• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. files new suit on Ariz. immigration issue

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Apparently the proillegals in office do not like Arizona making sure those who claim to be in the country legally provide a greed card.

washingtonpost.com

The Justice Department filed another lawsuit against immigration practices by Arizona authorities, saying Monday that a network of community colleges acted illegally in requiring noncitizens to provide their green cards before they could be hired for jobs.

Apparently the proillegals in office do not like Arizona making sure those who claim to be in the country legally provide a greed card.

washingtonpost.com

The Justice Department filed another lawsuit against immigration practices by Arizona authorities, saying Monday that a network of community colleges acted illegally in requiring noncitizens to provide their green cards before they could be hired for jobs.

From the link:

After filling out a federal form attesting to his immigration status and producing a driver's license and Social Security card, he was told to complete another form with more immigration-related information, the lawsuit said.

That form required other documents and his green card. When he couldn't present his green card, the suit said, the college would not process his paperwork and would not let him work.

So let's see what federal law is on this.

A green card is issued to all permanent residents as proof that they are authorized to live and work in the United States. If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid green card in your possession at all times. Current green cards are valid for 10 years, or 2 years in the case of a conditional resident, and must be renewed before the card expires.

A green card can be used to prove employment eligibility in the United States when completing the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. It can also be used to apply for a Social Security Card and a state issued driver’s license. A green card is valid for readmission to the United States after a trip abroad if you do not leave for longer than 1 year. If your trip will last longer than 1 year, a reentry permit is needed.

USCIS - After a Green Card is Granted

So you are required to carry this card with you at all times and it can be used to prove you can work legally in the US. The link states that he couldn't produce the card he was required to carry so they didn't hire him...... sounds good to me.

Actually this is great news for the Republicans..... most Democrat party voters want Illegal Aliens out of the country and don't support this administrations efforts to stop Arizona from enforcing Federal law, same for Republican voters and most Independents. (don’t make me google it for you, you’ll just look stupid)

I hope they keep this **** up, November is going to be a historical landslide..... this will just make it bigger and last longer.

Apparently the pro-illegal’s in office do not like Arizona making sure those who claim to be in the country legally provide a greed card.

washingtonpost.com

What's a "greed card"... :mrgreen:

Based on the info in the story, this sounds like an unrelated issue, not connected to the Ariz. immigration law.

Besides that both happened in AZ and involve immigrants (although legal in this case, and illegal in the AZ law’s case)

It appears, however, that all those asked for green cards were already known to be legal immigrants.

It also appears that the U.S. Justice Department may win this case, based only on the info in the news story.

Edit: After reading the post previous to mine, I could be wrong.

Edit 2: Unless this guy was not yet 18? :mrgreen:

Last edited:
What's a "greed card"... :mrgreen:

Based on the info in the story, this sounds like an unrelated issue, not connected to the Ariz. immigration law.

Besides that both happened in AZ and involve immigrants (although legal in this case, and illegal in the AZ law’s case)

It appears, however, that all those asked for green cards were already known to be legal immigrants.

It also appears that the U.S. Justice Department may win this case, based only on the info in the news story.

Edit: After reading the post previous to mine, I could be wrong.

Edit 2: Unless this guy was not yet 18? :mrgreen:

Would you quote what in the article makes you think they were here legally?.... I must be missing it.

Would you quote what in the article makes you think they were here legally?.... I must be missing it.
You quoted it yourself.

After filling out a federal form attesting to his immigration status and producing a driver's license and Social Security card, he was told to complete another form with more immigration-related information, the lawsuit said.
Admittedly, those forms of ID can be forged, but I'm assuming they could check that?

/shrug

It is my understanding that the lawsuit involves the second form - the one asking to see the green card.

It seems humorous that 247 people were supposed to have a green card with them at all times, but didn't, and it's the form asking too see it that gets targeted...But it sounds like it was, technically, illegal.

It also sounds a bit stupid.

A few links:

USCIS - I-Link Reference

Haven't read this one much yet, not sure how to find the specific clause regarding this lawsuit, and probably too lazy to search the whole thing.

However, INA: ACT 264 - FORMS AND PROCEDURE seems interesting:

It contained the following:

(d) Every alien in the United States who has been registered and fingerprinted under the provisions of the Alien Registration Act, 1940, or under the provisions of this Act shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations issued by the Attorney General.

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Wikipedia yielded two pages entitled "Immigration and Nationality act", one from 1952, and one from 1965. It seems likely that this lawsuit cites the 1952 act, as the 1965 act seems (judging from the wiki page) to address only numbers and origin of immigrants, not any tracking/enforcement processes.

Link: Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wasn't really much help, too generalized.

Edit: Ahh, this looks promising: INA: ACT 274B - UNFAIR IMMIGRATION-RELATED EMPLOYMENT PRACTICES

Last edited:
This may be the clause cited in this case:

Bolded section.

