• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Coronavirus Cases Near 6 Million (that ain't 60% folks).

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
U.S. Coronavirus Cases Near Six Million

Okay, so some people have been claiming that ~ 50-70% of Americans have been infected by COVID (obviously to sell the herd immunity thing).

So, we have 328 million people in the US. Anyone want to do the math for them? Hell, double the number of cases to jerk the rug out from under them. Just say it's 12 Million. Or 18 Million. Or 36 Million.

You can't fix stupid.

so, no Trump (herd immunity) folks wanna talk math today?

so, still no Trump Supporters commenting.

yeah. that's expected.

these are only cases that are recorded, through tests and such. It's a lot like we saw in new york city, where we only see 465,000 positive cases, but tests in the water showed that ~21% of the NY population had already been exposed to it

basically, ~90% of people aren't going to go get tested over a cough.

Okay, so some people have been claiming that ~ 50-70% of Americans have been infected by COVID (obviously to sell the herd immunity thing).

So, we have 328 million people in the US. Anyone want to do the math for them? Hell, double the number of cases to jerk the rug out from under them. Just say it's 12 Million. Or 18 Million. Or 36 Million.

Who said "that ~ 50-70% of Americans have been infected by COVID?"

You can't fix stupid.

Then why post this? Are you trying to prove you're a little bit smarter than stupid people?

these are only cases that are recorded, through tests and such. It's a lot like we saw in new york city, where we only see 465,000 positive cases, but tests in the water showed that ~21% of the NY population had already been exposed to it

basically, ~90% of people aren't going to go get tested over a cough.

okay, here we go...

how many Americans have/had COVID?

Who said "that ~ 50-70% of Americans have been infected by COVID?"

you must not be familiar with a poster here who starts lots of COVID threads. or, you know, people who are selling herd immunity.

wait, do you not know the math behind herd immunity.

you must not be familiar with a poster here who starts lots of COVID threads. or, you know, people who are selling herd immunity.

wait, do you not know the math behind herd immunity.

How hard is it to answer my actual question?

okay, here we go...

how many Americans have/had COVID?

there's no telling. I had a bad cough a month ago with an itchy throat. Probably the virus, but never got tested for it. it was mild and didn't want to bother.

Out of 6 million cases, how many of them went unnoticed? How many people had it, and because they were asymptomatic, never knew it? 100% of people ain't going to the hospital.

Does not matter since you can be reinfected after a few months.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

we probably won't have herd immunity until there's an effective vaccine.

Does not matter since you can be reinfected after a few months.

Not according to one self-described 'brilliant' poster who believes that immunity is absolute once you recover. He'll learn. Maybe.

Even then there's no guarantee. We don't even have lasting immunity against seasonal flu after vaccination.

we're a lot better off with a flu vaccine than without it.

Not according to one self-described 'brilliant' poster who believes that immunity is absolute once you recover. He'll learn. Maybe.
Too be fair, the reinfections seem to come after 2.5 to 3 months at minimum, which means we are just at the beginning of the reinfection phase. And again, if you were asymptomatic and did not know you were infected and the get reinfected 3 months later, that would show up as a new infection.

But ultimately the point is, you can't get herd immunity for corona, much like influenza in general.

there's no telling. I had a bad cough a month ago with an itchy throat. Probably the virus, but never got tested for it. it was mild and didn't want to bother.

Out of 6 million cases, how many of them went unnoticed? How many people had it, and because they were asymptomatic, never knew it? 100% of people ain't going to the hospital.

until you give me a number how are we gonna argue the 60% thing (that a guy here claims) and the herd immunity thing (that dumb asses are pushing).

You can't fix stupid.

1) that 50-70% is the vaccination level for herd immunity. The natural herd immunity level is much lower. You need 60% vaccination to ensure the sufficient immunity within the actual group that lack the natural antibodies. Natural herd immunity can occur with only 15% infection rate.

2) The actual group in a population that are susceptible to a given virus is usually fairly low (15-30%), and COVID is higher than other coronavirus strains at about 19% according to recent study in Germany of natural antibodies occurrence rate. That 19% is a commodity for the virus, and it dwindles as the illness spreads, eventually running out of enough readily available hosts to infect.

3) 6 million who test positive isn't anywhere close to the actual infection rate. With a virus that has an assumed 0-day R0 or 3, and assuming "Trump failed containment", then there could be 10 times as many people who were infected and recovered that show up in the tests.

It's quite possible that the NY recovery had nothing to do with the state lock down, and everything to do with early mistakes allowing natural herd immunity to be achieved by accident.

that 50-70% is the vaccination level for herd immunity. The natural herd immunity level is much lower.

there isn't a vaccination.

give me the "natural herd immunity level". i need a %.

Back
Top Bottom