• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Marine message

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Screenshot-2020-06-13-Reddit-on-Twitter-I-m-the-Marine-who-stood-at-attention-for-3-hours-in-100-deg.png

EaVyWjuX0AIirS1

One marine is not a message from the US Marine Corps. Your thread title is misleading, as usual.

He's entitled to his opinion. I am not judging his opinions today. I am judging your presentation of his opinions.

One marine is not a message from the US Marine Corps. Your thread title is misleading, as usual.

He's entitled to his opinion. I am not judging his opinions today. I am judging your presentation of his opinions.

U. S. Marine is singular. I learned that back in grade school.

He shouldn’t be doing this in uniform, but that’s just my opinion.

U. S. Marine is singular. I learned that back in grade school.

Go back to grade school. It is common to say US Marine in this context as representing the entire Corps.

All she had to say was "A message from a US Marine." Context is everything.

If he is still enlisted, he will answer to superior officers for not clearing his statement prior to release. Had he done so he could have had a paragraph at the end of the statement saying it was cleared. As a retiree, he has the right to wear his dress blues at any function, approved or not.

At times, my father would wear his dress blues when he was in the mood to go into a bar where young army pukes hung out, for the sole purpose of starting a fight and the pleasure of beating up young army pukes. I was on the short end of one of those beatings, along with seven recent co-graduates from OCS. My father was crippled by strokes, and we still got our rear ends handed to us. Two of my uncles in their police uniforms and one in mufti watched and applauded. I need a nap.

Go back to grade school. It is common to say US Marine in this context as representing the entire Corps.

All she had to say was "A message from a US Marine." Context is everything.

No, whenever U.S. Marine is used to represent plural, it is accompanied by "Corps".

What the hell is misleading about the title? "US Marine message" ?? I did not type "a message from the US Marines" and I did not say "US MARINES MESSAGE" and I did not say "A Message from the US Marine Corps" !

Next time I want to start a thread, I'll come to you for your approval first, okay boss?

Geesus talk about nit-picking

He is also not on active duty, or he would have committed a crime against the UCMJ and a violation of the Hatch Act of 1939 which Obama strengthened when he signed the Hatch Modernization Act of 2012 into law. Active duty personnel are not allowed political opinions, or any of the Bill of Rights. For the duration of their contract they are federal property.

What the hell is misleading about the title? "US Marine message" ?? I did not type "a message from the US Marines" and I did not say "US MARINES MESSAGE" and I did not say "A Message from the US Marine Corps" !

Next time I want to start a thread, I'll come to you for your approval first, okay boss?

Don't worry, he's already been schooled.

He is also not on active duty, or he would have committed a crime against the UCMJ and a violation of the Hatch Act of 1939 which Obama strengthened when he signed the Hatch Modernization Act of 2012 into law. Active duty personnel are not allowed political opinions, or any of the Bill of Rights. For the duration of their contract they are federal property.

Correct, he is a retiree which is why he is allowed to do that. The DoD has already put out notices that military members are not allowed to attend or protest in uniform and in some cases not at all.

The higher loyalty is to the constitution, honor, and duty. He served that admirably.

General Mark Milley should have known all of that before he walked alongside Trump in his combat uniform on the way to St. John's for a Bible photo shoot after dispersing protestors with tear gas and concussion bombs.

Correct, he is a retiree which is why he is allowed to do that. The DoD has already put out notices that military members are not allowed to attend or protest in uniform and in some cases not at all.

He is not a retired General, where did you get that idea? He apologized for being a prop for that stunt in case you haven't heard. He's currently Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he's the nation's highest-ranking military officer, and the principal military advisor for Trump. NOT retired. Maybe he didn't receive the DoD memo.

He is not a retired General, where did you get that idea? He apologized for being a prop for that stunt in case you haven't heard. He's currently Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he's the nation's highest-ranking military officer, and the principal military advisor for Trump. NOT retired. Maybe he didn't receive the DoD memo.

the Marine's name in the OP is Todd Winn. Todd is not a General.

the Marine's name in the OP is Todd Winn. Todd is not a General.

I apologize, I thought you were talking about the General that accompanied Trump on his totally political stunt in D.C.

I apologize, I thought you were talking about the General that accompanied Trump on his totally political stunt in D.C.

Yeah, that general you are talking about was 100% in the wrong.

Unless something changed I believe what he is doing is a punishable offense.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If he is still enlisted, he will answer to superior officers for not clearing his statement prior to release. Had he done so he could have had a paragraph at the end of the statement saying it was cleared. As a retiree, he has the right to wear his dress blues at any function, approved or not.

Couldn’t agree more.

One of the problems I have with making pronouncements like this is that it assumes facts that are not in evidence. There is no evidence, as of yet, that it was racially motivated. Neither can we determine that there was racial indifference. The event can be wrong with or without those elements. Surely though, for this Marine’s statement to be honorable, those elements must be present, clear and obvious. Well meaning, is not enough. Additionally, the accused is afforded the presumption of innocence, and if he truly stands by his oath to the Constitution, then it would serve him well to remember this. I could go on, but I’ll leave it at that for now as to why I hold the opinion that I do...

The higher loyalty is to the constitution, honor, and duty. He served that admirably.

That’s a matter of opinion. It could very easily be argued that such a statement does not afford the presumption of innocence to the accused, thus dishonoring his oath to the Constitution.

Follow the thread, the answer is plain as day.

This is correct. Save your politics for out of uniform. It does not invalidate his opinion, but is a major mistake on his part.

Back
Top Bottom