• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. commission recommends renaming nine Army bases to strip Confederate legacy

I am assuming Congress will simply approve these name changes.
Since contesting any would plop them directly into the morass of politics around the change and they can avoid it by just saying they went with what the Commission recommended.
At this point, this is ridiculous.
This should have been done in 1865.

Now? Just more insanity from the left.

At this point, this is ridiculous.
This should have been done in 1865.

Now? Just more insanity from the left.
Better late than never.

And I'm not sure how the last part follows from the first.

I would name each base a different species of flower.
Probably wouldn't be considered military enough?
I don't know how these things are decided.

Better late than never.

And I'm not sure how the last part follows from the first.
No, it is not always better late than never. Over 150 years latter is just starting trouble that should be long behind us.

No, it is not always better late than never. Over 150 years latter is just starting trouble that should be long behind us.
Yet without the change, it never will be.

Tell that to the sailors on the "Flower Class" corvettes.

That's OK, the military doesn't either.
Since congress has to approve these name changes, I assume it's up to them in the end, even if they delegate the planning to the Army as they did in this case, back in 2021.

So...call your congressperson?

Since congress has to approve these name changes, ...
It doesn't.

The current version of AR 1-33 became effective on 30 June 2006. It redefines and expands the categories of individuals to be memorialized, and lists appropriate memorialization programs for each category. The criteria for memorialization are expanded and clearly defined, and the number of individuals with approval authority for memorializations is increased. The naming of installations is now the responsibility of the Assistant Secretary of Army (Manpower and Reserve Affairs). The Director of the Installation Management Agency is responsible for the naming of streets, buildings, and facilities on all military installations except medical installations, where the Commander of the U.S. Army Medical Command has the approval authority, and on the United States Military Academy, where the Superintendent of the United States Military Academy has the approval authority.
(emphasis added)
[SOURCE]

I assume it's up to them in the end, even if they delegate the planning to the Army as they did in this case, back in 2021.

So...call your congressperson?
Better yet, call the Assistant Secretary of Army (Manpower and Reserve Affairs) who might be about to rename all of the US military bases (after characters from Sesame Street and members of his high school graduating class [?]).

Since contesting any would plop them directly into the morass of politics around the change and they can avoid it by just saying they went with what the Commission recommended.
Republicans want that morass, it is their entire platform. This is just another chapter in the culture war and "cancel culture" for them.

Thoughts and prayers to those Confederacy fans who are still nursing wounds from the mid-1800s. You know who you are.

Yet without the change, it never will be.

No, as long as activists keep telling a certain people they are victims it will never change.

The average American never thought twice about who these bases were named after. The agitators taught them to be outraged.

Back
Top Bottom