• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.N. panel cuts gay reference from violence measure

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
U.N. panel cuts gay reference from violence measure | Reuters

(Reuters) - Arab and African nations succeeded Tuesday in getting a U.N. General Assembly panel to delete from a resolution condemning unjustified executions a specific reference to killings due to sexual orientation.

Some people on this forum get upset at me when I state that I believe that some cultures are superior to others. This is the kind of stuff that makes me believe that despite the US's and Europe's problems, we are vastly superior culturally to barbarians such as in the middle east and africa.

Couldn't agree more. The idea that all cultures are morally equal is the most idiotic belief I can think of. Of course there is good and bad in all cultures. However, there is no denying the barbarity openly on display in many parts of the world where the bad overwhelmingly outweighs any redeeming aspects.

That, and the UN is sticking to its increasing tendency to be a joke and a laughing stock.

Some people on this forum get upset at me when I state that I believe that some cultures are superior to others. This is the kind of stuff that makes me believe that despite the US's and Europe's problems, we are vastly superior culturally to barbarians such as in the middle east and africa.

And yet you have idiots like there.

Queers Undermining Israeli Terrorism

Countered by these

Why Queers for Palestine are on the wrong side « Yourish.com

The democracies, under the guise of multiculturalism, are altering much of their customs and culture in order to accommodate second and third rate cultures. This is not "racism", as is so often maintained. Culturalism would be a more appropriate word.

Cultures can be different in remarkably subtle ways, and they can change easily in a generation. One thing is certain though. The strong culture will dominate the weaker culture, no matter what the merits or shortcomings of each.

Last edited:
Sometimes you just want to slap the UN. Like, all of them at the same time, with some sort of massive robo-glove.

This is why I maintain that there are much larger issues within the UN, than the human rights record of the United States.

You neglect to mention that the United States of America allowed this to happen -- since we have an ultimate veto. Terrible thing. We should be ashamed. There can be no other reason but political that we didn't exercise our veto power. Shame on us!!!!

This is the first time I've looked at a post of yours and said '****ing A!!! You go, Duece!' ;)

Librulz won't stand for people not being PC. Whenever political correctness is at stake, you can expecct them come out hard and fast.

Cultural relativism is a subset of moral relativism, which is simply a convenient excuse offered by intellectually lazy people who have run out of logical arguments. When faced with superior reasoning, their response is "Well, you see, since everything is relative.....", which is really just a brand of nihilism when it gets down to it. Nothing really matters because we cannot possibly make a value judgement.

Moral and intellectual bankruptcy.

You neglect to mention that the United States of America allowed this to happen -- since we have an ultimate veto. Terrible thing. We should be ashamed. There can be no other reason but political that we didn't exercise our veto power. Shame on us!!!!

I don;t think they could veto this. All they could do was vote against it, which they did. But they were outnumbered, as were all the civilized nations, by Arab and African countries.

Cultural relativism is a subset of moral relativism, which is simply a convenient excuse offered by intellectually lazy people who have run out of logical arguments. When faced with superior reasoning, their response is "Well, you see, since everything is relative.....", which is really just a brand of nihilism when it gets down to it. Nothing really matters because we cannot possibly make a value judgement.

Moral and intellectual bankruptcy.

Too many big words in there... :2razz:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The United Nations...

Joke of the century.

Most lgbt folks are leftists who are in a political coalition with American Islamists. Islamic culture has specific strictures on the treatment of what Islamists think of as sinners.

Islamic culture will grow in influence in America as it has in Western Europe. When that happens, my lgbt friends will face a level of hostility that they have not known for more than a generation. Lgbt folks should look at the existing period as the golden age. It too will pass.

Too many big words in there... :2razz:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The United Nations...

Joke of the century.

Should I then dispense with my planned dissertation upon the epistomology of meta-ethics with a particular emphasis on ethical naturalism?

Most lgbt folks are leftists who are in a political coalition with American Islamists. Islamic culture has specific strictures on the treatment of what Islamists think of as sinners.

Islamic culture will grow in influence in America as it has in Western Europe. When that happens, my lgbt friends will face a level of hostility that they have not known for more than a generation. Lgbt folks should look at the existing period as the golden age. It too will pass.

Gold. Pure Gold.

That's going in the sig.

Wow :shock:

Wrong.

First off this was a UN General Assembly panel. Here the US does NOT have veto power.

Secondly the US has only veto power in the UN Security Council...

Thirdly, the US is hardly the biggest defender of gay rights in the UN if I recall. The Bush administration would most likely have backed the change.... since....

In turnaround, U.S. signs U.N. gay rights document | Reuters

The United States, in a reversal of Bush administration policy, has decided to sign on to a U.N. declaration that calls for the decriminalization of homosexuality, the State Department said on Wednesday.

In other words, before Obama came to power, the US was allied with the very nations that got this removed via the UN panel.

