• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

U.S. foiled 10 terrorist plots

scottyz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
WASHINGTON -
President Bush said Thursday the United States and its allies had foiled at least 10 serious plots by the al-Qaida terror network in the last four years, including plans for Sept. 11-like attacks on both U.S. coasts.

The White House initially would not give details of the 10 plots that Bush mentioned in his morning speech before the National Endowment for Democracy, saying some information remained classified. But in the evening, the White House released a fact sheet with a brief, and vague, description of each.

Three targets cited were in the United States, including plans to use hijacked airplanes to attack the West Coast in mid-2002 and the East Coast in mid-2003. The White House said at least one planner of the West Coast attack was a key figure behind the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001.

The third was the case of Jose Padilla, a former Chicago gang member who converted to Islam and allegedly plotted with top al-Qaida commanders to detonate a radioactive "dirty bomb" in a U.S. city. Padilla, whose plot never materialized, was designated an enemy combatant by Bush and is being held without criminal charge at a Navy brig in South Carolina.

The White House said the other seven attacks included plans to:

• Bomb several sites in Britain in mid-2004.

• Attack Westerners at several places in Karachi, Pakistan, in spring 2003.

• Attack Heathrow Airport using hijacked commercial airliners in 2003.

• Carry out a large-scale bombing in Britain in spring 2004.

• Attack ships in the Arabian Gulf in late 2002/2003.

• Attack ships in the Straits of Hormuz, a narrow part of the Persian Gulf where it opens into the Arabian Sea, in 2002.

• Attack a tourist site outside the United States in 2003.

Democrats challenged Bush's arguments on the Iraq mission. "The president went into Iraq under a false premise, without a plan, and has totally mismanaged our involvement," said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. "Now he is trying to justify his actions with a series of excuses."

Sen.
John Kerry, D-Mass., said Bush "continues to invent a false link between the war in Iraq and the tragedy of Sept. 11." Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said Bush "has offered America a false choice, between resolve and retreat."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051007/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_iraq

US foiled 10 incidents, but in all probability! Has created an army of terrorists ,that will see their grand kids weaing bombs on their way to britain.

grossly misjudged, underestimated.The Arabs have fought for 100 years to fight back british and american rule
and will go on for 100 more years doing so
the can of worms opened now and there will be no end
All the machism,elitism,imperialism,backed by the biggest ,most advanced army in the world ,Cant hold back the onslaught.
as time passes, they will come with wmds, and eventually like a thief in the night. KABOOM !
the drunkeness of BUSH and the puppet blair
have done the unconsiable.
by installing perminent military bases all over the middle east they have
taken the path of imperialists
refusing to allow the UN peace keepers control
I think America's gona have to exterminate all the arabs
to escape the onslaught now
it is coming like a thief in the night

Canuck said:
US foiled 10 incidents, but in all probability! Has created an army of terrorists ,that will see their grand kids weaing bombs on their way to britain.

grossly misjudged, underestimated.The Arabs have fought for 100 years to fight back british and american rule
All the machism,elitism,imperialism,backed by the biggest ,most advanced army in the world ,Cant hold back the onslaught.
as time passes, they will come with wmds, and eventually like a thief in the night. KABOOM !

This again supports my fact that you are a mental disorder.

Foiling ten terrorist plots seems reasonable enough to believe. However, I have to wonder how many of those plots were induced or aggravated by the Bush Administration itself...

They have yet to show any real proof they foiled any plots afaik. The majority of the claims are rather vague.

scottyz said:
They have yet to show any real proof they foiled any plots afaik. The majority of the claims are rather vague.

I doubt they ever will show any "real proof" of this. But it seems like a reasonable claim; if Bush had said we'd be bombed every day if not for their top-notch work, I'd be a little more skeptical.

Originally Posted by Canuck

This again supports my fact that you are a mental disorder.

yeah well if you think no more wmds are coming to america you are the one that will need an assylum

Canuck said:
yeah well if you think no more wmds are coming to america you are the one that will need an assylum

Have you noticed yet that no one responds to your posts with anything more than to tell you to shut up? Perhaps you'd have better luck if you 1) wrote in complete sentences, 2) wrote coherently, 3) stopped breaking every thought into a different line, and 4) stopped saying **** like "we should reinstate Saddam Hussein."

Just a suggestion.

ARE YOU dictating again

omg what a rant

is the truth getting at you
calm down I wouldnt want you bust a vein

Kandahar said:
Foiling ten terrorist plots seems reasonable enough to believe. However, I have to wonder how many of those plots were induced or aggravated by the Bush Administration itself...

Really, we've been catching terrorist at the border for years now (according to a news report I saw some years ago, pre 9/11)

It's just that they get reported a LOT more in tht post 9/11 days than they did in the pre 9/11 days, when stopping terrorists from entering the US was a "non-story".

I'm willing to bet the period of attempted terrorist incusions into the US is more or less the same to somewhat higher these days. They've been trying to hit us for a very long time. Who the sitting President is will do little to change that.

I'm sure they would love to get another big strike while Bush is in office, because he IS fighting back, but, realistically, they're going to take what they can get, when they can get it.

Originally Posted by Canuck:
ARE YOU dictating again

omg what a rant

is the truth getting at you
calm down I wouldnt want you bust a vein
You're doing just fine.

Back
Top Bottom