• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. airstrike kills leader of Islamic State in Afghanistan

Ahlevah

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A U.S. airstrike last month killed Hafiz Sayed Khan, the head of the Islamic State's branch in Afghanistan, a Pentagon spokesman said Friday.

Khan was killed July 26 as U.S. and Afghan Special Forces conducted operations against the terror group in southern Nangarhar province, Deputy Press Secretary Gordon Trowbridge said in a statement.

His death comes as part of a major effort to crush the Islamic State, which became a growing threat in Afghanistan earlier this year.

U.S. airstrike kills leader of Islamic State in Afghanistan

And the beat goes on... :monkeyarm

Dammit Obama! You're not treating the leaders of the organization you founded very well!:lamo

Dammit Obama! You're not treating the leaders of the organization you founded very well!:lamo

Hey, I'm not an Obama fan, but I give him credit for taking out quite a few of these guys--in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Libya, Yemen, Syria, Iraq, and god only knows where else. I know some will say, "Well, for every one we take out there are ten more," but some of these commanders and operatives aren't easily replaceable.

Hey, I'm not an Obama fan, but I give him credit for taking out quite a few of these guys--in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Libya, Yemen, Syria, Iraq, and god only knows where else. I know some will say, "Well, for every one we take out there are ten more," but some of these commanders and operatives aren't easily replaceable.

I agree. It was a sad day for Afghanistan when Al Qaeda took out Massoud. I don't think he was ever replaced. I can't help wonder if the war in Afghanistan might've turned out differently had he lived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_Shah_Massoud

Good commanders aren't easily replaced....no matter what side they're on. So the more of the terrorists leaders Obama takes out...the betta.

So what?

Like there isn't ten thousand idiots/sickos ready to take his place.

Anyone who says you can beat major terrorist groups by trying to kill them all has no idea what they are talking about.

America should pull all her troops/forces home and let the locals deal with their own mess.

Anyone who disagrees with me on this is wrong...full stop.

Oh...and to any neocons that maybe reading this? Up yours - you people are far more destructive to America then ISIS could ever dream of being.

These people honor you, Obama, and this is how you treat them? You asshole. I am definitely not voting for Obama in 2016.

So what?

Anyone who says you can beat major terrorist groups by trying to kill them all has no idea what they are talking about.

America should pull all her troops/forces home and let the locals deal with their own mess.

Oh...and to any neocons that maybe reading this? Up yours - you people are far more destructive to America then ISIS could ever dream of being.

Exactly. We must have killed hundreds, if not thousands of these so-called leaders for the last decade and yet ...there's still fighting going on. It's clear that the military option isn't working.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

So what?

The Japanese and Germans were terrorists, were they not? They were thoroughly beaten into a greasy spot on the world map.

Isis needs to be beaten down the same way, but it has to initiated within the Muslim community and have the full support of peaceful Muslims worldwide. When the peaceful Muslims have finally had enough, we might begin to see the difference.

President Obama is hardly a neocon, so I don't get what you mean by neocons being more destructive.

Exactly. We must have killed hundreds, if not thousands of these so-called leaders for the last decade and yet ...there's still fighting going on. It's clear that the military option isn't working.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Agreed.

Funny thing is, I keep reading what you typed over and over again and yet it always says the same thing...even though I expect it to say something different.
Guess I'll just try reading it again.

;)

The Japanese and Germans were terrorists, were they not? They were thoroughly beaten into a greasy spot on the world map.
No they weren't.

'Simple Definition of terrorism
: the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal'

Terrorism | Definition of Terrorism by Merriam-Webster

They weren't trying to frighten people for a political goal...they were trying to flat out conquer countries.

And only the leaders/hard core fanatics were evil...the rest were mostly just normal people fighting for their country. Whereas every terrorist in an organization is pretty much evil/nuts/fanatical.

Isis needs to be beaten down the same way, but it has to initiated within the Muslim community and have the full support of peaceful Muslims worldwide. When the peaceful Muslims have finally had enough, we might begin to see the difference.

