• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Circumcision Rate Falls to 33%

According to a recent study circumcision rates for newborn boys in the United States dropped steadily and markedly over the past 4 years, based on the largest review of U.S. rates ever done.

Circumcision rates fell from 56% in 2006 to 33% in 2009.

peaceful parenting: U.S. Circumcision Rate Falls to 33%

I did circumcise my two year old son. Perhaps not for the best reasons but at the time that is what my wife and I decided. We now feel obligated to circumcise an additional sons we may have just so they don't feel different from each other.

So do you all circumcise your sons? Is it for social, medical, or religious reasons?

Health insurance doesn't cover it. It's considered an elective procedure.

You could be right about it becoming less and less popular. Yet the American Academy of Pediatrics has apparently backtracked from their 1999 report. See my post above. As to calling it genital mutiliation, yeah, I suppose if it weren't considered a cultural norm, we'd call it that. But today it is a cultural norm. Calling it genital mutiliation is over the top.
Indeed. Just as female circumcision is the cultural norm in some places. Calling it genital mutilation is over the top.

Nine out of ten circumcized males elect to have their sons circumcised. Interestingly, only 75% of uncircumcised males choose NOT to have their sons circumcised. Uncircumcised men are twice as likely to become infected with HPV. Transmission of HPV to one's female partner is a known cervical cancer risk in women. Recent studies have shown that circumcision drastically reduces one's chances of contracting HIV (female to male). Also protects against chlymidia and syphllis. Discovery Health "Why Circumcise?"

Those facts would belie it's being referred to as sexual mutiliation.

If an adult male wishes to weigh those studies against his penis and choose to have part of it chopped off, that's his choice. And it should be HIS choice.

Orion. You are doing the same thing that Chuz did with definitions. You're equivocating them. Calling it mutilation is exactly as Crippler described. An appeal to emotion logical fallacy. You can be against it for the reasons that you state, but you're not doing your position any good by doing this.

Well of course you will say that... you are Jewish and support circumcision.

I believe I also provided plenty of logical evidence to backup my view, unlike Chuz who can't hold his own in a debate.

Frankly I am annoyed that you would draw a comparison between myself and another member like that. If I did that I could just as easily be warned for baiting another user or trolling a thread. But I guess it's ok for a mod to come into a thread and wave their magic finger of rule at me, and tell me what I am.

Really... please partake in the debate and feel free to rebut my arguments.

Last edited:
If an adult male wishes to weigh those studies against his penis and choose to have part of it chopped off, that's his choice. And it should be HIS choice.

Well, as I said, I don't have a penis in the fight, so whatever floats your boat. Just pulled the links because I was interested in why it was done in the first place.

Appeal to emotion. Its a surgical procedure, not a "mutilation".

Call it whatever - it's a parental decision. The Dr's are just doing what the parent's decided was appropriate.

I was quite surprised to find out that they routinely do it without anesthesia when I was a Mom the first time - that horrified me - and I didn't find that out by asking the Dr about it, either. . . when asking him what the procedure involved he minimized it - I mean, downright, he lied about it, to make it sound far less than what it was.

I think, if more people knew what the traditional post-birth procedure involved (or didn't involve = ie = anesthesia) I think the numbers would be lower.

On that note - if my kids ever dare to become 'angry' with me for opting to having it done I'll be happy to tell them the infected state that foreskins tend to be in all too often. I'll tell them I 'surgically opted them out of a lifetime of painful sex and urination' . . . because in my experience with my ex husband and boyfriend - that's all that the foreskin served to do.

Last edited:
Why call it "mutilated by doctors" when it was purely your parent's choice?
Have you asked them about why they chose it?

:shrug:

On that note - adult-male circumcision is increasing in frequency. . .and from the opinions of men who've elected for it - quite a few seem to prefer that their parents had done it in infancy so they wouldn't have to deal with it as adults.

All of my kid's are circ'd for different reasons - and all of them were done so as a proper surgery, with anesthesia.

There's no issue with adult male circumcision, because then it's your choice, or a medical necessity.

"Mutilation or maiming is an act or physical injury that degrades the appearance or function of any living body, usually without causing death."

It doesn't degrade appearance, since appearance is a subjective quality, and it does not affect function either(unless there is an accident, which any accident during a surgical procedure can happen). I'm cut and mine works just fine for both its intended purposes. Honestly I have no preference if people to decide to circumcize their children or not. Its their choice. There are minimal medical reasons for doing it according to the CDC(the increased chance for infection due to the mucosal lining under the foreskin, and yes I know it can be cleaned), but they stop short of making it a recommendation. "Mutilation" is just a sly term to paint the procedure in a negative light. I suppose knee surgery is a mutilation because people have scars from them that degrade the "appearance".

Calling it "mutilation" is simple hysterics and does nothing for the debate. As crip points out there are reasons actual medical reasons for the procedure and it should be left up to the parents in conjunction with a medical doctor.

Also I think going after another poster with a logical fallacy regarding his religion (in this case "jewish") is equally a piss poor tactic here,.

There are three main reasons for circumcision but doctors disgree on how promptly circumcision should be offered as the treatment. Some see it as a last resort; others will suggest it sooner.

Medical stuff:

Phimosis In babies, the foreskin and the glans develop as one, only separating during childhood. As a result the infant foreskin is frequently tight and inelastic. Some doctors may suggest circumcision in these circumstances. Others say that generally the foreskin loosens by the age of three and that true phymiosis, which affects fewer than 1% of boys, is very rare before the age of five.
If possible, watchful waiting is sensible in suspected phimosis because the vast majority of foreskins loosen themselves naturally. While only 4% of baby boys have a retractable foreskin, 98-99% of 18 year-olds do. The figures are from the British Medical Journal, 1993, the same article that revealed that many surgeons simply cannot tell the difference between an everyday tight foreskin and true phimosis. More on phimosis.

Balanitis In Balanitis the glans and/or the foreskin become inflamed. It can affect men of all ages including boys (most commonly around the age of three or four).
Poor hygiene, a tight foreskin), skin disorders allergy to products such as soap or washing powder or to the latex or spermicides in condoms can all damage the skin and, if this becomes infected, balantitis can develop. Balanitis is not transmitted sexually but a bacteria called candida which can cause it is. Sex may also damage the skin. It is best avoided by keeping the penis clean, especially under the foreskinm but in recurrent cases circumcision might be offered. More on balanitis.

Last edited:
Whats TRULY funny is how inflammed and personal people take this. I was circumcised. My kids were circumcised. My wife quite prefers it. I dont remember the procedure...wasnt traumatized...and frankly couldnt give a **** less.

Those that arent...I hope you love it as do your partners.

I dont get the incessant need to prove one way opr another that YOUR choice is superior to someone elses. be happy with your OWN ****ing choices for crying out loud.

And BTW...dont be shocked when circumcision is no longer offered as an unneccesary medical procedure as part of universal health care. Like breast exams, pap smears, and colonoscopies it will become deemed by the medical community as less and less needed.

Whats TRULY funny is how inflammed and personal people take this. I was circumcised. My kids were circumcised. My wife quite prefers it. I dont remember the procedure...wasnt traumatized...and frankly couldnt give a **** less.

Those that arent...I hope you love it as do your partners.

I dont get the incessant need to prove one way opr another that YOUR choice is superior to someone elses. be happy with your OWN ****ing choices for crying out loud.

And BTW...dont be shocked when circumcision is no longer offered as an unneccesary medical procedure as part of universal health care. Like breast exams, pap smears, and colonoscopies it will become deemed by the medical community as less and less needed.

I agree . . . but to the bolded . . . it's interesting to bring that up, actually.

My insurance at the time didn't cover it unless it was done within the post-birth time at the hospital. Since I postponed all three procedures I had to pay for most of it out of pocket. . . and in those first few days they *didn't* cover anesthesia.

It doesn't degrade appearance, since appearance is a subjective quality, and it does not affect function either(unless there is an accident, which any accident during a surgical procedure can happen). I'm cut and mine works just fine for both its intended purposes. Honestly I have no preference if people to decide to circumcize their children or not. Its their choice. There are minimal medical reasons for doing it according to the CDC(the increased chance for infection due to the mucosal lining under the foreskin, and yes I know it can be cleaned), but they stop short of making it a recommendation. "Mutilation" is just a sly term to paint the procedure in a negative light. I suppose knee surgery is a mutilation because people have scars from them that degrade the "appearance".

Speaking of equivocation. The part in bold proves my point. There aren't medical reasons to do it, just culture. Stop hiding behind the facade of medical excuses when it's just a personal preference. And it does denigrade appearance... given the fact that you were born with a foreskin, and are having it removed for no reason. All other body parts that get removed have medical justifications.

I don't think calling it mutilation is a stretch.

This is patently false. Everything except circumcision is covered here in Canada, as they fall under necessary procedures. Not sure what the situation is in the U.S.

Calling it "mutilation" is irrelevant hysterics and not a scientific position.

Calling it "mutilation" is simple hysterics and does nothing for the debate. As crip points out there are reasons actual medical reasons for the procedure and it should be left up to the parents in conjunction with a medical doctor.

Also I think going after another poster with a logical fallacy regarding his religion (in this case "jewish") is equally a piss poor tactic here,.

There are three main reasons for circumcision but doctors disgree on how promptly circumcision should be offered as the treatment. Some see it as a last resort; others will suggest it sooner.

