• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. intelligence chiefs contradict Trump on North Korea, Iran, and ISIS

MauiMan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
The New York Times

North Korea is unlikely to give up its nuclear stockpiles and Iran is not developing nuclear weapons, an intelligence assessment says, challenging the president’s assertions. Read the full story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The president has every right to ignore his intelligence chiefs, but why would he do this? How could he possibly know more than they do, and is he putting us all at risk by ignoring their advice?

The New York Times

North Korea is unlikely to give up its nuclear stockpiles and Iran is not developing nuclear weapons, an intelligence assessment says, challenging the president’s assertions. Read the full story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The president has every right to ignore his intelligence chiefs, but why would he do this? How could he possibly know more than they do, and is he putting us all at risk by ignoring their advice?

Look at how our military has performed and how it has been used since WW2 and how much we spend on it and how often military men have either not told us the truth or else have allowed politicians to lie towards the citizens for the answer.

Now they are on the right side?

The New York Times

Not only did they contradict Trump regarding the nature of extant security threats and foreign policy, glaringly absent from their remarks was mention of anything even remotely resembling a security threat resulting from refugees, asylum seekers, drug or human traffickers' incursions across the US southern border.

...So much for anything like the prospect of oft mentioned national emergency Trump has threatened to declare so as to get his wall built.

Last edited:
The New York Times

How could the NYT know more about these matters than our POTUS?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Look at how our military has performed and how it has been used since WW2 and how much we spend on it and how often military men have either not told us the truth or else have allowed politicians to lie towards the citizens for the answer.

Now they are on the right side?

So, are you saying the intelligence chiefs are lying to us in order to support the military?

No, the NYT is not claiming to know more than the president. It is reporting what the intelligence chiefs said today, which are in conflict with POTUS.

No, the NYT is not claiming to know more than the president. It is reporting what the intelligence chiefs said today, which are in conflict with POTUS.
Which ones?

Every last one of them need to be fired and fired now. You don't get to disagree and contradict your POTUS. Trump knows so much more than any of them and everyone knows it. Fire them now!

So, are you saying the intelligence chiefs are lying to us in order to support the military?

I am saying that based upon 70 years of experience you should know enough to never assume that they know what they are doing, nor should you assume that they care about the truth.

We are buying $15 billion aircraft carriers that dont work and $185 million planes many many years late that might or might not work someday....

Plus the Navy forgot how to navigate.....

Wake Up Please.

Last edited:
Every last one of them need to be fired and fired now. You don't get to disagree and contradict your POTUS. Trump knows so much more than any of them and everyone knows it. Fire them now!
Fire who? They dont name anyone. The fact that they expect to be taken seriously is laughable

The New York Times

He's joking tho...

Its alarming that a generation that grew up on the Pentagon papers and who has witnessed all of the failures of our military since that time....most disastrously in Iraq...reclines with a "Oh those Military folks are fine folks, the best we have, what ever they say must be right".

WILLFUL IGNORANCE

The New York Times

The voices in Trump's head are the only reliable source of intelligence. They say that ISIS is defeated, NK has quit its nuke program, and pulling out of the Iran deal was the right thing to do. They also say that the real crisis is on the border.

Everything coming from outside Trump's skull is fake news.

Which ones?

Read the article, and it will tell you. I’m not trying to be smart about it, but it doesn’t seem like you read it.

That is an easy one. The reporters and investigative reporting staffs of the NYT are informed and intelligent.

That all said, this is not the NYT, the article links to the actual document "Worldwide Threat Assessment of the National Intelligence Community" You can read the actual document yourself, assuming you have such skills.

https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/2019-ATA-SFR---SSCI.pdf

The National Intelligence Community, even more so than the staff of the NYT, is way more informed and way more intelligent than Trump.

We, of course, all take note of the fact that you choose to respond the OP without even opening it. Of course, that begs the question "why would you want to make an argument from a position of ignorance?"

Last edited:
The voices in Trump's head are the only reliable source of intelligence. They say that ISIS is defeated, NK has quit its nuke program, and pulling out of the Iran deal was the right thing to do. They also say that the real crisis is on the border.

Everything coming from outside Trump's skull is fake news.

I hear you. But why is the president ignoring the intelligence chiefs? What could the president possibly know that the intelligence chiefs do not?

I hear you. But why is the president ignoring the intelligence chiefs? What could the president possibly know that the intelligence chiefs do not?

Not following subordinates is not ignoring them....let us be clear on this point....and you have not presented any evidence that Trump did not hear them out and that he did not carefully consider what they had to say.

Not following subordinates is not ignoring them....let us be clear on this point....and you have not presented any evidence that Trump did not hear them out and that he did not carefully consider what they had to say.

OK, maybe he did listen and carefully consider their report. My question then is—why is he intentionally disregarding their advice? How could he possibly know more than they do, and is he putting us all at risk by ignoring their advice?

OK, maybe he did listen and carefully consider their report. My question then is—why is he intentionally disregarding their advice? How could he possibly know more than they do, and is he putting us all at risk by ignoring their advice?

I hope the situation is that he listened to everything they had to say and then listened to all the other smart people who have something to say on this, and then decided which argument appears to be more correct....that is all that a civilian leader of our military can do. We decided that we do not want a General in charge remember. There were reasons for this.

The New York Times

It is fairly obvious that anti-trump bias left over from the Obama administration is still tainting the evidence these newer section chiefs are being fed. Trump has excellent advisers on his staff, including men like Pompeo and Bolton. I would take the opinions of men like Coats and Wray only cautiously, not knowing how much bad propaganda they have been influenced with from previous liars who had a history of inventing fake spy dossiers and the like for purely evil political partisan reasons.

It doesn't fit with his scenario. On the one hand "only he" can fix the problems. On the flip side he's playing on fears around brown people taking jobs and killing people............especially women who are tied up with duct tape and some cannot even breathe.
I don't believe sanity is a strong suit.

It is fairly obvious that anti-trump bias left over from the Obama administration is still tainting the evidence these newer section chiefs are being fed. Trump has excellent advisers on his staff, including men like Pompeo and Bolton. I would take the opinions of men like Coats and Wray only cautiously, not knowing how much bad propaganda they have been influenced with from previous liars who had a history of inventing fake spy dossiers and the like for purely evil political partisan reasons.

:2rofll::2rofll:

If you say it enough times maybe someone will believe that. Keep trying.

I hope the situation is that he listened to everything they had to say and then listened to all the other smart people who have something to say on this, and then decided which argument appears to be more correct....that is all that a civilian leader of our military can do. We decided that we do not want a General in charge remember. There were reasons for this.

We do not have a general in charge of US intelligence.

Having excellent advisors like Pompeo and Bolton is a fine thing. Do you agree that bias is not good in situations like this?

It doesn't fit with his scenario. On the one hand "only he" can fix the problems. On the flip side he's playing on fears around brown people taking jobs and killing people............especially women who are tied up with duct tape and some cannot even breathe.
I don't believe sanity is a strong suit.

Yes, his thinking process is mystifying to me as a rational person. If you assume sanity is not his strength then I see your point. That being said, is he putting us all at risk by ignoring the advice of the intelligence chiefs?

Back
Top Bottom