America has had a 'War on Terror' going on for almost 15 years now and she is still no closer to 'exterminating' it then she was when she started...and a heck of a lot of innocent civilians and brave Americans have died while she tries (not to mention trillions of dollars wasted in the effort).
Plus, the Middle East is FAR LESS stable now then in 2001 directly thanks to what America has done. Heck ISIS was primarily created from the pathetic invasion/occupation of Iraq by - wait for it - America.
The War on Terror is failing...miserably.

It is virtually impossible to beat major terrorist organizations in combat. Especially if they are not based in your country.

The Middle East is NONE OF AMERICA'S BUSINESS...let the locals fix their own problems. Offer them humanitarian aid and maybe peacekeeping assistance and if they want more...tell them they are on their own. No money, no weapons, no troops, no airstrikes, no drone strikes...nothing.

President Obama is hardly a neocon, so I don't get what you mean by neocons being more destructive.
Neocons are the originators of the stupid War on Terror. They are the ones that continue to try and 'police' the world...and fail. They are the reason for Gitmo, and the mess in Iraq/Afghanistan and ISIS and on and on.
They are cowards, unpatriotic, un-American and get others to die and pay for their global goals...while they sit back and get richer and more powerful. They disgust me.

I sense your mind is closed on this...then further discussion on this is pointless, IMO.

We are done here.

Good day.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Funny thing is, I keep reading what you typed over and over again and yet it always says the same thing...even though I expect it to say something different.
Guess I'll just try reading it again.

;)

Yes, I keep trying to tell closed-minded people that our foreign policy is to blame, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. Maybe I am the one who is insane? :2razz:

No they weren't.

'Simple Definition of terrorism
: the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal'

Terrorism | Definition of Terrorism by Merriam-Webster

They weren't trying to frighten people for a political goal...they were trying to flat out conquer countries.

And only the leaders/hard core fanatics were evil...the rest were mostly just normal people fighting for their country. Whereas every terrorist in an organization is pretty much evil/nuts/fanatical.

America has had a 'War on Terror' going on for almost 15 years now and she is still no closer to 'exterminating' it then she was when she started...and a heck of a lot of innocent civilians and brave Americans have died while she tries (not to mention trillions of dollars wasted in the effort).
Plus, the Middle East is FAR LESS stable now then in 2001 directly thanks to what America has done. Heck ISIS was primarily created from the pathetic invasion/occupation of Iraq by - wait for it - America.
The War on Terror is failing...miserably.

It is virtually impossible to beat major terrorist organizations in combat. Especially if they are not based in your country.

The Middle East is NONE OF AMERICA'S BUSINESS...let the locals fix their own problems. Offer them humanitarian aid and maybe peacekeeping assistance and if they want more...tell them they are on their own. No money, no weapons, no troops, no airstrikes, no drone strikes...nothing.

Neocons are the originators of the stupid War on Terror. They are the ones that continue to try and 'police' the world...and fail. They are the reason for Gitmo, and the mess in Iraq/Afghanistan and ISIS and on and on.
They are cowards, unpatriotic, un-American and get others to die and pay for their global goals...while they sit back and get richer and more powerful. They disgust me.

I sense your mind is closed on this...then further discussion on this is pointless, IMO.

We are done here.

Good day.

You start out by saying that any one who disagrees with you is wrong and call those people unpatriotic and unAmerican but then talk about someone else's mind being closed on this.

If you can't see the irony in that I don't know what to tell you.

And the beat goes on... :monkeyarm

Yes, it reminds me of how much things have "improved" since they took out Pablo Escobar or Chapo. :mrgreen:

Yes, I keep trying to tell closed-minded people that our foreign policy is to blame, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. Maybe I am the one who is insane? :2razz:

You're not. In a time of universal deception, speaking the truth is a radical act.

So what?

Great plan. :roll:

Perhaps we should have done the same thing in WW2. You know, let the locals handle it. After all, you couldn't kill every German or Japanese trooper, right, so what's the point of fighting? Let the Czechs and Brits and French handle it. If they can't? Too bad, but it's not like America is connected to the rest of the world, right? :roll:

Greetings, PoS. :2wave:

You're not insane, since our foreign policy may indeed be to blame! It seems to me that we are almost being goaded into a war in the ME - by the terrorists in the ME! They hold the advantage there, IMO, since it's familiar territory to them and they don't have to travel far, while we have to cross two oceans to get there; and thanks to the weaponry they have, either stolen or purchased from us and others, they apparently feel confident enough to challenge and mock us!

