• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. electricity blackouts skyrocketing

You're correct as long as the progressives and environmentalists are in charge it is not sustainable. We can't drill here, we can't drill there. We can't go nuclear. We can't build new refineries. Obama wants to bankrupt the coal industry. Natural gas is dangerous, Blah blah blah. If you think we can live on wind and solar, we may as well go back to living in caves.

Maybe you could start by selling your expedition and driving something more economical, replacing the bulbs in your house, and turning your thermostat to a more reasonable temperature. That was my focus. We waste. We waste, and we waste, and we waste, and we give no thought to the fact that these resources in many cases are irreplaceable.

Why is it that hardline conservatives always seem to want to jump on the bandwagon of destroying of natural resources and conspicuous consumerism? Why do you consider waste a conservative value?

My extremely conservative parents raised me to keep the thermostat turned up in the summer to save energy, to use rainwater for plants, and to take care of the land. We farmed, and our livelihood was dependent on taking care of our natural resources.

Why is it that so-called conservatives have turned into shills for corporations? That's NOT conservatism.

shills for corporations:

Meanwhile, no less an authority than Volcker himself, the president’s poster boy for financial reform, just acknowledged what others have been saying for months. Which is that the banking reform bill leaves the discredited too-big-to-fail policy intact — alive and well.

In particular, Volcker says he does not believe that the administration is going to be able to apply its too-big-to-fail policy to what he calls “megabanks.”

Ironically, Volcker may have tried to be supportive of the new legislative efforts when he said on CNBC that the proposed resolution authority appears to be a “workable proposition for anything short of the biggest banks.” He then acknowledged that the legislation is not “workable” for the country’s largest banks.

Of course, the whole reason for the policy is to use it against the biggest banks. That’s why it’s called a too-big-to-fail policy.

Opinion: Slouching toward financial reform - Jonathan Macey - POLITICO.com

Maybe you could start by selling your expedition and driving something more economical, replacing the bulbs in your house, and turning your thermostat to a more reasonable temperature. That was my focus. We waste. We waste, and we waste, and we waste, and we give no thought to the fact that these resources in many cases are irreplaceable.

Why is it that hardline conservatives always seem to want to jump on the bandwagon of destroying of natural resources and conspicuous consumerism? Why do you consider waste a conservative value?

My extremely conservative parents raised me to keep the thermostat turned up in the summer to save energy, to use rainwater for plants, and to take care of the land. We farmed, and our livelihood was dependent on taking care of our natural resources.

Why is it that so-called conservatives have turned into shills for corporations? That's NOT conservatism.

I drive a '97 F1 Ford Pick-up. I bought it new. Seeing as how I've only put 89,000 miles on it in 13 yrs I can't see buying something more economical. I'd be long dead by the time I'd recoup any money I'd save on gas. As you can see, I drive very little.
As far as all the other things you think I should do....I already do that and some.
Why are you stereotyping Conservatives as being wasteful?

Solar generators and microwave emitters on the Moon. We can multiply Earth's electricity supply by nine.

Why are you stereotyping Conservatives as being wasteful?

Because stereotypes are often based on factual information. Conservatives are part of the drill baby drill crowd, who resist incentives to shift our nation's infrastructure to more sustainable and effective methods. They're behind "clean" coal, unbridled use of petroleum, gulf drilling, and subsidies for oil and gas. Way to play the disingenuous naif.

We have a generator.

I wish I did, with that tropical depression swirling around out in the gulf. But, if need be, we'll just get the hell outta dodge. In your case, it's probably a necessity, with your business and all.

You should seriously look into solar. It's an expensive up-front investment, but you could probably afford it, and it would give you a mostly reliable source of energy that isn't reliant on your creaky old grid up there. You also could probably write off most of it and/or get kickbacks from the feds. I was able to write off 30% of my 6k solar water heater, and it works like a champ. It's lowered my power costs even during the heat wave.

I wish I did, with that tropical depression swirling around out in the gulf. But, if need be, we'll just get the hell outta dodge. In your case, it's probably a necessity, with your business and all.

You should seriously look into solar. It's an expensive up-front investment, but you could probably afford it, and it would give you a mostly reliable source of energy that isn't reliant on your creaky old grid up there. You also could probably write off most of it and/or get kickbacks from the feds. I was able to write off 30% of my 6k solar water heater, and it works like a champ. It's lowered my power costs even during the heat wave.

We have too many trees.... Not enough sun., I save more with my canopy than solar would provide if I cut the trees down.

We have a NG generator now, but we've used this one very successfully...

Amazon.com: DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 6.5 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric…

you can't beat it for 479.....

We have too many trees.... Not enough sun., I save more with my canopy than solar would provide if I cut the trees down.

That's definitely an issue. My house isn't all that shaded, the developer who cleared my lot originally thoughtfully wiped out a lot of the old-growth trees. I do have woods in the back, but they don't shade my house. Most of the shade I have now comes from trees I've planted myself, but they won't block my solar unit, which only covers 10% of a southern angle of my roof.

We have a NG generator now, but we've used this one very successfully...

Amazon.com: DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 6.5 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric…

you can't beat it for 479.....

Thanks for the tip. There are so many trees in my area that a hurricane would be pure and utter hell for weeks...we wouldn't be able to count on any emergency services for days, and it would take a long time to restore power and drinking water. We'll just flee. It's easier.

Back
Top Bottom