• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.N. torture sleuth says Cuba blocked visit

Sandokan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
U.N. torture sleuth says Cuba blocked visit
U.N. torture sleuth says Cuba blocked visit | Reuters

Robert Evans
GENEVA
Jun 9, 2010 1:31pm

Reuters) - Cuba has told the United Nations special investigator on torture that he cannot visit the island on a fact-finding mission although an invitation was issued to him last year, the official said on Wednesday.

Austrian lawyer Manfred Nowak, known for his frank talking to both developed and developing countries on the issue, said in a statement Havana had told him it could not receive him before his mandate runs out at the end of October this year.

"I regret that, in spite of its clear invitation, the government of Cuba has not allowed me to objectively assess the situation of torture and ill-treatment in the country by collecting first-hand evidence from all available sources," he declared.
The last time that the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) was allow to visit a Cuba’s prison was July 1959. By contrast, ICRC delegates have regularly visited detainees at the US military detention centre at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba and have strongly criticized the absence of a legal framework "that appropriately addresses either the detainees' status or the future of their detention".

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights too has been denied access repeatedly through the years.

One of the great accomplishments of the Castro brothers’ corrupt military dictatorship that the Cubans have enjoyed for the last 50 years has been the out-of-proportion proliferation of detention centers, prisons, and labor camps throughout the island. In 1958, there were 14 prisons in Cuba. Now, as is shown on the map below, there are around 300, and 45 of them are high-security prisons. The entire island is full of prisons. How is possible the existence of so many prisons in Cuba? That is possible due to the totalitarian communist system imposed in the island.

Prisons in Cuba

castrogulag3.jpg

And to think, all those people that admire Che, will never admit he helped make that Island Paradise.

I find it absolutely hilarious that this marxist POS is now a commercial icon, yet none of the young or for that matter, the old fart revoltionaries sporting his t-shirt understand they are supporting capitalism when they buy Che ****...

I find it absolutely hilarious that this marxist POS is now a commercial icon, yet none of the young or for that matter, the old fart revoltionaries sporting his t-shirt understand they are supporting capitalism when they buy Che ****...

It's really more about teenagers and college students trying to be edgy than actual support for Che and his views. Like Goth kids, basically, but slightly less stupid looking.
Also, "torture sleuth" is the best title ever.

Che, the medical doctor who took the Hypocratic oath then bashes near 2000 peoples heads in "personally" with a louisville slugger. He deserves only to be remembered as a MURDERING BASTARD. He should just be happy he only got a bullet in the head and not.... worse.

A treat for all your 'I hate Che' needs....Che-Mart: Che Guevara T-Shirts, mugs, sweaters, buttons

MrVicchio said:
And to think, all those people that admire Che, will never admit he helped make that Island Paradise.
ric27 said:
I find it absolutely hilarious that this marxist POS is now a commercial icon, yet none of the young or for that matter, the old fart revoltionaries sporting his t-shirt understand they are supporting capitalism when they buy Che
Deuce said:
It's really more about teenagers and college students trying to be edgy than actual support for Che and his views. Like Goth kids, basically, but slightly less stupid looking.
Also, "torture sleuth" is the best title ever.
For those interested in Che Guevara, I opened a thread titled “The Real Che Guevara” in the General Political Discussion Forum. This is the link: http://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/72631-real-che-guevara.html

According to United Nations statistics, “there are approximately 294 prisons and correctional labor camps in Cuba that hold anywhere between 100,000 and 200,000 prisoners at one time. The prisoners are not only common thieves, murderers, and violent criminals, sometimes including juveniles, but also political dissidents.”

In 1958, with a population of 6.5 millions, there were 4,000 prisoners; by 2010, with a population 11.5 millions, there are at least 100,000 prisoners. In the last 50 years have been a 20-fold increase in the number of prisons, and 25-fold increase in the number of prisoners.

At this site you can find a list of the high and low security prison, correctional centers, their name and location in Cuba. Link: Cuba-Junky : Prisons in Cuba

I think we should send in Jimmy Carter to check this out. Maybe he could have a team including Danny Glover. :lol:

For those interested in Che Guevara, I opened a thread titled “The Real Che Guevara” in the General Political Discussion Forum. This is the link: http://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/72631-real-che-guevara.html

According to United Nations statistics, “there are approximately 294 prisons and correctional labor camps in Cuba that hold anywhere between 100,000 and 200,000 prisoners at one time. The prisoners are not only common thieves, murderers, and violent criminals, sometimes including juveniles, but also political dissidents.”

In 1958, with a population of 6.5 millions, there were 4,000 prisoners; by 2010, with a population 11.5 millions, there are at least 100,000 prisoners. In the last 50 years have been a 20-fold increase in the number of prisons, and 25-fold increase in the number of prisoners.

At this site you can find a list of the high and low security prison, correctional centers, their name and location in Cuba. Link: Cuba-Junky : Prisons in Cuba

I'm pretty well familiar with that jackass and his activities. My point is that a 22 year old with a Che shirt and a nosering thinks he's being edgy and philisophical, but actually has no idea what he's talking about. You know, morons.

American said:
I think we should send in Jimmy Carter to check this out. Maybe he could have a team including Danny Glover
Good idea, I support it .
I'm pretty well familiar with that jackass and his activities. My point is that a 22 year old with a Che shirt and a nosering thinks he's being edgy and philisophical, but actually has no idea what he's talking about. You know, morons.
I agree a 100% with your statement. There is a saying in Argentina that backup your point: “I have a Che T-shirt, and I don’t know why.”

One local human rights organization lists more than 200 political prisoners currently detained in Cuba in addition to as many as 5,000 people sentenced for “dangerousness.” According to the regime Criminal Code “dangerousness” is a “pre-criminal” state in which a person’s behavior suggests that he or she is of the type likely to commit a crime in the future. The Castro brothers’ tyranny has perfected it as a tool of repression.

Castro brothers and the military/political elite should be sanctioned for this and so many other violations they have been constantly inflicting upon the Cuban population, at the same time that they deceive and laugh at the whole world.

Back
Top Bottom