Medical stuff:

Phimosis In babies, the foreskin and the glans develop as one, only separating during childhood. As a result the infant foreskin is frequently tight and inelastic. Some doctors may suggest circumcision in these circumstances. Others say that generally the foreskin loosens by the age of three and that true phymiosis, which affects fewer than 1% of boys, is very rare before the age of five.
If possible, watchful waiting is sensible in suspected phimosis because the vast majority of foreskins loosen themselves naturally. While only 4% of baby boys have a retractable foreskin, 98-99% of 18 year-olds do. The figures are from the British Medical Journal, 1993, the same article that revealed that many surgeons simply cannot tell the difference between an everyday tight foreskin and true phimosis. More on phimosis.

Balanitis In Balanitis the glans and/or the foreskin become inflamed. It can affect men of all ages including boys (most commonly around the age of three or four).
Poor hygiene, a tight foreskin), skin disorders allergy to products such as soap or washing powder or to the latex or spermicides in condoms can all damage the skin and, if this becomes infected, balantitis can develop. Balanitis is not transmitted sexually but a bacteria called candida which can cause it is. Sex may also damage the skin. It is best avoided by keeping the penis clean, especially under the foreskinm but in recurrent cases circumcision might be offered. More on balanitis.

This has been discussed many times on this site. That word balanitis sure sounds serious, but if you are a guy who happens to get it an over-the-counter salve will take care of it. It's not a big problem in this country anyway. Circumcision is not warranted for this affliction.

This is patently false. Everything except circumcision is covered here in Canada, as they fall under necessary procedures. Not sure what the situation is in the U.S.

Doood...read what you wrote again..

How the **** can you say "this is patently false" in the same sentence with "I dont know what the situation in the US is"? And you AFFIRM that they dont pay for circumcision... Meanwhile it was just last year where the administrationm came out and said...well...golly...ya know...breast exams REALLY arent necessary til later...

So...while I am POSITING THAT PERHAPS that is how it will go...there is at least SOME precedence...

Nine out of ten circumcized males elect to have their sons circumcised. Interestingly, only 75% of uncircumcised males choose NOT to have their sons circumcised. Uncircumcised men are twice as likely to become infected with HPV. Transmission of HPV to one's female partner is a known cervical cancer risk in women. Recent studies have shown that circumcision drastically reduces one's chances of contracting HIV (female to male). Also protects against chlymidia and syphllis. Discovery Health "Why Circumcise?"

Those facts would belie it's being referred to as sexual mutiliation.

The HPV information in your post regarding circumcision really doesn't mean anything, since virtually all of us acquire HPV at some point whether we sport a circumcised penis, uncircumcised penis, or a vagina:

Approximately 20 million people are currently infected with genital human papillomavirus (HPV) in the United States (U.S.)

HPV is so common that most sexually active adults become infected at some point in their lives.

---

HPV and and HPV Vaccine - HCP

The HPV information in your post regarding circumcision really doesn't mean anything, since virtually all of us acquire HPV at some point whether we sport a circumcised penis, uncircumcised penis, or a vagina:

Approximately 20 million people are currently infected with genital human papillomavirus (HPV) in the United States (U.S.)

HPV is so common that most sexually active adults become infected at some point in their lives.

---

HPV and and HPV Vaccine - HCP

And it goes away, all by itself.

Calling it "mutilation" is simple hysterics and does nothing for the debate.
Yes people call it mutilation when it's done to a woman. And I'm not talking about the drastic ****. In many cases, they just remove the clitoral hood, which is the same damn thing as circumcizing a man. It's called mutilation when it's done to a woman, but it's just fine and dandy when done to a man.

As crip points out there are reasons actual medical reasons for the procedure and it should be left up to the parents in conjunction with a medical doctor.
If the kid has a medical condition, that's different.

Yes people call it mutilation when it's done to a woman. And I'm not talking about the drastic ****. In many cases, they just remove the clitoral hood, which is the same damn thing as circumcizing a man. It's called mutilation when it's done to a woman, but it's just fine and dandy when done to a man.

Doesn't removing the hood enhance tactile sensation?

If the kid has a medical condition, that's different.

preventative?

Doesn't removing the hood enhance tactile sensation?
It does the opposite for a man, why would it be different for a woman? Yes, the area would be extremely sensitive for awhile (painfully so, I would imagine), but then the skin would become toughened and would decrease sensitivity, same as for a man.

preventative?
LOL You want to cut off part of the body of your kid because you don't feel like washing it well enough to prevent infection? The prevention is BATHING. Proper cleaning. We don't cut off parts of our body to prevent some possible future infection that can be easily prevented by something as mundane as soap and water.

Back
Top Bottom