• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

U.S. doesn't want border violence mentioned in trial

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,339
Reaction score
16,229
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
While most of you all were worried about old geezers getting in a hunting accident actual news has been going on.


http://www.elpasotimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/NEWS/602130328/1001
Recent incidents of border violence echoed all the way to Washington, D.C., and Mexico City. Now the issue has seeped into at least one court case.

The prosecution in the case of two Border Patrol agents who allegedly shot an undocumented immigrant in the buttocks a year ago is seeking to exclude from the jury trial any mention of border violence, in particular the recent standoff in Hudspeth County.

The motion, filed by the U.S. Attorney's office last week, asks the judge to instruct the defense not to mention during arguments or witness questioning "the alleged dangerous nature of the border."

Court documents show the government is anticipating that the defense will use the current warnings over increased drug activity at the border to excuse the actions of agents Jose Alonso Compean and Ignacio Ramos. The agents shot Osvaldo Aldrete Davila, a drug smuggler, near Fabens as he ran back to Mexico.

Stephen Peters, Ramos' attorney, said he wouldn't discuss his defense strategy in details, but said that "A key factor is what he (Ramos) reasonably believed at the time of the shooting. The circumstances on the border as well as the activity the alien was involved in are relevant."


snip...


A recent standoff in Hudspeth County between law enforcement officers and drug dealers protected by armed uniformed men who looked like Mexican soldiers sparked an international border security debate.

The government argues that the incident is irrelevant to the Ramos-Compean case, and misleading.

"It appears that there is an erroneous belief that individuals transporting illegal drugs across the border routinely carry guns. The actual facts refute this belief. Investigators for the government accumulated statistics that show that in the Fabens Border Patrol area, in one year period, not one arrested drug trafficker possessed a firearm," the motion read.


snip...

The U.S. Attorney's office filed another motion seeking to suppress any mention of Aldrete being an undocumented immigrant and being involved in drug trafficking.

Aldrete was a commercial driver in Mexico whose commercial license had expired and who moved drugs to earn enough money to "feed his family and afford the pricey license," the second motion read.

The government argues that agents did not know Aldrete's immigration status or that he transported drugs until after the shooting when they searched the van Aldrete had crashed while fleeing.

The van carried more than 700 pounds of' marijuana.

The agents reported the drug seizure but not the shooting to their superiors.





It seems Uncle Sam wishes to hide their gross incompetence at protecting our borders and the American people by suppressing relevant information and byprosecuting two border guards who were doing their job.
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
11,994
Reaction score
6,095
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Interesting, it also fails to mention that the agent was shot at first!
I cannot remember his name, but he was interviewed on Talk radio after the event.

"To feed his family" - BLAH! Get a job in Mexico yah bum.
Due to the Mexican trade laws, they almost have the same economy as we do.
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,339
Reaction score
16,229
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
vauge said:
Interesting, it also fails to mention that the agent was shot at first!
I cannot remember his name, but he was interviewed on Talk radio after the event.

"To feed his family" - BLAH! Get a job in Mexico yah bum.
Due to the Mexican trade laws, they almost have the same economy as we do.
I would think the crap that is happening at our borders would be bigger priority in news.I would think the government not doing it's job to secure would be a huge story.
 

Blue Collar Joe

Active member
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Messages
350
Reaction score
0
Location
USA Georgia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
jamesrage said:
I would think the crap that is happening at our borders would be bigger priority in news.I would think the government not doing it's job to secure would be a huge story.

You forget that the media and the far left loonies want to make sure that the illegal aliens are ignored. Drawing attention to the border issues means they cannot get their lawn care done cheap.
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,339
Reaction score
16,229
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Blue Collar Joe said:
You forget that the media and the far left loonies want to make sure that the illegal aliens are ignored. Drawing attention to the border issues means they cannot get their lawn care done cheap.
The left are not the only ones to blame for lack of sercurity at the border.After all the rich fat fat republicans also like exploiting people for dirt cheap labor too as well as the far left.
 

JOHNYJ

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
Lets be clear.The Iraq war was one of,choice.PresidentBush wanted a war with Iraq . Our Southern border is a sieve by choice. The Republicans use the cheap labor of illegal aliens to keep down wages and to avoid raising the minimum wage.Democrats view illegal aliens as perspective voters. Neither one will do much willingly to seal the border.
 

