• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. forces say Turkey was deliberately ‘bracketing’ American troops with artillery fire in Syria

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
1)Trump gave Turkey the green light to kill the Kurds, our allies who helped us defeat ISIS, and now a massacre is under way.
2)The US joined Russia on the Security Counsel to defeat a resolution condemning Turkey's actions.
3)ISIS members are escaping, and Trump doesn't care.
4)And now our own military believes that Turkey is deliberately targeting positions near our forces to get them to leave the area, and again, Trump doesn't care.

Yes, Trump has clear profit interests in Turkey, but how do a couple towers explain this?

Turkish forces who launched multiple artillery rounds near a U.S. Special Operations outpost in northeastern Syria on Friday have known for months that Americans were there, according to four current and former U.S. officials, raising questions whether Turkey is trying to push American troops farther from the border.

One Army officer who has deployed to northeastern Syria and has knowledge of the situation said that multiple rounds of 155mm fire were launched from Turkey’s side of the border and that they had a “bracketing effect” in which shells landed on both sides of the U.S. outpost.

“That’s an area weapon,” the officer said, noting its explosive effects. “That’s not something we ever would have done to a partner force.”

The officer said that Turkey knew there were Americans on the hill and that it had to be deliberate. The service members vacated the outpost after the incident but returned on Saturday, according to a U.S. official and images circulating on social media.

“We had been there for months, and it is the most clearly defined position in that entire area,” the officer said.

“This was not a mistake,” he said.

McGurk, who often collaborated with the U.S. military in Syria before resigning his position in December, emphasized the increasing risks to Americans throughout Syria in an email Saturday.

“Turkey wants us off the the entire border region to a depth of 30 kilometers,” he said. “Based on all the facts available, these were warning fires on a known location, not inadvertent rounds.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ng-american-forces-with-artillery-fire-syria/

1)Trump gave Turkey the green light to kill the Kurds, our allies who helped us defeat ISIS, and now a massacre is under way.
2)The US joined Russia on the Security Counsel to defeat a resolution condemning Turkey's actions.
3)ISIS members are escaping, and Trump doesn't care.
4)And now our own military believes that Turkey is deliberately targeting positions near our forces to get them to leave the area, and again, Trump doesn't care.

Yes, Trump has clear profit interests in Turkey, but how do a couple towers explain this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ng-american-forces-with-artillery-fire-syria/

It's not my intention to hijack your thread Cardinal but I heard this earlier and thought it would be an adjunct to your thread.

The commander of U.S.-backed Syrian Kurdish forces reportedly told an American diplomat on Thursday that the United States is "leaving us to be slaughtered,"

Gen. Mazloum Kobani Abdi told William Roebuck, deputy special envoy to the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS, "You have given up on us. You are leaving us to be slaughtered."

Kobani is the head of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), who have been vital allies to the U.S. in the war on terror and fight against ISIS.

"You are not willing to protect the people, but you do not want another force to come and protect us," Kobani told the U.S. envoy, according to CNN, which obtained an internal readout of the meeting.

"You have sold us. This is immoral, "I need to know if you are capable of protecting my people, of stopping these bombs falling on us or not. I need to know, because if you're not, I need to make a deal with Russia and the regime now and invite their planes to protect this region," Mazloum said.

The portion I highlighted is the actual point of Trump's troop withdrawal.

Welp, Trump will officially down in history as the worst president after this. Hands down. Arguments to the contrary are no longer valid. Meanwhile Turkey and Pakistan just became the new Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan...

Sounds like some REMF talking out of his ass. You don't bracket a target laterally, it's done longitudinlly, with elevation and depression. Direction (windage) has already been determined before the spotting rounds are fired.

Besides, if the Turks know exactly where the U.S. position is located, that means they already have the exact grid coordinate of that position. If they wanted to shell it, they would only have to target that GC.

Trump has just freed countless isis fighters.

@rcallimachi: An SDF commander has confirmed to me that the Ain Issa camp has fallen and all the detainees (a population of thousands that includes ISIS supporters, ISIS relatives and civilians) have fled. “An unbelievable mess,” the commander said. Latest message: Rukmini Callimachi on Twitter: "An SDF commander has confirmed to me that the Ain Issa camp has fallen and all the detainees (a population of thousands that includes ISIS supporters, ISIS relatives and civilians) have fled. “An unbelievable mess,” the commander said. Latest message:… https://t.co/uINcZtyrf2"

From one of Trump’s enablers:

As Turkish backed fighters approach a Kurdish held city in #Syria:
*700 #ISIS supporters escaped
*Erdogan’s forces are filming themselves beheading Kurds
*U.S. troops are at serious risk of being cut off & of coming under attack by enemy fighters.

-Marco Rubio

Rubio’s going to be shocked when he learns that as a US Senator he has power to stop this sort of thing.

@BenjaminHallFNC: URGENT: US official tells me the situation in NE Syria is deteriorating rapidly. US Forces are at risk of being isolated and the risk of confrontation between Turkish proxies and US Forces is high. Extremist Turkish proxies are wearing SDF uniforms and killing civilians. @FoxNews

Republicans have completely ****ed our ability to do foreign policy for the foreseeable future. You can’t put this on Trump anymore. This is a Republican-wide problem.

Sometimes things are as they appear - this is treason. Trump is placing the interests of Putin and Erdogan above the interests of the US.

@BenjaminHallFNC: URGENT: US official tells me the situation in NE Syria is deteriorating rapidly. US Forces are at risk of being isolated and the risk of confrontation between Turkish proxies and US Forces is high. Extremist Turkish proxies are wearing SDF uniforms and killing civilians. @FoxNews

Republicans have completely ****ed our ability to do foreign policy for the foreseeable future. You can’t put this on Trump anymore. This is a Republican-wide problem.

That's a big risk right there because in the chaos, I don't know what kind of reins Turkey has on its proxy forces there. You have all sorts of questionable types making up the Turkish-backed fighters.

Sometimes things are as they appear - this is treason. Trump is placing the interests of Putin and Erdogan above the interests of the US.

@FaceTheNation: WATCH: .@EsperDoD tells @margaretbrennan that Kurds are expected to but have not yet brokered a deal with Russia and the Assad regime.
"There's every expectation...that the Syrian Kurds would cut a deal with the Syrian and Russian forces." Face The Nation on Twitter: "WATCH: .@EsperDoD tells @margaretbrennan that Kurds are expected to but have not yet brokered a deal with Russia and the Assad regime.
"There's every expectation...that the Syrian Kurds would cut a deal with the Syrian and Russian forces."… https://t.co/tEnT4xCxUz"

In just one week, we took hard core allies and turned them into a people that will hate the United States for generations. Nobody forgets treachery of this scale.

Sounds like some REMF talking out of his ass. You don't bracket a target laterally, it's done longitudinlly, with elevation and depression. Direction (windage) has already been determined before the spotting rounds are fired.

Besides, if the Turks know exactly where the U.S. position is located, that means they already have the exact grid coordinate of that position. If they wanted to shell it, they would only have to target that GC.

Please, you know as well as I do that ordinance falling within 200 meters are warning shots, particularly when the people firing have exact coordinates...

To try to deny that is far more than disingenuous...

Please, you know as well as I do that ordinance falling within 200 meters are warning shots, particularly when the people firing have exact coordinates...

To try to deny that is far more than disingenuous...

How do you know it was 200 meters? Everything so far reports "several hundred meters".

How do you know it was 200 meters? Everything so far reports "several hundred meters".

What an extraordinary coincidence. Turkey, knowing where our forces were stationed, managed to fire just to side of them over and over and over again.

Being a trump supporter requires logging on and pretending to be as stupid as humanly possible.

I will agree with that.

This was trumps decision but with the majority of Republicans backing those that are paying attention know what a betrayal this was.

But really is anyone surprised?

This is trumps MO he uses people and when they are no longer in his personal best interests he abandons them.

Giuliani will be feeling that very soon...

I will agree with that.

This was trumps decision but with the majority of Republicans backing those that are paying attention know what a betrayal this was.

But really is anyone surprised?

This is trumps MO he uses people and when they are no longer in his personal best interests he abandons them.

Giuliani will be feeling that very soon...

The last three years of Trump’s administration have been a national emergency in the making. As of this past week, that national emergency is here, so here’s a question: in light of the urgency of the situation, should Democrats vote to impeach right now?

I wonder how many military Trump voters sit out the next election.

The last three years of Trump’s administration have been a national emergency in the making. As of this past week, that national emergency is here, so here’s a question: in light of the urgency of the situation, should Democrats vote to impeach right now?

I think that may be too slow , article 25 may save thousands of lives...

I think that may be too slow , article 25 may save thousands of lives...

People need to let article 25 go. It ain’t happening. Impeachment is the only tool with a prayer of succeeding.

We just elected a dud.

We do that periodically. The voters have to fix this.

What an extraordinary coincidence. Turkey, knowing where our forces were stationed, managed to fire just to side of them over and over and over again.

Being a trump supporter requires logging on and pretending to be as stupid as humanly possible.

How do you know that?

We just elected a dud.

We do that periodically. The voters have to fix this.

My last painting was “a dud.” This is a national emergency.

How do you know that?

I find it remarkable that as a person with a military background you can justify trolling this thread.

People need to let article 25 go. It ain’t happening. Impeachment is the only tool with a prayer of succeeding.

Maybe so, however we are in a national emergency, and historically trumps MO is to move slow and challenge everything in court, even when he knows he will lose he runs people out of time and money.

I don't see him changing his game plan at all....

Back
Top Bottom