• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.N. Panel Issues Stark Climate-Change Warning

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This has been a topic discussed for a couple of decades that came with warnings that if we don't do something to change our ways when it comes to our atmosphere, we'll be in an irreversible position to prevent dire consequences to life. Those warnings have become more urgent these past 5 years, imo. Unfortunately, a certain set of humans have ignored, sometimes laughed at, making any proper changes needed to avert what's dead ahead. Extreme heat, droughts and forest fires. We're at a point right now, in which heat, drought and fires are growing in many places, including the US. We're witnessing the toothpaste escaping the tube no longer able to put said toothpaste back into the tube.

Since we're on a faster track with these increasing hardships due to climate change, (thanks to willful ignorance from those in leadership positions + those willing to follow), we're faced with having to adapt and cope with such coming dire consequences already in partial progress. Keep in mind that not only humans suffer, but animals as well. Crops dwindle away causing more hunger and especially poorer choices of what we eat simply because, a lack of choices available. Air that we need to breathe is becoming more smoke filled. Water shortages and in some cases poorer water quality. So, my friends, any ideas for all of the adaptations we'll be needing and experiencing over the next 10-20 years? (I know that the article expresses that we don't have any time left to adapt, but when push comes to shove - well - adaptation is what stands between life and death).

Issued by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, an organization of 195 governments, the report is drawn from a three-year analysis of 14,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies. It is the first major international assessment of climate-change research since 2013 and the first of four IPCC reports expected in the next 15 months.

“We’ve known for decades that the world is warming, but this report tells us that recent changes in the climate are widespread, rapid and intensifying, unprecedented in thousands of years,” said Ko Barrett, vice chair of the panel and the senior adviser for climate at the Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “Further, it is indisputable that human activities are causing climate change.”

“When you see what has happened this summer with heat waves in Canada and the heavy precipitation in Germany, I think this is showing that even highly developed countries are not spared,” said Sonia Seneviratne, a senior scientist at ETH Zurich in Switzerland and a lead co-author of the report. “We don’t really have time to adapt anymore because the change is happening so quickly.”

I think we may be finally past the point when the little army to talk radio righties who spent most of the last thirty years denying global warming, and trying to parse the science with the manufactured junk science that came from the oil and extraction industries.

The turning point seems to have been the realization in the last year or so that the auto industry all over the world is going to go electric.

And, the denial really dropped off once Ford announced the F-150 Lightening.

I realize that may seem childish. But the F-150 as an electric vehicle was a sure fire way to make it clear to the folks most likely to be in the denial camp, that doing something about global warming is the future. It hits them right at home. Before the Lightening, electric cars , solar panels and the like were for greenies and eccentrics. But now, after the Lightening, they’re middle American.

Deniers are gonna do what they do best, deny.

The evidence is clear and we’re now beginning to live the nightmare.

Where I live for example, more warm days than ever before with houses built for cooler temperatures and winters in mind and I can’t afford AC, we’re roasting and there’s no end in sight.

On top of that never ending and more extreme wild fires making it hard to go outside.

Deniers are the bane of all mankind as this is only gonna get worse.

Who said they are human?

That is a good question. Over the past year we witnessed millions of people deny the existence, severity or significance of the CoVid virus. Even when it killed 600,000 Americans many continued in their denial. These people have shown a remarkable disregard to human life (if not their own, then their friends, family and fellow citizens) by refusing to wear masks and by refusing the vaccine. Yes, it is appropriate to questioning their basic humanity.

Many of the CoVid deniers are also climate deniers. After what we witnessed over the past year, its hard to believe these people will embrace the issues associated with climate change, even if their lives depended upon it, which they do, but they don't care. They clearly do not give a rat's .... about anything but themselves on this particular day. Pathetic!

Who said they are human?
I force myself to refer to them as the human species, but truth be known, they're ate-up dumbass accepters - a dangerous offshoot of our human species.

Imo, we passed the tipping point a decade or two ago. Like everything else, those in money/power think there will be seats for them when the music stops playing….

I force myself to refer to them as the human species, but truth be known, they're ate-up dumbass accepters - a dangerous offshoot of our human species.
They are opportunists willfully preying on those that lack critical thinking skills and/or general overall intelligence. There are a few, I imagine, that actually believe the BS that they sling. Either way, they have no place in a civilized society.

Who said they are human?

Let's not deny the depths that humanity actually sinks to. That can be an even worse form of denial. Our capacity for willful ignorance and outright awfulness is baked in. One of the hallmarks of the worst crimes in human history has been denying the humanity of others. I assume this comment was at least partially a joke, but given how polarized we already are, it's worth a reminder.

I'm really sad how far things have come before we even started to take it seriously. Even now, we are moving way too slow. The longer we delay, the more we will lose and the more expensive things will be to correct.

Notice the remarkable absence of the flood of talk radio right wing types who used to flood threads like this with random articles from global warming denial sites!

The economic and political elite bear a huge responsibility for the climate crisis and for that action on climate change have been delayed for many decades.

There we now need to take action as both citizens and consumers. There it can also be great benefits with a transition away from fossil fuels.

