico Again" sign while she was indulging in these drunken antics.

And the award for the stupidest post of June can already be awarded. Good job, that was very special...

punish the class : a shortcut solution since kindergarten.

It has much more to do with pointing to something solid we have done. It is political. Sucks that it is needed, but Japan is too important to our interests, and there have been too many incidents.

punish the class : a shortcut solution since kindergarten.

That is how the military works, it uses mass punishment over individual punishment. the idea is if soldier x screws up the other soldiers should have stopped him, therefore they are all guilty.

This had never worked though in my entire military career, and the guilty do not feel bad when everyone has to suffer as they do, but the guilty regret it if you take just their priviledge away and make them watch everyone else leave while they mop floors til midnight. Misery loves company which is why mass punishment is a joke.

It has much more to do with pointing to something solid we have done. It is political. Sucks that it is needed, but Japan is too important to our interests, and there have been too many incidents.

i don't really agree that every sailor in Japan needs to immediately become a teetotaler because some idiots ****ed up. my guess is that the rule will be largely ignored, and that some will get caught and have their careers messed up while others will skate by. whether we should have a presence there at all when WWII ended seventy years ago is another discussion, and one that i admit that i might not be on the correct side of. you can probably guess what i think concerning this topic.

That is how the military works, it uses mass punishment over individual punishment. the idea is if soldier x screws up the other soldiers should have stopped him, therefore they are all guilty.

This had never worked though in my entire military career, and the guilty do not feel bad when everyone has to suffer as they do, but the guilty regret it if you take just their priviledge away and make them watch everyone else leave while they mop floors til midnight. Misery loves company which is why mass punishment is a joke.

i tend to agree, though i never served in the armed forces. i appreciate your insight, and your service.

i don't really agree that every sailor in Japan needs to immediately become a teetotaler because some idiots ****ed up. my guess is that the rule will be largely ignored, and that some will get caught and have their careers messed up while others will skate by. whether we should have a presence there at all when WWII ended seventy years ago is another discussion, and one that i admit that i might not be on the correct side of. you can probably guess what i think concerning this topic.

It will be temporary, and by curtailing liberty at the same time, it will mostly stick.

It's not as unpopular a position as you might think. For example, I think if they have the downtime to get boozy on and off base and rowdy with the locals the they could be put to better use. They should be rotated out and reassigned to labor on public works projects like the Romans did. Our infrastructure is in desperate need of overhaul.

i tend to agree, though i never served in the armed forces. i appreciate your insight, and your service.

If you have ever watched full metal jacket, the boot camp part where the instructor desides to punish everyone for pvt pyles is pretty accurate of how the army marines navy etc prefer to do things.

my unit tried multiple times to do temporary liquor bans over drunk driving incidents, however none were successful we would just go to the px and buy booze, or just go off post and buy it. It also helps when your first sergeant is yelling at you for buying booze during a temp ban while he is unloading bottles of patron at the checkout

If you have ever watched full metal jacket, the boot camp part where the instructor desides to punish everyone for pvt pyles is pretty accurate of how the army marines navy etc prefer to do things.

my unit tried multiple times to do temporary liquor bans over drunk driving incidents, however none were successful we would just go to the px and buy booze, or just go off post and buy it. It also helps when your first sergeant is yelling at you for buying booze during a temp ban while he is unloading bottles of patron at the checkout

Dude, your CO was a dick, and not real bright. If you can get off base, an alcohol ban is wishful thinking.

Dude, your CO was a dick, and not real bright. If you can get off base, an alcohol ban is wishful thinking.

Clearly it was wishfull thinking at best especially when the first sergeant and the sergeant major were caught breaking the rules.
When I left fort hood and went national guard however, we always got a no drinking on orders blah blah, then everyone was drinking. During feild training, the e7 up barracks had everyone drunk, the e5-6 barracks had most drunk, and the e1-e4 barracks had a few like me and my friends drunk, because we knew a e5 was not going to take us to see a drunk of his ass e8 on charges of drinking..

Maybe you did not know this, but Okinawans do not make policy on US navy bases.

Maybe you dont know this, but Obama tends to assume that the USA is a bad actor. And he does not like the military much.

1 + 1 = **** You Service Members.

The Navy has and will continue to appease the Okinawans.

It sounds like the order came from brigade, or battalion ANF the company commander issued the order, as instructed. I doubt anyone actually discussed enforcement. Sometimes those orders are for show.

Maybe you dont know this, but Obama tends to assume that the USA is a bad actor. And he does not like the military much.

We are guests in someone else's country. It's in our best interest to be nice to our hosts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Let's make some more **** up shall we? I'm still waiting for you to back up your previous lie.

The camp I was at in afghanistan was run and owned by the germans, with multiple countries occupying portions of it. We were forbidden to drink over there, but the germans were allowed beer.

We found out germans love outdated iphones and gatorade, no one would explain why but apparently no one there could get iphones or gatorade easily. We would trade cases of gatorade for cases of beer, and stash them in the connex that exists but did not exist.
About every other bathtub in Khobar Towers was in the process of fermenting a home brew. Everywhere we deployed, we deployed with 3 full size 'classified' safes which couldnt be inspected. And did anyone believe people REALLY needed to bring 6 bottles of 'mouthwash'?

Saudi Arabia had contractor compounds. UAE had beer nights (2 beers a week...ummmm.....riiiiiiiiiiiight). Kuwait also was a home brewers paradise. Turkey it was legal. There was less drinking in Turkey...and it was a lot more safe.

Back
Top Bottom