• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

U.S. borders to check passports

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: Statenews

General management sophomore Christopher Tyll has made many trips to Canada and back - sometimes without showing any identification at the border. But on Tuesday, the U.S. departments of State and Homeland Security introduced the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which will require citizens from the United States, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda to have passports or certain other documents to enter or re-enter the United States.

"A lot of times, they don't even ask for a license," Tyll said. "If you go in without being searched or asked for identification, I think it's good that they're actually going to start looking at stuff, including the passport."

Officials say the change will help with safety and efficiency.

"What we're hoping for is not just a more secure border but also one that is able to facilitate the movement of people more easily," said Frank Moss, deputy assistant secretary of state for passport services.

Passports are easier to use than licenses and birth certificates because they don't vary between states and years, he said.

A passport costs $97 for people 16 years old and older and $82 for people younger than 16.

"It's an inconvenience just to cross the border because it's $97 for a passport now," said LeRonda Perry, a packaging graduate student who already has a passport. "But I'd rather bring my passport than bring my birth certificate and lose it."

The departments hope the initiative will be fully implemented by Dec. 31, 2007, but air and sea travel requirements will be in place earlier.

By the end of 2005, travel to or from Bermuda might require a passport, and by 2006, air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada might require a passport.

anomaly said:
Do you think this will lower the number of illegal aliens entering the country?
In and of itself? No.
But requiring identification must be better than the current standard practice - would you not agree?

I recently went up to Canada, it’s about a 5 hour drive from here, and for the first time they made it very clear that just having my drivers license wasn’t enough. They stopped me and searched my truck and kept me for about 2 hours. I still have a badge and retired parole officer ID in my wallet. One of the guys on the boarder that day was a good friends of someone I used to work with and sail with, I knew him, he knew me- personally. On a first name basis. They’re most definitely making efforts to close down on the border and tighten our security. Now it’s all done in a very bureaucratic, governmental way. Which will probably never change. As I sat waiting for them to go thruough my truck I wondered how many other vehicles they weren’t going through or how they decided my vehicle was the one they wanted to look at. But really how are they suppose to know? And I’m almost certain that it was due to my lack of passport, though I hadn‘t needed one five months prior. One might think that once there’s a person there who knows another person personally- then that person can give you a “free pass.” It’s a sure bet that is not the case. Once you’re “tagged” you’re it. And the process begins. And I knew this as I sat and waited. Personally I’d rather wait on a bench for them to go through my truck and know that’s helping keep things safer for all. Then have them waive everyone through, in an effort to save time, and have another 9-11.

I think it's a good thing because it forces these people to do their jobs more seriously. There has never been a priority to search anyone coming over the Canadian border, which is why it has been so attractive to terrorists. Hell, even the FBI detected a plot to drive serious weapons across and stopped them before it occurred. I don't think they would have ever snagged them coming over the border.

Good for US Customs & Border Patrols

Contrarian said:
I think it's a good thing because it forces these people to do their jobs more seriously. There has never been a priority to search anyone coming over the Canadian border, which is why it has been so attractive to terrorists. Hell, even the FBI detected a plot to drive serious weapons across and stopped them before it occurred. I don't think they would have ever snagged them coming over the border.

Good for US Customs & Border Patrols

Yep, and I got no problems waiting in lines or waiting on benches either. Makes us all safer.

I love it when people get pissy with them at the airport. Just makes the TSA screw with them more. Wife and I were coming back from Key West last summer and some lady was complaining about having to take her shoes off. By the time it was over I think they da*n near strip searched her. Stupid woman, every ones in the same life boat. There’s nothing special about you or your shoes. Shut up, stay in line, do as told and be polite. Is that so hard?

This doesn't do much good. I am more worried about a terrorist entering through the open borders of Mexico than at a check point.

Heather said:
This doesn't do much good. I am more worried about a terrorist entering through the open borders of Mexico than at a check point.

:wcm Welcome to Debate Politics Heather!

Back
Top Bottom