• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. envoy to coalition fighting ISIS resigns in protest of Trump’s Syria decision

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://apple.news/AQ_kG52hhRyO_wGQEjHxLBw

Earlier this month, McGurk said that the Islamic State was far from defeated despite its loss of territory. “Nobody working on these issues day to day is complacent. Nobody is declaring a mission accomplished,” McGurk said at a State Department briefing. “Defeating a physical caliphate is one phase of a much longer-term campaign.”

Yes an Obama appointee, retained by the Trump Administration........

Since ISIS is ‘defeated’ probably not needed now......

The recent decision by the president came as a shock and was a complete reversal of policy that was articulated to us. It left our coalition partners confused and our fighting partners bewildered.
I worked this week to help manage some of the fallout but — as many of you heard in my meetings and phone calls — I ultimately concluded that I could not carry out these new instructions and maintain my integrity.”
~ McGurk

why does it seem that only the appointees with integrity are the ones resigning

https://apple.news/AQ_kG52hhRyO_wGQEjHxLBw

Earlier this month, McGurk said that the Islamic State was far from defeated despite its loss of territory. “Nobody working on these issues day to day is complacent. Nobody is declaring a mission accomplished,” McGurk said at a State Department briefing. “Defeating a physical caliphate is one phase of a much longer-term campaign.”

Yes an Obama appointee, retained by the Trump Administration........

Since ISIS is ‘defeated’ probably not needed now......

Quite right.

Next week Mr. Trump will eradicate poverty in America by declaring that the US has won the "War on Poverty".

The week after that Mr. Trump will eradicate hunger throughout the world by declaring that the US has won the "War on Hunger".

The week after that Mr. Trump will eradicate terrorism by declaring that the US has won the "War on Terror".

The week after that Mr. Trump will eradicate all misuse of drugs in America by declaring that the US has won the "War on Drugs".

The week after that Mr. Trump will eradicate homelessness in America by declaring that homelessness no longer exists as a federally recognized condition and that those formerly described as "homeless" are not to be described as "citizens transitioning between residential conditions".

The week after that ...

Let them resign. Trump made a good decision here. The war on terror is nothing but a sham and we need to stop supporting terrorists and perpetuating it. Bring the troops home and safe.

Let them resign. Trump made a good decision here. The war on terror is nothing but a sham and we need to stop supporting terrorists and perpetuating it. Bring the troops home and safe.

Once we bring troops home from certain parts of the world, what should we do with them?

Once we bring troops home from certain parts of the world, what should we do with them?

That’s easy, plenty of hurry-up-and-wait on the southern border needs doing!!

I’m on the fence, mostly due to the Kurds. Regardless, Trump should at least be honest about why we are leaving, though. Trump lying about ISIS being defeated makes it an even harder pill to swallow for those who oppose the decision. It’s too “Mission Accomplished” for their tastes.

I’m in the fence, most due to the Kurds. Regardless, Trump should at least be honest about why we are leaving, though. Trump lying about ISIS being defeated makes it an even harder pill to swallow for those who oppose the decision. It’s too “Mission Accomplished” for their tastes.

In every conflict in my lifetime we have ‘run out’ on those that were our allies, leaving them to their fate. See; Montagnards, interpreters from various skirmishes and now Kurds. I don’t think we should be there either, just that the “here today, gone tomorrow,” strategy is flawed......

Edit for Bob:
View attachment 67246531

Back
Top Bottom