This has been a topic discussed for a couple of decades that came with warnings that if we don't do something to change our ways when it comes to our atmosphere, we'll be in an irreversible position to prevent dire consequences to life. Those warnings have become more urgent these past 5 years, imo. Unfortunately, a certain set of humans have ignored, sometimes laughed at, making any proper changes needed to avert what's dead ahead. Extreme heat, droughts and forest fires. We're at a point right now, in which heat, drought and fires are growing in many places, including the US. We're witnessing the toothpaste escaping the tube no longer able to put said toothpaste back into the tube.

Since we're on a faster track with these increasing hardships due to climate change, (thanks to willful ignorance from those in leadership positions + those willing to follow), we're faced with having to adapt and cope with such coming dire consequences already in partial progress. Keep in mind that not only humans suffer, but animals as well. Crops dwindle away causing more hunger and especially poorer choices of what we eat simply because, a lack of choices available. Air that we need to breathe is becoming more smoke filled. Water shortages and in some cases poorer water quality. So, my friends, any ideas for all of the adaptations we'll be needing and experiencing over the next 10-20 years? (I know that the article expresses that we don't have any time left to adapt, but when push comes to shove - well - adaptation is what stands between life and death).

Issued by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, an organization of 195 governments, the report is drawn from a three-year analysis of 14,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies. It is the first major international assessment of climate-change research since 2013 and the first of four IPCC reports expected in the next 15 months.

“We’ve known for decades that the world is warming, but this report tells us that recent changes in the climate are widespread, rapid and intensifying, unprecedented in thousands of years,” said Ko Barrett, vice chair of the panel and the senior adviser for climate at the Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “Further, it is indisputable that human activities are causing climate change.”

“When you see what has happened this summer with heat waves in Canada and the heavy precipitation in Germany, I think this is showing that even highly developed countries are not spared,” said Sonia Seneviratne, a senior scientist at ETH Zurich in Switzerland and a lead co-author of the report. “We don’t really have time to adapt anymore because the change is happening so quickly.”
I personally am tending towards the view that we won't address this sufficiently until the consequences force us to.
And the point at which they force us to is going to be well after the point at which those consequences are multiple disasters.

Assuming they aren't already.

I personally am tending towards the view that we won't address this sufficiently until the consequences force us to.
And the point at which they force us to is going to be well after the point at which those consequences are multiple disasters.

Part of the issue is that it's tough to have a conversation about 'what do we do'? Many of the people who cry the loudest, 'we must do something!' fall silent when it comes to specifics. At best you get a vague, 'spend a trillion dollars, as a start' from people like AOC.

Where we're at though, as a country, is moving in the right direction. The US has been steadily cutting emissions while improving productivity and efficiency. Everyone, even conservatives, want a cleaner environment.

The challenge though, that no one seems to want to address, is China. They are pumping out the pollution, with no regards for efficiency or it's impact on the environment.. That's where the UN's focus needs to be.

Deniers are gonna do what they do best, deny.

The evidence is clear and we’re now beginning to live the nightmare.

Where I live for example, more warm days than ever before with houses built for cooler temperatures and winters in mind and I can’t afford AC, we’re roasting and there’s no end in sight.

On top of that never ending and more extreme wild fires making it hard to go outside.

Deniers are the bane of all mankind as this is only gonna get worse.

No gaslighting here, nor insight, it appears!

E8bV5ZKXEAAwj41

You think with your eyes wide open. For decades I've noticed something very common in our collective thinking. We act when it's too late. That begets a state of forcing ourselves to undo mostly the undoable - from a position of being behind the curve. The previous 4 years prior to Jan 20 has set us far behind that curve 50 years - maybe more. Not only the physical repercussions of those 4 years but mostly the mental takeover on the simple minds who now support and push our climate demise at a much accelerated rate. Yes, even now, those simpletons still don't get it.

Winter is Coming?
For now, yup. Decades to come, less likely.

Scientists at NOAA predict that global sea level is very likely to rise at least 12 inches above 2000 levels by 2100, even on a low-emissions pathway.

Sea level rise is driven by the melting of glaciers and ice sheets, as well as water that expands as it warms.

And with higher sea levels comes more frequent flooding. NOAA estimates that high tide flooding not associated with a major weather event - also known as nuisance flooding - is from 300% to 900% more frequent in many U.S. coastal communities than it was just 50 years ago.

Notice the remarkable absence of the flood of talk radio right wing types who used to flood threads like this with random articles from global warming denial sites!

Hi, TomFitz!

Talk radio hosts have latched on to the 'freedom' vs. masks nonsense. Interestingly, the drafters of our federal Constitution were aware of this characteristic of the human species [Re-named by Mr. H.L. Mencken as Homo Boobus,] and commented upon it in Federalist Paper # 10.

And so it goes ...

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

A Dutch engineer was last year proposing massive dams to enclose the entire North Sea between Britain and the European mainland to defend against flooding! It's starting to look less insane!

