• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Justice Department probes SpaceX after hiring discrimination complaint

chuckiechan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

(Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Justice is probing Elon Musk’s rocket company SpaceX over whether the company discriminates against non-U.S. citizens in its hiring, according to court documents filed on Thursday.

The Justice Department’s Immigrant and Employee Rights division received a complaint of employment discrimination from a non-U.S. citizen, who alleged that SpaceX discriminated against him based on his citizenship status.

I knew California had a state law making illegal aliens equal to citizens, but I didn’t know it went federal. So it appears that you cannot decline to hire an illegal alien because you think a citizen in a better fit.

I can’t wait to hear what Musk has to say!

I knew California had a state law making illegal aliens equal to citizens, but I didn’t know it went federal. So it appears that you cannot decline to hire an illegal alien because you think a citizen in a better fit.

This is not about illegals. This is about legal non-US citizens. You do know that non-Americans can legally live and work inside America, right?

I follow space news closely and Elon isn't the kind of guy who gives rats ass about your country of origin one way or the other. Elon cares about your ability to do the job. The only way I can see SpaceX discriminating against someone's nationality is if it would undermine the secret security clearance required for a lot of jobs dealing with ICBMs and satellite communications.

Last edited:

Wait...the person is not a US Citizen and is not a lawful permanent resident and somehow it is illegal to NOT hire them to work for you?

Jesus Christ...we have officially entered Bizarro World.

Under Federal and California anti-discrimination laws, employers cannot illegally discriminate against any worker, including undocumented workers. Therefore, even if you are an undocumented worker, your employer cannot fire you, refuse to hire you, harass you, or take other action against you because of your national origin (including your English language capabilities), race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, age, or disability, or (under California law) for other reasons such as your sexual ...
Employment Rights of Undocumented Workers
legalaidatwork.org/factsheet/undocumented-workers-employment-rights/
legalaidatwork.org/factsheet/undocumented-workers-employment-rights/

They must have snuck that in when no one was looking! (1994)

Our problem is that we keep the same IDIOTS in office, both on the state and federal levels.

They should hire 10 that don't speak english and ask the state to provide translators.

Who knows the difference between an illegal immigrant and an undocumented worker?

Democrats believe in the “mobility of labor” where groups of stateless people wander the US to where the demand is, as if borders don’t exist and the continent is just an economic region. And by so doing have as much right to Americans resources as citizens.

Back
Top Bottom