• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. charges Snowden with espionage [W:60]

Hero or Traitor? Does it even matter anymore?
Here's the thing about guys like Snowden ... to me you can't call him a hero until you know his motivation.
Yes ... I know he's put the best spin on why he did it but he's been acting otherwise along.
That doesn't mean what he's disclosed wasn't important to know... but that alone doesn't earn him the "hero" label.

I'm eyeballing that "Spy" button up on top here with renewed suspicion.

I'm eyeballing that "Spy" button up on top here with renewed suspicion.

Good morning, humbolt. :2wave:

:funny! :lamo:

Just add that suspicion to the ever-growing list! Isn't this fun? :2dance:

Good morning, humbolt. :2wave:

:funny! :lamo:

Just add that suspicion to the ever-growing list! Isn't this fun? :2dance:
Morning Pol. Hope that gimpy leg is improving and you'll soon be back in the tundra. At some point we're either going to be afraid to do anything at all, or alternatively we're going to anything and everything since the consequence will be the same either way. God bless the government, because it looks more and more like nobody else will.

More tea partiers should follow their hero Edward Snowden's example and "self-deport" themselves to Venezuela, Cuba, or Russia, which are shining beacons of liberty and free speech in the world. I'll even offer to help tea partiers pack their bags. :)

And pretty please take Michelle Bachmann and Glen Beck with you.

Last edited:
What could he do for their safety if he stayed home and got picked up immediately, without a snowball's chance to tell his story? They pick him up, we forget about him in weeks.

His family's greatest safety is sunlight.
He's proving that all things he said in the interview is utter crap. He already told his story, it was an interesting tale, but it's looking to be more a work of fiction than fact.

He's proving that all things he said in the interview is utter crap. He already told his story, it was an interesting tale, but it's looking to be more a work of fiction than fact.

How does that even make sense? Other NSA whistleblowers have come forward and confirmed his allegations and even explained why they were true, fleshing out the details.

Which part strikes you as fictional, specifically? The part where the government had a secret big-brother program that flagrantly violates the 4th Amendment, or the part where he was legitimately scared of being locked away in a black site until the world forgot about him?

I admit to knowing nothing about Iceland's politics, but why would it consider taking Snowden in and possibly offering him citzenship?
Iceland is just generally very pro-transparency and pro-freedom of expression. It recently passed a well-talked-about law that is supposed to create a "haven" for journalists. The law was heavily supported by Wikileaks so that should tell you how serious it is about protecting sources for leaks and similar people. Iceland has never - to my knowledge - extradited a U.S. citizen and was also where Bobby Fischer hid from the United States when he was wanted by the government.

Which part strikes you as fictional, specifically? The part where the government had a secret big-brother program that flagrantly violates the 4th Amendment, or the part where he was legitimately scared of being locked away in a black site until the world forgot about him?

lol black site

Iceland is just generally very pro-transparency and pro-freedom of expression. It recently passed a well-talked-about law that is supposed to create a "haven" for journalists. The law was heavily supported by Wikileaks so that should tell you how serious it is about protecting sources for leaks and similar people. Iceland has never - to my knowledge - extradited a U.S. citizen and was also where Bobby Fischer hid from the United States when he was wanted by the government.

Thanks for the clarification. The choice makes sense then.

I heard that today too. I think he should come home.

I heard Dershowitz say that as well. If he is right, the US might just have given Hong Kong the only possible excuse not to extradite him, as espionage is excluded from our extradition treaty with them. A dumb, dumb move on our part. We surely could have filed espionage charges after forcing Hong Kong to send him back.

Espionage on whose behalf?

"Thread: U.S. charges Snowden with espionage"

The government is no different from any other criminal. They all hate to get caught.

And in bizarre circumstances the patriot is kicking it in communist land after informing (or rather confirming) the people that the US government operating in authoritarian fashion... Now he can't come back and is stuck with communists who obviously want to know what he knows...

This is the type of **** that happens when you expose this POS authoritarian government - you end up in China - The land where Mao is still held in extremely high regard with force and where Stalin is considered a comrade..
China isnt communist, and neither is Hong Kong.

sl5lk6.jpg

"Thread: U.S. charges Snowden with espionage"

The government is no different from any other criminal. They all hate to get caught.

Caught doing what? A legal security measure authorized by basically the entirety of the people that we voted into office. That's democracy at work.

The Obama-Biden Plan.....

"Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process."

If only Snowden had done this under Bush. Then he would have Obama in his corner.

Mr. "Hope and Change" continues to prove to his faithful what a bunch of saps they were and how very much like the rest of the garbage he is. This is far from the first whistleblower under Obama that has been on the run. Don't get me wrong. I voted for him last year, but not because of some Leftist utopian dream of a perfect world after Bush. I saw that he had grown from the starry eyed visionary, apologizing all over Europe, receiving the Nobel Peace Prize, and spouting utopia, to the guy of today who deals with a decrepit world. The problem was and is that the rest of the world won't allow a utopia or an America that wants to clean its hands of its filth.

Despite his overwhelming naiveté and some bull ****, Obama discovered the world when he entered the White House. At least McCain knew the world he was going to get. It would appear that 5 years later, Obama understands it now too. Spy networks, phone tapping, invading sovereign territory, GITMO, prosecuting whistleblowers.....what was the tag line? Oh yeah......"A vote for McCain is a vote for Bush."

China called us the greatest villain of all since this made news. If only Obama just took out a dictator.

Last edited:
Caught doing what? A legal security measure authorized by basically the entirety of the people that we voted into office. That's democracy at work.

They got caught spying on the people. It isn't democracy at work. It is the government at work. The people had no intention of being spied upon by the government. The people we voted into office would be criminals in any other environment.

Back
Top Bottom