• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. attorney general tells Texas to rescind immigrant COVID-19 order

It's quite possible, seeing as the Feds dropped a planeload of them off here in Tennessee some time ago.

If it weren’t for made up bullshit, Republicans would be mutes.

If "Cashless bail; San Francisco's 2014, a ballot referendum passed that downgraded the theft of property less than $950 in value from a felony charge to a misdemeanor. (And similar public policies) and so called criminal justice reforms promoted by progressives, Progressive DA's in particular, and their reformed charging policies," were the culprits, then San Francisco would have been one of the only cities seeing a rise. They weren't. Every city saw a rise, even those that didn't change their policies.

Therefore, the theory that we're having a rise in crime due to liberal criminal justice changes doesn't explain the rise. I understand that Fox has been exploiting the changes in California, but that doesn't explain it nearly everywhere else.
As I posted, it may, or may not be, a contributing factor, but what is certain, that it is part of the landscape on which the crime spike occurred, and therefore should be considered, and not dismissed out of hand, which you appear to be doing.

As I posted, it may, or may not be, a contributing factor, but what is certain, that it is part of the landscape on which the crime spike occurred, and therefore should be considered, and not dismissed out of hand, which you appear to be doing.
The idea that eliminating bail, which is designed to assure that someone appears for trial is a questionable reason for crime rising.

What needs to be researched is why did crime spiked in the year of the shutdown?
Socio economic issues always have an impact, but rural America had the same impact. The only difference is that in some places rioting was allowed and in some cases even encouraged. Local politicians dropped charges against criminals and blamed racism for their actions. Their political response was threats against law enforcement and in same cases actions to remove law enforcement and to tie their hands when it comes to enforcing crime. When you intentionally allow crime to occur without penalty it will increase. And when you have a lot of crime it will eventually escalate. The cities who rolled back their absurd policies like defunding the police have seen their crime begin to drop again. Cause and effect is known. The cause is a political culture of supporting crime vs fighting crime.

The idea that eliminating bail, which is designed to assure that someone appears for trial is a questionable reason for crime rising.
Not bail, cashless bail, i.e. no financial incentives for not being re-arrested on additional probable crimes once released on bail.

Some Experts Warn That Joe Biden’s Cashless Bail Policy Is A Prescription For More Anarchy​

Chris Dorsey, Contributor
As rioters and looters have turned many American cities into mob turf, ostensibly to express their outrage at the criminal justice system and law enforcement, Joe Biden and the Democrats’ cashless bail policy has already added fuel to the infernos in places like Minneapolis and New York. Many crime experts are warning that the cashless bail approach being advanced by Biden is only going to further destabilize the criminal justice system if implemented nationwide. This monumental shift in our legal system is likely to have profound implications on public safety, and here’s why it’s important to understand the unintended consequences of cashless bail.

Many suspects freed under bail reform go on to commit major crimes: NYPD​

Mayor de Blasio and the city’s top cop unveiled stats Thursday they say show many suspects freed under new bail reforms are going on to commit major crimes.
During the first two months of the year, 482 people charged with a felony were released without bail only to rearrested for new crimes 846 times, according to officials.
Of those 846 arrests, 299 were for one of the seven major crime categories, nearly triple the 109 times someone was arrested in the first two months of last year for a major crime after being released for an earlier arrest.
“There’s a direct correlation to the change in the law," de Blasio said of the uptick. "We need to address it and we will address it.”
I'm not saying it's a forgone conclusion, I'm saying any proposed research, such as we are discussing, needs to vet it as a possible contributing factor, and come to a data driven conclusion whether it is a contributing factor or not.

Not bail, cashless bail, i.e. no financial incentives for not being re-arrested on additional probable crimes once released on bail.

Some Experts Warn That Joe Biden’s Cashless Bail Policy Is A Prescription For More Anarchy​

Chris Dorsey, Contributor​
As rioters and looters have turned many American cities into mob turf, ostensibly to express their outrage at the criminal justice system and law enforcement, Joe Biden and the Democrats’ cashless bail policy has already added fuel to the infernos in places like Minneapolis and New York. Many crime experts are warning that the cashless bail approach being advanced by Biden is only going to further destabilize the criminal justice system if implemented nationwide. This monumental shift in our legal system is likely to have profound implications on public safety, and here’s why it’s important to understand the unintended consequences of cashless bail.​

Many suspects freed under bail reform go on to commit major crimes: NYPD​

Mayor de Blasio and the city’s top cop unveiled stats Thursday they say show many suspects freed under new bail reforms are going on to commit major crimes.​
During the first two months of the year, 482 people charged with a felony were released without bail only to rearrested for new crimes 846 times, according to officials.​
Of those 846 arrests, 299 were for one of the seven major crime categories, nearly triple the 109 times someone was arrested in the first two months of last year for a major crime after being released for an earlier arrest.​
“There’s a direct correlation to the change in the law," de Blasio said of the uptick. "We need to address it and we will address it.”​
I'm not saying it's a forgone conclusion, I'm saying any proposed research, such as we are discussing, needs to vet it as a possible contributing factor, and come to a data driven conclusion whether it is a contributing factor or not.
What would Joe Biden’s Cashless Bail Policy have anything to do with crime in cities, which Joe Biden has no jurisdiction?

Judges also have the authority to remand.

This is the problem with bail:

What would Joe Biden’s Cashless Bail Policy have anything to do with crime in cities, which Joe Biden has no jurisdiction?
None the less cashless bail is a public policy which has been implemented in a number of cities, many of which also have a coinciding increase in crime. Realizing that correlations is not causation without additional data, all I'm saying is that it be included in the research. Why is this a point of contention?
Judges also have the authority to remand.

This is the problem with bail:

A comedian?

None the less cashless bail is a public policy which has been implemented in a number of cities, many of which also have a coinciding increase in crime. Realizing that correlations is not causation without additional data, all I'm saying is that it be included in the research. Why is this a point of contention?

A comedian?
The news and commentary is spot on.

The news and commentary is spot on.
Only because you agree with that news and commentary. Come on now.

I still don't understand why you don't believe cashless bail need be excluded from the hypothetical research we are discussing, if only to formally exclude it as a meaningful contributing factor.

Back
Top Bottom