• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link

Quote(The U.S. government is snapping up Russian-made helicopters to form the core of Afghanistan's fledgling air force, a strategy that is drawing flak from members of Congress who want to force the Afghans to fly American choppers instead.

In a turnabout from the Cold War, when the CIA gave Stinger missiles to Afghan rebels to shoot down Soviet helicopters, the Pentagon has spent $648 million to buy or refurbish 31 Russian Mi-17 transport helicopters for the Afghan National Army Air Corps. The Defense Department is seeking to buy 10 more of the Mi-17s next year, and had planned to buy dozens more over the next decade.)

Guess Obami is simply following the communist path to greater glory!

If you want the best, top of the line military gear and are willing to pay out of the nose for it, you buy American.

If you want the best bang for your buck, no pun intended, you buy Russian.

You should familiarize yourself with Ockam's Razor.

I'm not having much of a problem with this for a few reasons.

1) Why should we give away our aircraft technology to someone who may reveal that technology to an agressor?

2) We probably got a better deal than just giving them American made aircraft.

3) Now, the Afghans will have to buy their own spare parts from Russia vs. us having to give them an endless line of credit.

Link

Quote(The U.S. government is snapping up Russian-made helicopters to form the core of Afghanistan's fledgling air force, a strategy that is drawing flak from members of Congress who want to force the Afghans to fly American choppers instead.

In a turnabout from the Cold War, when the CIA gave Stinger missiles to Afghan rebels to shoot down Soviet helicopters, the Pentagon has spent $648 million to buy or refurbish 31 Russian Mi-17 transport helicopters for the Afghan National Army Air Corps. The Defense Department is seeking to buy 10 more of the Mi-17s next year, and had planned to buy dozens more over the next decade.)

Obama is spending too much. Obama is spending too much. Why isn't Obama spending more. Why don't you make up your mind what you want, beyond complaining about Obama.

As I understand the issue, many of the Afghan pilots including the old timers are familiar with Russian helicopters. Furthermore, it's likely easier to get parts since the manufactures are relatively close. It seems pretty logical to buy weapons your crews are already used to and are likely cheaper to buy and maintain.

But you know, I go on logic and facts. So what do I know?

Russian helicopters are simply a better value. Unless you need fancy electronics, blackhawks are just overpriced 70's tech.

Obama is spending too much. Obama is spending too much. Why isn't Obama spending more. Why don't you make up your mind what you want, beyond complaining about Obama.

Probably because Afghanistan could have been sold American manufactured helicoptors which would have put American Workers back to work in America.

There was no reason to sell (gift) Afghanistan the latest most secret Helicioptors, or are the American helicoptors not up to the standard of these Russian ones, because I would bet my bottom dollar that the russians will not sell Afghanistan their latest top secret helicoptor either.

Credit where it is due. Both the left and right come together to point out the flaws with this rant thread.

Probably because Afghanistan could have been sold American manufactured helicoptors which would have put American Workers back to work in America.

There was no reason to sell (gift) Afghanistan the latest most secret Helicioptors, or are the American helicoptors not up to the standard of these Russian ones, because I would bet my bottom dollar that the russians will not sell Afghanistan their latest top secret helicoptor either.

If he would have given them American made helicopters, you would have complained about him spending on the more expensive ones.

Such as....Hueys? Besides, it is cheaper to buy the Russian copters, ship them from Russia, train crews on interfaces they already are familiar with and get cheaper parts...all of which saves tax dollars.

We're not selling them Comanches. Well, we can't now. lol.

And the comparable equivilent to the Mi-17 is the Blackhawk. Apparently you can also get three, count 'em 3 Mi-17s for the price of a single blackhawk.

If we are trying to get out of Aghanistan, how is delaying training going to help that?

Firs of all, the Russian Helicopters that are purchased are converted already to the terrain in the area, the helicopters are much more recognized by the Afghan pilots as the history shows the involvment of Russian influence in the area.
It's funny, that the US helped the Afghan Taliban by giving them AA's and RPG's in the 80's for knocking down the same helicopters they now purchasing for the Afghans, when the Afghan rebels resisted the Soviets.

Link

I see the irony, but then there's practicality. The irony isn't wasted here believe me - but frankly, I don't see the Opium money going to buy the helo's so while I detest Obama policy, this issue I don't have a problem with. I don't want to give America's best technology to Afghanistan - nor any other country if possible. So older Mi17 with some rocket pods on them for Afghans own use - great. More power to them.

Um they could have used that $648 billion to buy American, at least then the spending would have been reinvested into our own economy rather than that of a foreign power.

If he would have given them American made helicopters, you would have complained about him spending on the more expensive ones.

Uh these helicopters were likely purchased from the Russian's mothballed aircraft, likewise we could have sold them cheaper outdated aircraft as well. We could have sold them black hawks and cobras.

What about creating american jobs? Hope and change, anybody?

There's still 2/3 of the stimulus package left, and this is an election year, so depending on how many months it takes to get up to speed, look for more spending on infrastructure jobs. It's all about dirty politics, not the people.

ricksfolly

.... 678$ million wouldn't create any jobs. We'd simply sell them the **** we don't use.

Uh these helicopters were likely purchased from the Russian's mothballed aircraft, likewise we could have sold them cheaper outdated aircraft as well. We could have sold them black hawks and cobras.

O'rly?

You can buy 3 Mi-17s for the price of a single blackhawk. Furthermore, delays in training aren't helping and shipping these things would be a colossal pain. The decision to buy the Russian equipment from a tactical, non-partisan objective view is better then buying American.

Link

The Russians make some very nice equipment.
It's not a big deal.

.... 678$ million wouldn't create any jobs.

Yes, it would. Directly or indirectly
We'd simply sell them the **** we don't use.

That didn't happen. Apparently, no effort was made to put food on American workers tables as much as possible by buying American

Yes, it would. Directly or indirectly

That didn't happen. Apparently, no effort was made to put food on American workers tables as much as possible by buying American

So you approve of the government spending money to stimulate the economy?

So you approve of the government spending money to stimulate the economy?

Do you think that these people realize that they are holding contridictory positions? Maybe when we attach the word "MILITARY" their brains stop fuctioning? Similar to how we add "OIL" and suddenly supply and demand doesn't apply?

Do you think that these people realize that they are holding contridictory positions? Maybe when we attach the word "MILITARY" their brains stop fuctioning? Similar to how we add "OIL" and suddenly supply and demand doesn't apply?

They did with Reagan. "Reagan cut taxes and cut spending", completely forgetting that the military is spending...

Back
Top Bottom