Link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...7e539dc4bed010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD&CH=act

INA: ACT 274B - UNFAIR IMMIGRATION-RELATED EMPLOYMENT PRACTICES

Sec. 274B. [8 U.S.C. 1324b]

(a) Prohibition of Discrimination Based on National Origin or Citizenship Status.-

(1) General rule.-It is an unfair immigration-related employment practice for a person or other entity to discriminate against any individual (other than an unauthorized alien, as defined in section 274A(h)(3) ) with respect to the hiring, or recruitment or referral for a fee, of the individual for employment or the discharging of the individual from employment-

(A) because of such individual's national origin, or

(B) in the case of a protected individual (as defined in paragraph (3)), because of such individual's citizenship status.

(3) Definition of protected individual.-As used in paragraph (1), the term "protected individual" means an individual who-

(A) is a citizen or national of the United States, or

(B) is an alien who is lawfully admitted for permanent residence, is granted the status of an alien lawfully admitted for temporary residence under section 210(a) , or 245A(a)(1) , is admitted as a refugee under section 207 , or is granted asylum under section 208 ; but does not include (i) an alien who fails to apply for naturalization within six months of the date the alien first becomes eligible (by virtue of period of lawful permanent residence) to apply for naturalization or, if later, within six months after the date of the enactment of this section and (ii) an alien who has applied on a timely basis, but has not been naturalized as a citizen within 2 years after the date of the application, unless the alien can establish that the alien is actively pu rsuing naturalization, except that time consumed in the Service's processing the application shall not be counted toward the 2-year period.
(4)
(5)
(6) 1/ Treatment of certain documentary practices as employment practices.-A person's or other entity's request, for purposes of satisfying the requirements of section 274A(b), for more or different documents than are required under such section or refusing to honor documents tendered that on their face reasonably appear to be genuine shall be treated as an unfair immigration- related employment practice if made for the purpose or with the intent of discriminating against an individual in violation of par agraph (1).
Note: To save space, I cut several sections out that seemed to not have any relavance to the story - full docs are at the link.

Last edited:
Have never seen such an divisive administration so intent of driving a wedge between the populace.

This may be the clause cited in this case:

Bolded section.

Link: USCIS - I-Link Reference

Note: To save space, I cut several sections out that seemed to not have any relavance to the story - full docs are at the link.

This would give me pause if a person said they were here legally but couldn't produce a green card....

Eleven states issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens, including Alaska, Connecticut, Idaho, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Washington and West Virginia. In 2003, California's Governor Davis signed into law a bill that would give illegals drivers licenses. It is widely believed that this was the final act that contributed to his 2003 recall.

Issues - drivers licenses for illegal aliens - THEAMERICANRESISTANCE FOUNDATION

BTW....... dude can't count..... I got 15 out of that list.

Have never seen such an divisive administration so intent of driving a wedge between the populace.

They are worried about getting re-elected in 2012..... and well they should be.

Looking bleaker and bleaker for them.

This would give me pause if a person said they were here legally but couldn't produce a green card....

Issues - drivers licenses for illegal aliens - THEAMERICANRESISTANCE FOUNDATION

BTW....... dude can't count..... I got 15 out of that list.
It does seem strange that the law would require legal immigrants to carry green cards at all times, and yet penalize an employer for asking to see it as proof of legal status.

It would appear that the law is designed to prevent employers from asking for too much info and trying to discriminate against legal immigrants simply cause they aren't citizens.

And yet the federal forms don't require a form of ID that said legal immigrant is supposed to have with them at all times.

Wonder why?

Last edited:
It does seem strange that the law would require legal immigrants to carry green cards at all times, and yet penalize an employer for asking to see it as proof of legal status.

It would appear that the law is designed to prevent employers from asking for too much info and trying to discriminate against legal immigrants simply cause they aren't citizens.

And yet the federal forms don't require a form of ID that said legal immigrant is supposed to have with them at all times.

Wonder why?

Because the federal government is run by the smartest and brightest of us all? :roll:

Or maybe the laws are getting so cumbersome and prolific that no one can keep track of all of them and make them work hand in hand instead of always conflict with each other....... I'll vote for a combination of #1 and #2 as long as it's understood there is a [/sarcasm] after #1.

This should have never come up, but this administration has a thing about attacking anyone or thing that doesn't march in a straight line with their goals and policies, that is what this is about.

this makes THREE separate actions on the part of doj AGAINST the people of arizona, their officials, law enforcement, their school system

in addition to the suit called out in the op, there's holder's famous objection to brewer's bill

and:

Justice Department sues Sheriff Joe - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

there's also ms hillary's folks at foggy bottom calling out citizens of the copper state as some kinda abusers of human rights in some stupid report to the completely impotent and laughably effete UN

Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law - Yahoo! News

wow, this could be interpreted in certain quarters as h-a-r-r-a-s-s-m-e-n-t

it is stanley mcchrystal clear to most americans exactly whom this administration perceives as its "enemies" (politico's word, not mine), and they appear to be largely DOMESTIC

President Obama blasts lies, disinformation - Glenn Thrush - POLITICO.com

if only the perplexed putz on pennsylvania avenue would exhibit some similar animus towards those most americans perceive as THEIR foes

Fort Hood Report: No Mention of Islam, Hasan Not Named - TIME

washingtonpost.com

no wonder so many americans harbor such sincere reservations about THE MAN and his motives

very, very weird

seeya in november

Back
Top Bottom