• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Intelligence Is Helping Ukraine Kill Russian Generals, Officials Say

jpn

Retired Navy Commander
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Per the NYT:

The United States has provided intelligence about Russian units that has allowed Ukrainians to target and kill many of the Russian generals who have died in action in the Ukraine war, according to senior American officials.​
[...]​
The United States has focused on providing the location and other details about the Russian military’s mobile headquarters, which relocate frequently. Ukrainian officials have combined that geographic information with their own intelligence — including intercepted communications that alert the Ukrainian military to the presence of senior Russian officers — to conduct artillery strikes and other attacks that have killed Russian officers.​
[...]​
U.S. intelligence support to the Ukrainians has had a decisive effect on the battlefield, confirming targets identified by the Ukrainian military and pointing it to new targets. The flow of actionable intelligence on the movement of Russian troops that America has given Ukraine has few precedents.​

I'm glad we're assisting Ukraine in this manner, and not at all surprised. However, I'm not happy that this was leaked.

Per the NYT:

The United States has provided intelligence about Russian units that has allowed Ukrainians to target and kill many of the Russian generals who have died in action in the Ukraine war, according to senior American officials.​
[...]​
The United States has focused on providing the location and other details about the Russian military’s mobile headquarters, which relocate frequently. Ukrainian officials have combined that geographic information with their own intelligence — including intercepted communications that alert the Ukrainian military to the presence of senior Russian officers — to conduct artillery strikes and other attacks that have killed Russian officers.​
[...]​
U.S. intelligence support to the Ukrainians has had a decisive effect on the battlefield, confirming targets identified by the Ukrainian military and pointing it to new targets. The flow of actionable intelligence on the movement of Russian troops that America has given Ukraine has few precedents.​

I'm glad we're assisting Ukraine in this manner, and not at all surprised. However, I'm not happy that this was leaked.

I think that was obvious by now. However, the distressing part is that who will the Russians now help and finance to kill Americans (military or civilians)? While I support Ukraine, I think the US directly bypassing a proxy war and directly financing and supplying Ukraine is going to have far greater negative impacts later for America.

I think that was obvious by now. However, the distressing part is that who will the Russians now help and finance to kill Americans (military or civilians)? While I support Ukraine, I think the US directly bypassing a proxy war and directly financing and supplying Ukraine is going to have far greater negative impacts later for America.

Almost certainly. And we’ll be utterly outraged when it happens, because “actions have consequences” is not something Americans understand.

Almost certainly. And we’ll be utterly outraged when it happens, because “actions have consequences” is not something Americans understand.
The Russian army differs greatly in composition in comparison to the American army. The American army delegates a great deal of decision making authority to it's junior officers and and rely heavily on the seasoned operational experience of senior enlisted non-commissioned officers. The Russian army doesn't really have a junior or non commissioned officer corps to speak of in that regard. Their organizational doctrine is likely causing them to place their generals in more hazardous situations than what their American counterparts are more or less apt to be in.

It's already happening. Willy Joseph Cancel Jr., 22, died in combat a week ago. American journalist and filmmaker Brent Renaud was killed last month.

They weren't specifically targetted, but the outcome is the same. Any US personnel in Ukraine assisting in the war is a legitimate target for Russia. Journalists and medical personnel are not.

Unlike you I guess, I think most American do understand that.

It's already happening. Willy Joseph Cancel Jr., 22, died in combat a week ago. American journalist and filmmaker Brent Renaud was killed last month.

They weren't specifically targetted, but the outcome is the same. Any US personnel in Ukraine assisting in the war is a legitimate target for Russia. Journalists and medical personnel are not.

Unlike you I guess, I think most American do understand that.

In other words, they weren’t actually targeted, but you think they got targeted because……reasons?🙄

And once again, since when? We sure as shit didn’t hesitate to blow the crap out of that medical facility in Kunduz.

In other words, they weren’t actually targeted, but you think they got targeted because……reasons?🙄
How about, wrong place, wrong time. Shit happens in war.
And once again, since when? We sure as shit didn’t hesitate to blow the crap out of that medical facility in Kunduz.
Pentagon Punishes 16 for Afghan Hospital Airstrike
A military investigation into the bombing of a Doctors Without Borders Hospital in Afghanistan in October [2016] found that human errors, fatigue, process and equipment failures were at fault in the deadly airstrike, defense officials said Friday.​
Sixteen U.S. military personnel have been disciplined for their roles in the bombing.​

And this:

U.S. provided intelligence that helped Ukraine sink Russian warship
The United States provided Ukraine with intelligence that helped Kyiv attack and sink the flagship of Russia’s Black Sea fleet, the Moskva, in one of the most dramatic battlefield successes of the 71-day old war, according to people familiar with the matter.​
Bravo!

Yes indeed, so am I...(tweet from about an hour ago).

And we’ll be utterly outraged when it happens, because “actions have consequences” is not something Americans understand.

Another of your usual anti-American posts, I see.

American action has certainly had consequences for Australia.....it kept us free.

Same for Western Europe.

I'm no American, but can you name a country that has had a more beneficial effect on the world in recent times?

Just one.

Back
Top Bottom