• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. names Asian carp czar

NONE of the "Czars" are called "Czars". Their title is "Assistant to the President and..."

The use of the term Czar is consistently applied and has been since Bush has been using them. I think you are splitting Obamas hairs for him...

You would have a point, but his actual job title is chairman of the Asian Carp Regional Coordinating Committee. So based on your description of how a czar is determined, he isn't one.

You would have a point, but his actual job title is chairman of the Asian Carp Regional Coordinating Committee. So based on your description of how a czar is determined, he isn't one.

Wouldnt you say it is more what they are assigned to do than what their title is...and really...who gives an Asian Carps teeth if he is or is not appropriately called a 'czar'? Why si that such a concern? the fact is we have apparently formed a Coordinating Committee to 'study' a relatively simple problem. Someone here mentioned a bounty on the fish...thats a reasonable and effective solution. It was done with coyotes, with lake trout, and while there is no bounty people are encouraged to pull out as many stripped bass as possible and are fined for reutning them to the waters if caught...it just doesnt seem like this is a commission worthy problem.

Wouldnt you say it is more what they are assigned to do than what their title is...and really...who gives an Asian Carps teeth if he is or is not appropriately called a 'czar'? Why si that such a concern? the fact is we have apparently formed a Coordinating Committee to 'study' a relatively simple problem. Someone here mentioned a bounty on the fish...thats a reasonable and effective solution. It was done with coyotes, with lake trout, and while there is no bounty people are encouraged to pull out as many stripped bass as possible and are fined for reutning them to the waters if caught...it just doesnt seem like this is a commission worthy problem.

I am not the one who started the thread to bitch about another czar. The issue of the carp is very important an involves a lawsuit the state of Michigan has filed against the states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Minnesota. It sounds silly, but there is a big issue going on. It could end up with the closure of the locks into the great lakes, which would have a huge impact on several states.

State and local issue first off. Secondly aren't there all ready agencies to deal with this problem? Why the need for another layer of "management"?

Couldn't you have said the same thing about Homeland Security? Or didn't the FBI, DEA, ATF and countless other federal, state and city police have their antennae tuned for terrorists?

Get rid of the czar. Take the money and pay a bounty for every Asian carp caught. Put money into the pockets of fisherman while we're figuring out how to stop the invasion.
Sometimes I think Obama hires all these worthless Czars just so he can look like he's on top of things.

Jeepers, do you not think that what you have suggested could be on the czar's list of things to accomplish? Or do you think the czar is going to buy a fishing rod and do it all himself? *facepalm*

An expert NEEDS to organize a strategic way to deal with the asian carp issue, because the problem is not going to solve itself.

I am not the one who started the thread to bitch about another czar. The issue of the carp is very important an involves a lawsuit the state of Michigan has filed against the states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Minnesota. It sounds silly, but there is a big issue going on. It could end up with the closure of the locks into the great lakes, which would have a huge impact on several states.

Nope...someone else started a thread to bitch about another Czar...a carp Czar...a federal Czar...and a committee and commission...over...a species of fish. me..I kinda think he has a point.

Some more information on why this is happening: Expert: High risk of Asian carp invading Great Lakes | MLive.com

Signs of Asian carp in Chicago waterways mean there's a great risk the invasive fish could slip into Lake Michigan at any time, a witness said Tuesday in the first full day of testimony in a five-state lawsuit.

Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Minnesota and Pennsylvania want a federal judge to close two shipping locks and install barriers to prevent the ravenous fish from overrunning the Great Lakes and potentially devastating its $7 billion-a-year fishing industry.

"I think there is a risk, a very imminent risk of invasion," biologist David Lodge testified for the states. He added ominously that such "invasions are often irreversible."

The city of Chicago, the regional barge industry and others object to closing the locks, arguing the move would undermine critical flood-control measures and hurt businesses who rely heavily on the waterways.

Nope...someone else started a thread to bitch about another Czar...a carp Czar...a federal Czar...and a committee and commission...over...a species of fish. me..I kinda think he has a point.

This "fish" is at the center of a multi-state lawsuit and could have an impact measured in the billions of dollars. It's easy to make fun of it without understanding the underlying issues.

This "fish" is at the center of a multi-state lawsuit and could have an impact measured in the billions of dollars. It's easy to make fun of it without understanding the underlying issues.

I understand this issue pretty well. Ive seen what happens when idiot 'environmentalists' plant lake trout in lakes to thwart sportfishing. Ive seen the efforts to clean up the problem first hand in several lakes. Ive seen the efforts to end millfoil intrusion firsthand. And I understand the issue here as well...a voracious predator (like lake trout) introduced in one area (like tiger muskie have been) and then spilling into other lakes and reservoirs. Yes...it happens. And yes, there are people that need to act on it. And have. And sonofagun...they didnt have to create federal commissions to resolve those problems in the past...

80 million would pay for a lot of fishermen targeting those fish.

There are not enough fisherman to eliminate the threat, and if they make it into the great lakes, it would be like the ideal environment for them. I suspect that part of the 80 million will go to fishing, but I doubt that is the whole solution. 80 million to solve a potentially multi-billion dollar issue is money well spent.

