• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Initial Jobless Claims Rose 25,000 to 410,000 Last Week

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
More Americans than projected filed first-time claims for unemployment insurance last week, a sign the improvement in the labor market will take time to develop.

Applications for jobless benefits increased by 25,000 to 410,000 in the week ended Feb. 12, exceeding the 400,000 median forecast of economists surveyed by Bloomberg News, Labor Department figures showed today. The total number of people receiving unemployment insurance was little changed, while those collecting extended payments decrease.

U.S. Initial Jobless Claims Rose 25,000 to 410,000 Last Week - Bloomberg

Let's see, back above 400K....Hmmmmm...Will there be a headline like the other thread how Jobless percentage rises back over 9%? Or are other stories like Egypt still more important than the failures of Obama to get this economy turned around.

j-mac

And, of course it was, "unexpected". :rofl

Let's see, back above 400K....Hmmmmm...Will there be a headline like the other thread how Jobless percentage rises back over 9%? Or are other stories like Egypt still more important than the failures of Obama to get this economy turned around.

j-mac

I would argue this:

Stop fooling yourself into thinking you can get back what is lost. I think our economic model has failed, and now we're artificially trying to bring it back when really, we should scrap it all together. The system has failed as an idea, and failed us the people. It worked for awhile, but it has been proven to be fundamentally flawed.

Do I have the answer? Nope. But if ya'll want to return to "The Good Old Days" whatever that even means to you, then you're sadly mistaken.

The world is changing, you're no longer going to be USA #1, there will come a day when the press will be equal in a Beijing press room as to the White House one, BUT you're not going to fall because you're no longer #1, that is a fallacy, I'm sure many people thought Britain itself would dissolve when the Empire did, that was not the case.

You guys have to change, put yourself on a different track, you're living in the past, a dangerous place to be. This is about the future of your nation.

"Some people think the future means the end of history, people can be very frightened of change" - James T. Kirk

If you keep thinking in such one dimensional terms, "Fix it, Fix It, Fix it!" You're going to get one dimensional solutions from your politicians.

Time to prepare for the next recalibration of how unemployment is measured. The new formula will be forgetting to carry the 1; it's only a 1 after all who needs it?

I would argue this:

Stop fooling yourself into thinking you can get back what is lost. I think our economic model has failed, and now we're artificially trying to bring it back when really, we should scrap it all together. The system has failed as an idea, and failed us the people. It worked for awhile, but it has been proven to be fundamentally flawed.

Do I have the answer? Nope. But if ya'll want to return to "The Good Old Days" whatever that even means to you, then you're sadly mistaken.

The world is changing, you're no longer going to be USA #1, there will come a day when the press will be equal in a Beijing press room as to the White House one, BUT you're not going to fall because you're no longer #1, that is a fallacy, I'm sure many people thought Britain itself would dissolve when the Empire did, that was not the case.

You guys have to change, put yourself on a different track, you're living in the past, a dangerous place to be. This is about the future of your nation.

"Some people think the future means the end of history, people can be very frightened of change" - James T. Kirk

If you keep thinking in such one dimensional terms, "Fix it, Fix It, Fix it!" You're going to get one dimensional solutions from your politicians.

There's where your wrong.. The system didn't fail, the PEOPLE running the system failed.

I would argue this:

That tracks need to be on the way to getting the government the hell out of the private sector. We need to vote out every dumbass that thinks the government can fix the economy.

j-mac

Who are you blaming now? The guy that spilt the milk or the guy that isn't cleaning it up fast enough?

It was obvious in 2008 that things were much worse than they were saying. Bush even hinted at a depression. It will be years if not decades before things get back to pre-2001 levels. Then again, this may be as good as it gets. The US may have peaked.

There's where your wrong.. The system didn't fail, the PEOPLE running the system failed.

Our current economic system of production, distribution and consumption is unsustainable and will lead to a global catastrophe never before seen by the likes of man.

Our current economic system of production, distribution and consumption is unsustainable and will lead to a global catastrophe never before seen by the likes of man.

What should we do, instead? Let the government run the show?

That tracks need to be on the way to getting the government the hell out of the private sector. We need to vote out every dumbass that thinks the government can fix the economy.

From all the rhetoric I have heard all the republicans and all the democrats believe they can fix the economy. So who do you vote into office?

Philly Fed business outlook survey:

The survey’s broadest measure of manufacturing conditions, the diffusion index of current activity, increased from 19.3 in January to 35.9 this month. This is the highest reading since January 2004 (see Chart). The demand for manufactured goods is showing continued strength: Although the new orders index was virtually unchanged in February, it has increased over the past six months. The shipments index also improved markedly, increasing 22 points. Firms also reported a rise in unfilled orders and longer delivery times this month.

Firms’ responses continue to indicate improving labor market conditions. The current employment index increased 6 points, and for the sixth consecutive month, the percentage of firms reporting an increase in employment (29 percent) is higher than the percentage reporting a decline (5 percent). More than twice as many firms reported a longer workweek (23 percent) than reported a shorter one (10 percent).
:yawn:

What should we do, instead? Let the government run the show?

