• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S.-backed SDF: will help create north Syria safe zone

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From Reuters

BEIRUT (Reuters) - The Syrian Democratic Forces said on Wednesday it was ready to help create a safe zone mentioned by U.S. President Donald Trump under “international guarantees” and without “foreign intervention” in north and east Syria.

COMMENT:-

There is a whole lot of wishful thinking and whistling in the dark going on in the SDF these days. Included in that wishful thinking is the term "US backed".

Do YOU think that the US government will continue to "back" the SDF (with anything more substantial than soothing words and pious platitudes) once the US forces are out of Syria? I'd LIKE to, but ...

From Reuters

BEIRUT (Reuters) - The Syrian Democratic Forces said on Wednesday it was ready to help create a safe zone mentioned by U.S. President Donald Trump under “international guarantees” and without “foreign intervention” in north and east Syria.

There is a whole lot of wishful thinking and whistling in the dark going on in the SDF these days. Included in that wishful thinking is the term "US backed".

Do YOU think that the US government will continue to "back" the SDF (with anything more substantial than soothing words and pious platitudes) once the US forces are out of Syria? I'd LIKE to, but ...

Uh. Well. How would we do that? Increased Economic pressure on Turkey?

We've decided to abandon our allies, proving that our promises and security guarantees are worthless, under two administrations now.

From Reuters

If the US (Trump) does back the SDF, we won't have to fear that whatever we provide ends up in the hands of ISIS.

We've decided to abandon our allies, proving that our promises and security guarantees are worthless, under two administrations now.

Goes back much farther than two...........tbh.

Never gonna happen.

SDF is fractured and large parts or even a majority of North Syria is controlled by jihadists. And the rest is controlled by Kurds of various alligences who all hate each other.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

Goes back much farther than two...........tbh.

I'm not so sure. Does anything compare to what we did to Ukraine?

What examples from the past compare?

I begin in the days of “as long as the grass grows and the water flows.” I may have grass & water in the wrong order.

I begin in the days of “as long as the grass grows and the water flows.” I may have grass & water in the wrong order.

No. I'm not letting it slide. What compares to what we've done in the past two admins. We rely on elders for knowledge of the ancient past. So give it to us.

No. I'm not letting it slide. What compares to what we've done in the past two admins. We rely on elders for knowledge of the ancient past. So give it to us.

Tell me first if you understood my reference. Put that “elder” and “ancient” snark on hold.

Tell me first if you understood my reference. Put that “elder” and “ancient” snark on hold.

First you admit old people smell funny.

I depend on how similar you think they need to be, but I feel it's safe to say the U.S. doesn't have a good track record for intervening in other countries and leaving things better than they found them. Whether that ties to "promises or guarantees" is a bit of a gray area.

I expect you know we had a shot at being allies with Iran until we ****ed them in '53?

Other examples that leap to mind:

Bay of Pigs
Vietnam\Cambodia
Korea
South America in the '80s

I depend on how similar you think they need to be, but I feel it's safe to say the U.S. doesn't have a good track record for intervening in other countries and leaving things better than they found them. Whether that ties to "promises or guarantees" is a bit of a gray area.

I expect you know we had a shot at being allies with Iran until we ****ed them in '53?

Other examples that leap to mind:

Bay of Pigs
Vietnam\Cambodia
Korea
South America in the '80s

The promises aspect is key. We ratified a treaty to protect Ukraine in exchange for them de-nuking. As a result of our failure, the world can never expect another nation to de-nuke on a promise of protection. I don't see anything comparing to that. And now the next admin has continued similar policy. The word of the US, among democracies, is worth little. It's certainly not worth betting ones ass on. I don't think that started until recently.

The promises aspect is key. We ratified a treaty to protect Ukraine in exchange for them de-nuking. As a result of our failure, the world can never expect another nation to de-nuke on a promise of protection. I don't see anything comparing to that. And now the next admin has continued similar policy. The word of the US, among democracies, is worth little. It's certainly not worth betting ones ass on. I don't think that started until recently.

Fair enough, though I think most of my examples include an implied promise to make things better for the U.S., if not for the locals.

Else why do it?

That's one vote for "soothing words and pious platitudes".

Does the word "Vietnam" have any meaning to you?

Do I smell funny?

;)

I don't know, do you use your nose when you do?

Of course, the odds on you paying much attention to the Vietnam War before you entered Grade School ARE quite low.

Back
Top Bottom