• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

Status
Not open for further replies.

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Washington (CNN) -- A doctor. A cop. A little girl. A Phillies fan.

They're all Muslims. And, they emphasize in a new online commercial that begins appearing this week, they're all Americans.

"I don't want to take over this country," the dozen-plus speakers say in the public service announcement. "I don't support terrorism."

The online video is an effort to fight back against "the rising tide of fear-mongering" resulting from plans to build a Muslim community center in lower Manhattan in New York, the group behind it said.

There are millions of Muslims right here in the United States, and guess what else? They are American citizens, who love this country, hate terrorism, and yes, some of them even fight and die for this country, by joining the military. This ad speaks for them, and puts the spotlight back on those who hate them for no other reason than their religion. Jim Crow didn't die in America. It merely chose another group of people as its target.

Yes, America is a nation founded by Christians, but our forefathers had something to say about tolerance of other religions:

Thomas Jefferson said:
Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination.

Because someone has chosen Islam as a religion does not make him a terrorist, any more than someone choosing Christianity does. Do we blame Christianity for the Mississippi Burning episode of American history, or the bombing in Oklahoma City? No, we don't. We blame assholes. By the same token, we cannot judge those whose only crime is to practice their religion, especially those who practice American patriotism at the same time. It was assholes who hit the World Trade Center, not Muslims who live here in America as peaceful citizens.

In Iran, self righteous Mullahs are in the process of convicting and putting to death people who practice the Baha'i' religion. Let us not be Mullahs today, but give Muslim Americans the same respect we give to all other Americans. After all, they are Americans too. And when we end our lives, and stand before our maker, we can be comfortable in the fact that we did not live our lives as the Mullahs did, condemning innocent people for the acts of assholes, for that would make us assholes ourselves, and undeserving of any reward in the afterlife. Jesus spoke of love, not hatred. It's time that some of us practiced what we preach.

Article is here.

Last edited:
Here's the ad:

It's very nice, except for the part where they do that terrorist hand jive thingy.

Thanks for that video Right it was awesome. Although I am not sure about that Muslim who is a Philly fan. Most Philly fans are terrorists in their own way. Jumping onto the field during a baseball game and such.

The Ground Zero Mosque isn't an issue of freedom of Religion, no one is saying no Mosque's can be built in New York, what I think the 9/11 families are saying is that it's an incredibly insensitive, to put it lightly, spot to build this Mosque. If I'm not mistaking, the developer of this Mosque has sought funding from terrorist organizations like Hamas, for the center, blames 9/11 on America. I can certainly sympathize with the families concerns.

The Ground Zero Mosque isn't an issue of freedom of Religion, no one is saying no Mosque's can be built in New York, what I think the 9/11 families are saying is that it's an incredibly insensitive, to put it lightly, spot to build this Mosque. If I'm not mistaking, the developer of this Mosque has sought funding from terrorist organizations like Hamas, for the center, blames 9/11 on America. I can certainly sympathize with the families concerns.
Then how close is too close? Three blocks is too close but four is ok?

Then how close is too close? Three blocks is too close but four is ok?

I don't know, I believe in private property rights don't get me wrong, but I can absoulty sympathize with the 9/11 families.

My guess however, would be a building far enough away as to not have been damaged by the attacks itself.

What you are quoting about Imam Rauf's donations and statements are inaccurate and exaggerations being perpetrated by those who would restrict the rights of those to practice their religion.

The sensitivies of the families of victims are certainly fair. However, instead of the way this is being played out, why don't they sit down with the developers of the mosque and address their concerns until everyone is satisfied.

This was announced as a plan in December of 2009 and made front page New York Times news.

If find disingenous that it's become a concern only recently.

Additionally, the single largest donor supporting the mosque is also the 2nd largest shareholder in Fox Newscorp.
News Corp’s number-two shareholder funded ‘terror mosque’ planner - Yahoo! News

So, if this is a "terror mosque", what does that say about Fox News?

I don't know, I believe in private property rights don't get me wrong, but I can absoulty sympathize with the 9/11 families.

My guess however, would be a building far enough away as to not have been damaged by the attacks itself.

What about the 9/11 families who support it?

Their outrage, or those who are actually outraged, would make more sense to me if it was directed at those responsible (al Qaeda) and not those who did not attack on 9/11.

I read your post before I replied to Hoplite.
If I hadn't it would have looked like a double post.
Anyway, you and I are apparantly just a couple of bigoted Islamaphobes.

So, if this is a "terror mosque", what does that say about Fox News?

That they're a subsidiary of a publicly traded corporation. Didn't we have an entire thread about this already?

That they're a subsidiary of a publicly traded corporation. Didn't we have an entire thread about this already?

Probably about 10 in fact. But now that the subject, has yet again, been brought up people will focus on talking about that.

Yep. But it doesn't change the fact of where the money came from. ;)

Half of lower Manhattan would be off-limits then. Is there like a criteria of damage? Being hit by a pen from the building takes less precedence than a filing cabinet flying through the window? Or do you have to be hit by something REALLY big to count?

There are millions of Muslims right here in the United States, and guess what else? They are American citizens, who love this country, hate terrorism, and yes, some of them even fight and die for this country, by joining the military. This ad speaks for them, and puts the spotlight back on those who hate them for no other reason than their religion. Jim Crow didn't die in America. It merely chose another group of people as its target.

Yes, America is a nation founded by Christians, but our forefathers had something to say about tolerance of other religions:

Because someone has chosen Islam as a religion does not make him a terrorist, any more than someone choosing Christianity does. Do we blame Christianity for the Mississippi Burning episode of American history, or the bombing in Oklahoma City? No, we don't. We blame assholes. By the same token, we cannot judge those whose only crime is to practice their religion, especially those who practice American patriotism at the same time. It was assholes who hit the World Trade Center, not Muslims who live here in America as peaceful citizens.

In Iran, self righteous Mullahs are in the process of convicting and putting to death people who practice the Baha'i' religion. Let us not be Mullahs today, but give Muslim Americans the same respect we give to all other Americans. After all, they are Americans too. And when we end our lives, and stand before our maker, we can be comfortable in the fact that we did not live our lives as the Mullahs did, condemning innocent people for the acts of assholes, for that would make us assholes ourselves, and undeserving of any reward in the afterlife. Jesus spoke of love, not hatred. It's time that some of us practiced what we preach.

Article is here.

You know - when Martin Luther wrote a pamphlet about "Jesus was a Jew" it had the adverse effect and instead of bringing more people into the folds of Christianity it actually sent them into the folds of Judaism.

Once Luther saw that occuring he turned against the Jews and actually supported them to be nixed from the region and sent elsewhere.

Example of how religious-sculpting can backfire.

He's persistent if nothing else.

I was watching something where a guy from CAIR was defending the building of the Mosque. I'm not sure if they are helping fund it, but hasn't CAIR funded terrorist organizations in the past?

Article is here.

Why the video?

What you are quoting about Imam Rauf's donations and statements are inaccurate and exaggerations being perpetrated by those who would restrict the rights of those to practice their religion.

"The U.S. is an accessory to the 9/11 attacks" Imam Rauf

"The U.S. is an accessory to the 9/11 attacks" Imam Rauf

He says nothing different than Glen Beck says. And many others. I knw it is popular totake things out of context and try to make them seomthng they aren't, but presenting his comments this way is dishonest.

How about Muslims becoming *TOLERANT* of homosexuals?

Why not Muslims, Muslim organizations, Imams and Islamic centers around the nation step up and stop the *persecution* of gays and lesbians?

Why don't Muslims protest in front of the Saudi embassy, the U.N. and other human right's abusers and *demand* that GLBT persecution end?

How about Muslims becoming *TOLERANT* of homosexuals?

Alot of Christains aren't...

Why not Muslims, Muslim organizations, Imams and Islamic centers around the nation step up and stop the *persecution* of gays and lesbians?

Do they persecute them in YOUR country? No they don't.

Why don't Muslims protest in front of the Saudi embassy, the U.N. and other human right's abusers and *demand* that GLBT persecution end?

Why don't Christains, Jews and Bhuddists do that too?

You are mistaken.

Article is here.

I hear Muslims speaking out against the methodology, but I don't hear Muslims speaking out against the ideology. Why is that?

I hear Muslims speaking out against the methodology, but I don't hear Muslims speaking out against the ideology. Why is that?
More importantly, why does the answer to your question matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom