• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Accused Of Human Rights Violations In Puerto Rico

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Champion of Human Rights joins the club.
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- The National Lawyers Guild and other groups have filed a petition with the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights against the U.S. government in a case involving Puerto Ricans living in the island of Vieques, which was once used as a bombing range.
The petition accuses the U.S. of abuses following decades of live-fire training on the island by the U.S. Navy. The military left in 2003 after an errant bomb killed a security guard in 1999.
U.S. Accused Of Human Rights Violations In Puerto Rico

G'Day RDS. :2wave: Whats the Population of that Island? Were they living there when any of the testing was going on or did they go in afterwards? I would have thought that the we would have determined whether there was any population on that island. Before going and using it as a test site.

If these people moved in afterwards or during such a time. Then that would be on them.

G'Day RDS. :2wave: Whats the Population of that Island? Were they living there when any of the testing was going on or did they go in afterwards? I would have thought that the we would have determined whether there was any population on that island. Before going and using it as a test site.

If these people moved in afterwards or during such a time. Then that would be on them.

It's not like they moved in mid-bombing run. If somebody builds a house in the middle of my firing range, I should probably stop shooting in that direction.

Now, the toxic leftover stuff is a different problem. That, yes, I'd agree that people moving in later have some liability of their own there.

It's not like they moved in mid-bombing run. If somebody builds a house in the middle of my firing range, I should probably stop shooting in that direction.

Now, the toxic leftover stuff is a different problem. That, yes, I'd agree that people moving in later have some liability of their own there.

Heya Duece. :2wave: I would agree with that.....but then like I said. I would have thought we would have made certain that the island was uninhabited.

Plus we are cleaning it up. So any moving in afterwards would be doing so against warnings. As I doubt we said that it would be safe.

Back
Top Bottom