I admitted I didn't have the answer, and that's not what I said.

Again, if you think in such one dimensional terms, you'll get one dimensional solutions.

This entire crisis was a combination of Government Failure, and private sector greed, and a system that is fundamentally flawed.

Such as:

Housing prices... they cannot go up forever.

I think if we add more government jobs and green jobs, raise taxes, and add more regulations the economy will start booming again.

From all the rhetoric I have heard all the republicans and all the democrats believe they can fix the economy. So who do you vote into office?

I think what you're missing, is that the Republicans know that the best way for them to fix the economy is to get out of the way and let the private sector do it.

Our economic system is manipulated and cajoled by politicians who have had little to no regard for reckless and irresponsible trade policy as well as borrowing and spending over decades. THAT will lead to a catastrophe if the irresponsibility and reckless behavior is not removed - now, not later. The U.S. is still 4th in the world for exports. The system hasn't failed, we've failed the system by selling our country and it's citzens out for welfare and the "common good".

I think if we add more government jobs and green jobs, raise taxes, and add more regulations the economy will start booming again.

And I think you are 100% absolutely positively wrong.

In fact, your opinion is so flawed, I'd like links to back up everything you said or I'm going to have to call it bull****.

Last edited:
I think what you're missing, is that the Republicans know that the best way for them to fix the economy is to get out of the way and let the private sector do it.
That campaign slogan is a little deceptive.
Since the private sector(AIG, Leyman Bros, Countrywide, Goldman Sachs. IndyMac, etc) created the economic collapse how can that be? Getting out of it's way isn't going to help much, now is it? That was Bush's strategy. Remember? Without government help we would be in a depression worse than the Great Depression right now. Cutting taxes isn't the cure all like republicans claim. Bush's tax cuts during the housing boom helped creat the massive debt we have.

Reagan wanted to get out of the way too. It led to a 180 billion dollar bailout of the savings and loans. History repeated itself because they never learn.

Last edited:
How many are government workers, unemployed due to budget cuts? Remember, they're just 'collateral' damage.

"So be it".

How many are government workers, unemployed due to budget cuts? Remember, they're just 'collateral' damage.

"So be it".

A large number I'm hoping. 200,000 is a good number.... "So be it" doesn't have the panache of a "So let it be written... so let it be done." Kinda wish Boehner went with that one instead but ... whatever.

A large number I'm hoping. 200,000 is a good number.... "So be it" doesn't have the panache of a "So let it be written... so let it be done." Kinda wish Boehner went with that one instead but ... whatever.

That's all well and good - from your perspective - but when will the cons begin to accept responsibility for their part in unemployment? My guess is never and the op strengthens that guess.

j-mac said:
Or are other stories like Egypt still more important than the failures of Obama to get this economy turned around.

"So be it"

That campaign slogan is a little deceptive.
Since the private sector(AIG, Leyman Bros, Countrywide, Goldman Sachs. IndyMac, etc) created the economic collapse how can that be? Getting out of it's way isn't going to help much, now is it? That was Bush's strategy. Remember? Without government help we would be in a depression worse than the Great Depression right now. Cutting taxes isn't the cure all like republicans claim. Bush's tax cuts during the housing boom helped creat the massive debt we have.

Reagan wanted to get out of the way too. It led to a 180 billion dollar bailout of the savings and loans. History repeated itself because they never learn.

The government forced those companies to make those risky loans. If the government had stayed out of it--obviously--it might not have happened.

Getting out of it's way isn't going to help much, now is it?

How much money does your average middle class oilfield hand see on his paycheck, now days? Think the government might have something to do with that decrease in pay? Not to mention the decrease in the government's share of his pay.

That's all well and good - from your perspective - but when will the cons begin to accept responsibility for their part in unemployment? My guess is never and the op strengthens that guess.
When will the Democrats accept their responsibility for it as they controlled the Congress since the 110th Congress (2007)? My guess also, is never.

"So be it"

Yes... now Conservatives are going to cut the hell out of that bloated budget. So be it... and hurry up!!

The government forced those companies to make those risky loans. If the government had stayed out of it--obviously--it might not have happened.

y.

Man , you really are brainwashed.
How many loans did the government force them to make? Did the government force AIG to buy mortgage backed securities? I am not even going to waste my time.

http://www.responsiblelending.org/m...lame-for-blame-for-the-mortgage-meltdown.html

The Comptroller of the Currency. John C. Dugan, agrees: "CRA [the Community Reinvestment Act] is not the culprit behind the subprime mortgage lending abuses, or the broader credit quality issues in the marketplace. Indeed, the lenders most prominently associated with subprime mortgage lending abuses and high rates of foreclosure are lenders not subject to CRA. A recent study of 2006 Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data showed that banks subject to CRA and their affiliates originated or purchased only six percent of the reported high cost loans made to lower-income borrowers within their CRA assessment areas.

Last edited:

How much money does your average middle class oilfield hand see on his paycheck, now days? Think the government might have something to do with that decrease in pay? Not to mention the decrease in the government's share of his pay.

the governemnt never forced anybody to make risky loans. that's a blatant lie.

Back
Top Bottom