I understand this issue pretty well. Ive seen what happens when idiot 'environmentalists' plant lake trout in lakes to thwart sportfishing. Ive seen the efforts to clean up the problem first hand in several lakes. Ive seen the efforts to end millfoil intrusion firsthand. And I understand the issue here as well...a voracious predator (like lake trout) introduced in one area (like tiger muskie have been) and then spilling into other lakes and reservoirs. Yes...it happens. And yes, there are people that need to act on it. And have. And sonofagun...they didnt have to create federal commissions to resolve those problems in the past...

Those problems where on a much smaller scale. When you are dealing with a multi-state, multi-billion dollar problem, you put together a group of people to work on it. I don't see what is complicated about that.

There are not enough fisherman to eliminate the threat, and if they make it into the great lakes, it would be like the ideal environment for them. I suspect that part of the 80 million will go to fishing, but I doubt that is the whole solution. 80 million to solve a potentially multi-billion dollar issue is money well spent.
Perhaps. Here is hoping that it isnt more wasted federal money. I think MAYBE what people might object to is that we have all these wonderful department s and secretaries over major areas...and then the fed (yes...starting with Bush) started creating duplicate positions...and now we are at...what...27...28 'Czar' positions? in addition to the cabinet positions? Its ridiculous. Its wasteful.

Perhaps. Here is hoping that it isnt more wasted federal money. I think MAYBE what people might object to is that we have all these wonderful department s and secretaries over major areas...and then the fed (yes...starting with Bush) started creating duplicate positions...and now we are at...what...27...28 'Czar' positions? in addition to the cabinet positions? Its ridiculous. Its wasteful.

Who else is in charge of handling the problem and coordinating among the various agencies? Stop and think about it from a logical basis. Potential drastic federal(multi-state) problem involving among other things a dispute among states. A solution is needed, and it crosses several departments with competing priorities. What do you do? Put together a few people, give them the money to do something, give them the authority to get co-operation and co-ordinate the departments involved? If you do that, don't you need some one to actually be in charge of that group of people?

We have a lot of people on welfare and unemployed. Maybe they could use a temporary income. :)
I don't see the need for this czar.
Sorry, I didn't research him yet. Is he really some sort of an expert on keeping invasive species of fish out of lakes? Is Obama's record that great at choosing czars?

We have a lot of people on welfare and unemployed. Maybe they could use a temporary income. :)
I don't see the need for this czar.
Sorry, I didn't research him yet. Is he really some sort of an expert on keeping invasive species of fish out of lakes? Is Obama's record that great at choosing czars?

a) He is not a czar, he is the head of a commission.

b) how many of those welfare and unemployed people have the skills necessary? Is a solution even known yet? Do they have a plan of attack, or is that where they are starting, with figuring out how to solve the problem?

c) Stupidly simple solutions come up by people totally unfamiliar with the issue tend to have about zero chance of succeeding.

I found all I needed to know about this Czar--CHICAGO again---Environmental ACTIVIST---He's a hot shot in The World Wildlife Federation.
Obama didn't disappoint. I knew he chose this guy for some reason. It's just another pay off for a Chicago Obama Buddy.Waste of our money.

Sep 8, 2010 ... John Goss, an environmental activist and former state official from ... and gates in Chicago that could give the carp an opening to the lake ...
Ind. activist to head federal anti-carp campaign

Jeepers, do you not think that what you have suggested could be on the czar's list of things to accomplish? Or do you think the czar is going to buy a fishing rod and do it all himself? *facepalm*

An expert NEEDS to organize a strategic way to deal with the asian carp issue, because the problem is not going to solve

itself.

No, I think the Czar is going to be a very expensive, worthless employee of the American People. He's an environmental activist from chicago and probably collecting on a debt from Obama.

I found all I needed to know about this Czar--CHICAGO again---Environmental ACTIVIST---He's a hot shot in The World Wildlife Federation.
Obama didn't disappoint. I knew he chose this guy for some reason. It's just another pay off for a Chicago Obama Buddy.Waste of our money.

Sep 8, 2010 ... John Goss, an environmental activist and former state official from ... and gates in Chicago that could give the carp an opening to the lake ...
Ind. activist to head federal anti-carp campaign

You really should read the whole article:

For four years, Goss has served as executive director of the National Wildlife Federation's Indiana affiliate. Previously, he was director of the state Department of Natural Resources and also served as vice chairman of the Great Lakes Commission, an agency representing the region's eight states.

So you have some one knowledgeable about the issue and the region in charge. Damn that Obama! How unreasonable!

You really should read the whole article:

So you have some one knowledgeable about the issue and the region in charge. Damn that Obama! How unreasonable!

He's an environmental activist. That's not the person you want to solve this problem. There will be so much red tape, nothing (good) will come of this.

He's an environmental activist. That's not the person you want to solve this problem. There will be so much red tape, nothing (good) will come of this.

Well I'm glad we have your expert opinion on a matter you so obviously are an expert on.

God forbid we have someone who is concerned about the environment dealing with an environmental issue.

Back
Top Bottom