Then we have to consider Russia and China, who appear to be on their side with agreements they have signed, and who would stand to gain from those, because the idea that America is the only country qualified to lead the world has apparently changed in the world view. Could we count on our supposed allies to join us in this war? I don't know, and that worries me because most of the countries in the EU, as one example, are totally dependent on Russian oil to survive, and a well placed threat to discontinue same could give them no choice....

Last edited:
You start out by saying that any one who disagrees with you is wrong and call those people unpatriotic and unAmerican but then talk about someone else's mind being closed on this.

If you can't see the irony in that I don't know what to tell you.

Good point.

Then no one should even attempt to debate with me on this because my mind is pretty much closed on this.

Great plan. :roll:

Perhaps we should have done the same thing in WW2. You know, let the locals handle it. After all, you couldn't kill every German or Japanese trooper, right, so what's the point of fighting? Let the Czechs and Brits and French handle it. If they can't? Too bad, but it's not like America is connected to the rest of the world, right? :roll:

:roll:

You are seriously comparing ISIS to Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan during WW2...oh Jeez. That is the most ridiculous thing I have read today.

1 - both Japan and Germany declared war against America. ISIS has not even directly attacked America yet. Sure, a few whackos attacked them and then claimed to be doing it for ISIS. But the attacks had NOTHING directly to do with ISIS. ISIS just took credit for them after the fact.
2 - both countries had the ability (especially together) - had America done nothing - to actually conquer America. ISIS has no navy or air force and are at most 20,000 strong. They have ZERO - repeat ZERO - chance of conquering America. None, zip nada, diddly...got it?
3 - Now read this very carefully - because you are clearly CLUELESS on this point. Other countries civil war's are NONE OF AMERICA'S BUSINESS - outside of mass genocide. And America ain't attacking ISIL because of mass genocide. The neocon morons are attacking ISIL for VERY different reasons. Got that now? Probably not.

Aww forget it...you are obviously a necon and as such a COMPLETE AND TOTAL waste of my time.

Anyone who would compare Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany declaring war on America with ISIS/ISIL has NO IDEA about history and is a TOTAL AND COMPLETE waste of my time on this.

Finally, please remember for the future...on this subject, I have ZERO respect for your opinion. NONE. Other subjects may very. But this one - I swear on my mother's grave that I assume I will learn more conversing with a small rock then I will chatting with you on this subject. I mean that 100%.
Start reading, stop falling for the government propaganda and OPEN YOUR MIND up to the possibility that maybe you are not as informed as you obviously assume you are. Because please trust me on this - you DEFINITELY are NOT.

Are conversation on this is now at an end.

Adios.

Last edited:
These people honor you, Obama, and this is how you treat them? You asshole. I am definitely not voting for Obama in 2016.
You guys purposefully misconstrue Trump's comment of BO being the founder of ISIS. Using the same dark logic as Trump used in the founder statement, Trump and Hillary will be the founders of viable 3rd plus political parties in the US. Trump is saying BO (among others) was the causer/founder of ISIS. Get it now?

:roll:

You are seriously comparing ISIS to Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan during WW2...oh Jeez. That is the most ridiculous thing I have read today.

1 - both Japan and Germany declared war against America. ISIS has not even directly attacked America yet. Sure, a few whackos attacked them and then claimed to be doing it for ISIS. But the attacks had NOTHING directly to do with ISIS. ISIS just took credit for them after the fact.
2 - both countries had the ability (especially together) - had America done nothing - to actually conquer America. ISIS has no navy or air force and are at most 20,000 strong. They have ZERO - repeat ZERO - chance of conquering America. None, zip nada, diddly...got it?
3 - Now read this very carefully - because you are clearly CLUELESS on this point. Other countries civil war's are NONE OF AMERICA'S BUSINESS - outside of mass genocide. And America ain't attacking ISIL because of mass genocide. The neocon morons are attacking ISIL for VERY different reasons. Got that now? Probably not.