Sometimes you just want to slap the UN. Like, all of them at the same time, with some sort of massive robo-glove.

Introducing the SMACK-O-MATIC! Constructed of our patented, flexible, stain-proof rubber-based compound, we guarantee a wet SMACK every time you pull the trigger! This puppy packs a punch without closing its fist, and best of all clean-up is easy! Just take it outside and hose the blood off!

Act now, and we'll throw in our state-of-the-art Asshole Proximity Detector ABSOLUTELY FREE! Plug it into your SMACK-O-MATIC, and walk away!

Wrong.

First off this was a UN General Assembly panel. Here the US does NOT have veto power.

Secondly the US has only veto power in the UN Security Council...

Thirdly, the US is hardly the biggest defender of gay rights in the UN if I recall. The Bush administration would most likely have backed the change.... since....

In turnaround, U.S. signs U.N. gay rights document | Reuters

In other words, before Obama came to power, the US was allied with the very nations that got this removed via the UN panel.

Apparently you didn't read the entire article.

The fear was that this law would be used to effect policy in the United States regarding Gay marriage. As BHO has already claimed he shares the same opinion as George Bush regarding Gay marriage this would appear to be a rather foolish move.

On the other hand, perhaps he was lying about his opposition. That seems a solid bet.

And let's keep in mind that under the Bush Administration, more money was contributed towards AIDS research and precautions than from any other country in the world. Over $15 billion. That hardly makes him or the American people anti Gay.

This is the first time I've looked at a post of yours and said '****ing A!!! You go, Duece!' ;)

And then you go a misspell his name. :lol:

The fear was that this law would be used to effect policy in the United States regarding Gay marriage. As BHO has already claimed he shares the same opinion as George Bush regarding Gay marriage this would appear to be a rather foolish move.

On the other hand, perhaps he was lying about his opposition. That seems a solid bet.

And let's keep in mind that under the Bush Administration, more money was contributed towards AIDS research and precautions than from any other country in the world. Over $15 billion. That hardly makes him or the American people anti Gay.

While I do applaud Bush's support for AIDS research and treatment around the world, that was largely spent in African nations where AIDS has a much greater effect in the heterosexual community than in the practically non-existant gay community. Indeed, if you look at the statistics, you'll note that in South Africa (where the disease is most prevalent), men who have sex with men is a statistically insignificant number.

Now, that could be because of the very thing we're talking about in this thread (although, South Africa is the only African nation to decriminalize homosexuality AND constitutionally grant same-sex marriage rights) and gay men are afraid to report, but everything I've ever read about HIV in Africa is that it's a "straight" problem.

Oh I read the whole article and it is a bogus homophobic excuse you and Bush (and BHO) push.

And AIDS is not a gay disease... stop living in the 1980s.

And as long as the US pushes anti-gay policies internally and externally (not so much any more) then the US is anti-gay. There is no way around it.. on this front, the US is in the same boat as Saudi Arabia and Iran.

While I do applaud Bush's support for AIDS research and treatment around the world, that was largely spent in African nations where AIDS has a much greater effect in the heterosexual community than in the practically non-existant gay community. Indeed, if you look at the statistics, you'll note that in South Africa (where the disease is most prevalent), men who have sex with men is a statistically insignificant number.

Now, that could be because of the very thing we're talking about in this thread (although, South Africa is the only African nation to decriminalize homosexuality AND constitutionally grant same-sex marriage rights) and gay men are afraid to report, but everything I've ever read about HIV in Africa is that it's a "straight" problem.

Yes, you are right of course, FilmFestGuy. Gays have a very difficult time in Africa and its not really getting any better. It is also more prevalent among heterosexuals..

I was thinking more of the domestic issue where Gays are more closely associated with AIDS, but that did not deter the President at all, and I applaud him for it.

Oh I read the whole article and it is a bogus homophobic excuse you and Bush (and BHO) push.

I'm homophobic? My son is Gay, schmuck, and you wouldn't dare say that to my face..

And AIDS is not a gay disease... stop living in the 1980s.

What a moron you are.
And as long as the US pushes anti-gay policies internally and externally (not so much any more) then the US is anti-gay. There is no way around it.. on this front, the US is in the same boat as Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Yeah, right!

Remember this? We are the true barbarians.

The Obama administration however has submitted a report to the UN Commissioner on Human Rights, South African judge Navanethem Pillay, which makes direct reference to a popular Arizona immigration law aimed at tackling illegal immigration, which is fiercely opposed by the White House, and is the subject of legal action by the Justice Department. The report references
A recent Arizona law, S.B. 1070, (which) has generated significant attention and debate at home and around the world. The issue is being addressed in a court action that argues that the federal government has the authority to set and enforce immigration law. That action is ongoing; parts of the law are currently enjoined.
Barack Obama has bowed before the UN over Arizona immigration law – Telegraph Blogs

Back
Top Bottom