Captain America

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Messages
21,831
Reaction score
12,091
Location
Wisconsin
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
Blue Collar Joe said:
You forget that the media and the far left loonies want to make sure that the illegal aliens are ignored. Drawing attention to the border issues means they cannot get their lawn care done cheap.
The left-loonies? You gotta be kiddin' me. I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that 80+% of the yahoo's who hire illigal aliens vote republican. That's why Mr. Bush is turning a blind eye to this serious problem. Heck, his cronies would probably skin him alive if he cracked down on them.

Talk about :spin: . That takes the cake!:rofl
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Captain America said:
The left-loonies? You gotta be kiddin' me. I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that 80+% of the yahoo's who hire illigal aliens vote republican. That's why Mr. Bush is turning a blind eye to this serious problem. Heck, his cronies would probably skin him alive if he cracked down on them.

Talk about :spin: . That takes the cake!:rofl
I would almost bet you're right, but I do know this, one percent take care of every lazy, worthless, welfare case in this country, not to mention building roads, schools, bridges, etc, so be nice.;)
 

Blue Collar Joe

Active member
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Messages
350
Reaction score
0
Location
USA Georgia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
Captain America said:
The left-loonies? You gotta be kiddin' me. I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that 80+% of the yahoo's who hire illigal aliens vote republican. That's why Mr. Bush is turning a blind eye to this serious problem. Heck, his cronies would probably skin him alive if he cracked down on them.

Talk about :spin: . That takes the cake!:rofl

I heard the same crap when slick was in office. This is, truly, a non-partisan issue, one that I should have phrased differently at the start. Let me try again:
The problem with the border affects everyone of us. Yes, we do need immigrants, but we need tax paying immigrants. I've read that the second largest source of income for the Mexican government is money sent by illegals to Mexico to the tune of 14 or 16 billion dollars a year.
Time to secure the borders. Lets make the entire border the location to train all the national guard troops or something!!
And I notice that this topic seemed to die a very quick demise.
 

Calm2Chaos

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
3,967
Reaction score
7
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Easy way to fix this problem would be to just line the border with 50. Cal's. Thermo imaging and night vision software along with recognition software means they don't have to be manned. After the first few get capped I think the rush will ebb a bit
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Calm2Chaos said:
Easy way to fix this problem would be to just line the border with 50. Cal's. Thermo imaging and night vision software along with recognition software means they don't have to be manned. After the first few get capped I think the rush will ebb a bit
Pat Buchanan wanted the border walled and guard towers along that wall. Is one of the reasons I voted for him in 2000.
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,339
Reaction score
16,229
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Blue Collar Joe said:
And I notice that this topic seemed to die a very quick demise.
Thats because people find stories of old fogeys getting into hunting accidents more important than our borders being voilated on a daily basis.
 

JOHNYJ

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
Blue Collar Joe said:
I heard the same crap when slick was in office. This is, truly, a non-partisan issue, one that I should have phrased differently at the start. Let me try again:
The problem with the border affects everyone of us. Yes, we do need immigrants, but we need tax paying immigrants. I've read that the second largest source of income for the Mexican government is money sent by illegals to Mexico to the tune of 14 or 16 billion dollars a year.
Time to secure the borders. Lets make the entire border the location to train all the national guard troops or something!!
And I notice that this topic seemed to die a very quick demise.
We are lucky President Bush hasn't out sourced border security. President Bush is a big business Republican,why the American people haven't figured that out is amazing.
President Bush is the worse thing to happen to the middle class since Herbert Hoover.
Nixon was better for working people.
 

JOHNYJ

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
Blue Collar Joe said:
I heard the same crap when slick was in office. This is, truly, a non-partisan issue, one that I should have phrased differently at the start. Let me try again:
The problem with the border affects everyone of us. Yes, we do need immigrants, but we need tax paying immigrants. I've read that the second largest source of income for the Mexican government is money sent by illegals to Mexico to the tune of 14 or 16 billion dollars a year.
Time to secure the borders. Lets make the entire border the location to train all the national guard troops or something!!
And I notice that this topic seemed to
die a very quick demise.
Slick willy wasn't the " National security President " Slick willy didn't promise to protect us from the Boogey Man. President Bush and the Republicans have hood winked the American people big time. Thats why the Border is not something they want to r talk about, or this Dubai port thing.Money is more important to President Bush than national security and the border proves it ,rememer it is a sive by choice !
 
Top Bottom