Aww forget it...you are obviously a necon and as such a COMPLETE AND TOTAL waste of my time.

Anyone who would compare Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany declaring war on America with ISIS/ISIL has NO IDEA about history and is a TOTAL AND COMPLETE waste of my time on this.

Finally, please remember for the future...on this subject, I have ZERO respect for your opinion. NONE. Other subjects may very. But this one - I swear on my mother's grave that I assume I will learn more conversing with a small rock then I will chatting with you on this subject. I mean that 100%.
Start reading, stop falling for the government propaganda and OPEN YOUR MIND up to the possibility that maybe you are not as informed as you obviously assume you are. Because please trust me on this - you DEFINITELY are NOT.

Are conversation on this is now at an end.

Adios.

All three groups have genocidal intent towards various other groups, so the comparison isn't as absurd as you seem to think it is. Just because ISIS isn't a traditional state doesn't take away from its actions towards various minorities and any and all of those opposing it.

Japan had exactly zero ability to conquer America. Zip. Zilch. Nada. But just because a group isn't going to be invading New York at dawn doesn't mean that you can simply ignore them.

Your hysterics are quite amusing, by the way. You seem on the verge of apoplexy over the idea that the US might just decide to crush ISIS' so called "caliphate" like a bug.

Threats can't be allowed to fester. Had England and France been ready and willing to fight over Czechoslovakia, Hitler could have been stopped much earlier and millions upon millions would have survived.

It seems to me that you don't have any room to talk in regards to having an open mind, as well.....

So what?

Okay, I'll say it: You can defeat a major terrorist group by trying to kill them all. It took twenty-five years, but they did it in Sri Lanka.

How Sri Lanka Won the War | The Diplomat

Negotiating with ISIS isn't an option. They can be defeated. It would require time and the commitment of an effective strategy and force. Short of that, taking out their leadership is better than letting them live.

Good point.

Then no one should even attempt to debate with me on this because my mind is pretty much closed on this.
At least you man enough to admit your mind is closed. Hats off. Most won't.

:lamo:lamo:lamo

What origination ???? According too the NYT's, Obama's fight against ISIS has been more about manipulating intelligence reports and perpetuating Obama administration talking points

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/us/politics/military-reviews-us-response-to-isis-rise.html

" In July, a group of intelligence analysts at the U.S. military’s Central Command accused their bosses of distorting and selectively editing intelligence reports about the fight against ISIS in order to portray that campaign as more successful than it really was. As a result of those complaints, the Pentagon’s inspector general opened an investigation. Now, the allegations of misconduct have extended to a possible cover-up, with some analysts accusing the senior intelligence officials at Centcom, Maj. Gen. Steven Grove and his civilian deputy, Gregory Ryckman, of deleting emails and files from computer systems before the inspector general could examine them, three individuals familiar with the investigation told The Daily Beast...At the heart of the analysts’ allegations is what they describe as a persistent effort by Grove and his team to downplay or even change reports that that questioned how much progress a U.S.-led coalition is making in the Obama administration’s stated goal to degrade, destroy, and defeat ISIS. Draft reports that contained a more pessimistic view, or that questioned the efficacy of hitting certain targets, were sent back to the analysts for more extensive rewriting. ".

Lol.....so instead of actually fighting ISIS, the Obama administration pressured CENTCOM to manipulate assessments to fit some bull **** narrative.

" Two defense officials said that some felt the commander for intelligence at CENTCOM failed to keep political pressures from Washington from bearing on lower-level analysts at command headquarters in Tampa, Florida. That pressure, while described as subtle and not overt, is nevertheless clear, the analysts said: Assessments on ISIS should comport with “the leadership consensus,” that is, top policymakers’ view, that the U.S.-led campaign against the group is paying dividends. "

It explains how Obama could claim that ISIS was " contained " a day before the Paris Terrorist attacks.
Obama declared ISIS 'contained' day before Paris attack - CNNPolitics.com

Back
Top Bottom