You think with your eyes wide open. For decades I've noticed something very common in our collective thinking. We act when it's too late. That begets a state of forcing ourselves to undo mostly the undoable - from a position of being behind the curve. The previous 4 years prior to Jan 20 has set us far behind that curve 50 years - maybe more. Not only the physical repercussions of those 4 years but mostly the mental takeover on the simple minds who now support and push our climate demise at a much accelerated rate. Yes, even now, those simpletons still don't get it.
Much of the problem lies with short-term thinking. Politicians have finite professional lives, and addressing something which spans generations just isn't 'sexy' for, I suspect, the majority of his/her electorate who want action and results now; neither is it politically advantageous for the politician. What is needed is a cohesive, multilaterally international approach, much like the Montreal Protocol. It is now thirty years since it was enacted and it worked. We can do anything if the will is there.

Last edited:
One of the problems for me is the earth has warmed and cooled many times before humans were around. Climate change is not new to the earth. Change is normal to the earth. For example, we are coming off the last ice age. This began about 2.6 million years ago, with natural global warming ending the ice age about 11,000 year ago.

Glacier used to be farther south than NYC. We only started to complain about the glaciers when they reached the Arctic Circle after several thousands miles of retreat, due melting caused by natural global warming. The hype conveniently ignores natural climate change and tries to suggest this it all the due to man, which seems deceptive to me. If they spoke of both, I was be more obliged to listen. Are you aware the world forest fires can produce as much CO2 as the automobile, with fires worse since they make CO2 and also disrupt the CO2 absorption by burning these same plants and trees.

I read the summary of the UN report and they said the CO2 has not been this high in about 4 million years. That sounds very scary. However, humans were not a factor 4 million years ago, yet the CO2 was just as high then, as today. How did that happen back then without fossil fuels and human? Nobody answers these questions, but the fear mongering continues.

Another problems is we are not comparing apples to apples when it comes to global temperature. When the records were first created about 130 year ago, there were very few weather stations and everyone back then used mercury thermometers. Now we collect data with better electronic tools including satellites. Also the number and world placement of the official data stations were more limited 130 years ago. We do not have apples to apples.

Why don't the experts only use data from these same locations with mercury thermometers, so we can compare apples to apples? Why add more places, that were not part of the old records? If we cherry pick the right places, we can break records easier. This is good for the climate change gravy train industries. Has anyone compared apples to apples using only the same placement and tools, so everything is fair and no fudge can be used? I have never seen such data.

Science does not have its own resources. Very few if any scientists do their science at their own expense. Science is not Stark Industries of IronMan fame. Science and scientists are beholden to benefactors in industry, government and private donations. The person with the money will have a say in what they will invest. A tobacco company does science, but will not invest resources in any valid study that makes itself look bad. If it did by mistake it will never be published. Most of the money for climate science has a left wing stamp on it. The bulk results need to reflect the opinion of the benefactor. It is still good science but no all possible science since some is not beneficial.

For example, in the US most universities have a liberal bend which mean there is all types of valid science research that will not be allowed, since its results could be counter productive to the Liberal agenda. This is how you stack publications and fake a consensus. A real consensus would be allowed to look under all stones, and not just the ones required. It is still science either way but each ways will look different.

The main global warming gas is water, not CO2 or methane. The water in the oceans keeps the earth habitable. If we had only as much water as CO2 and methane the earth would get very cold. Water should get top billing, so why not? As temperature rises due to all causes, more water will go into the atmosphere which means more clouds, with clouds causing cooling. Go in the sun and wait for a cloud to see if more clouds would cool the earth. Nature has a feedback system in place.

As far as the oceans rising, why is this not the same all over the world, since we have one sea level? Is sea level different in different places, even with the ocean all connected? Water seeks it own level. The answer is yes due to the earth's 3-D gravity profile. Google "3-D earth gravity map" to see why some places are flooding and others are not, with both at sea level. Gravity does this not climate change. Is this new to anyone? Why is the propaganda not being fully honest with natural data?

Last edited:
One of the problems for me is the earth has warmed and cooled many times before humans were around. Climate change is not new to the earth. Change is normal to the earth. For example, we are coming off the last ice age. This began about 2.6 million years ago, with natural global warming ending the ice age about 11,000 year ago.

Glacier used to be farther south than NYC. We only started to complain when the glaciers when they reached the Arctic Circle after several thousands miles of retreat due melting caused by natural global warming. The hype conveniently ignores natural climate change and tries to suggest this it all the due to man, which seems deceptive to me. If they spoke of both, I was be more obliged to listen. Are you aware the world forest fires can produce as much CO2 as the automobile, with fires worse since they disrupt make and also disrupt the CO2 absorption by burning plants and trees.

(Shorten your message because word limit.)

There are overwhelming evidence that the present warming is caused by human emissions of greenhouse gases.

Also federal agencies was during the last four years under the control of Donald Trump and republican climate deniers like James Inhofe so those agencies had a strong motivation to disprove the urgent need for action and the Republicans in charge could have easily found any faults with the scientific data.

There the result was not only that federal agencies continued to acknowledge the urgent need for action but also that Trump's pick for head of NASA changed his mind about climate change after looking at the overwhelming evidence.

There the evidences are so overwhelming that even fossil fuel companies have to publicly support the Paris Accord.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom