• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

U.N. Abandons Idea of Anti-Cloning Treaty

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: News Max

UNITED NATIONS – U.N. diplomats abandoned contentious efforts to draft a treaty that would outlaw human cloning and will likely settle for a weaker declaration that won't seek a comprehensive ban, officials said.

The last-minute agreement on Thursday appeared to be a major blow to President Bush, who had called for a total ban on cloning when he spoke before the U.N. General Assembly in August.

Though there is near universal support among the United Nations' 191 members to ban reproductive cloning, the cloning of babies, countries have wrestled over whether to allow cloning for stem cell and other research. For more than a year, the General Assembly's legal committee has been wrestling with rival cloning resolutions. One, offered by Costa Rica, calls for the drafting of a treaty banning all forms of cloning. The other, from Belgium, would allow some cloning for science.

[font=arial, helvetica]What is your take on human cloning?
[/font]

Since when do we care what the UN does or doesn't do? The last I heard, I could be wrong, we don't even pay our UN dues. Why are we still putting any energy at all into this body?

Especially since Bush said "Screw you all" and invaded Iraq without their support.

Secondly, you can't stop a science. I'm sorry. Ban it all you want. Cloning will become an issue regardless.

heyjoeo said:
Especially since Bush said "Screw you all" and invaded Iraq without their support.

Secondly, you can't stop a science. I'm sorry. Ban it all you want. Cloning will become an issue regardless.
We've been telling the UN stuff like that for years, when it suites us, then if we want something from them we try to place demands on them. All while not paying our memebr dues, why they would listen to us at all is beyond me. It's not just a Bush attitude. Clinton did as did just about every President before him. But this attitue of "we're Americans we don't care what you think, now do what we want." is pretty absurd. And in large is why people around the world are hating us more and more each day. That is unless you listen/watch Bill O'Rielly, then only people in France hate us and they suck, so they don't matter.

Last edited:
That is unless you listen/watch Bill O'Rielly, then only people in France hate us and they suck, so they don't matter.

:rofl

I do not watch O'Rielly anymore. Laura Ingram called him out about the conservatives getting him where he is today and he just sat there speechless. It shows that he can't handle the truth and he cannot stand it when it his spin is put back in his face. He is entertaining, but his word is of no value.

I still wonder if the Kofi Annan no confidence will put the UN back on track. Unfortunatly, without them we really have no world economy and without that - we would go broke fast.

vauge said:
That is unless you listen/watch Bill O'Rielly, then only people in France hate us and they suck, so they don't matter.

I do not watch O'Rielly anymore. Laura Ingram called him out about the conservatives getting him where he is today and he just sat there speechless. It shows that he can't handle the truth and he cannot stand it when it his spin is put back in his face. He is entertaining, but his word is of no value.

I still wonder if the Kofi Annan no confidence will put the UN back on track. Unfortunatly, without them we really have no world economy and without that - we would go broke fast.
I saw O'Reilly one day, I do still watch him- just to see what lie he's telling now, and he told his viewer something along the lines of "Because of my call to boycott France, the country's nearly bankrupt. I just read a report in the European Business Journal Review and the country's nearly bankrupt." Now I didn't, still don't, know much about economics. But it seemed far fetched to me that a TV show in another country could bankrupt an entire nation. So I got on-line, turns out I was the only one who saw the piece. It also turns out there is NO European Business Journal Review and France's economy was in fine working order. The whole thing was a lie, as I suspected.

As for the World economy and us going broke. What do you think is happening with this debt? Who do you think is loaning us the money? We owe us much money now to Asian countries it's really scary. The valve of the dollar is dropping quick. Check your local newspaper business section and see what the dollar is worth compared to the Canadain dollar or the Euro. Then go check it, say, 6, 9 and 12 months ago. The $100 US note used to be the worldwide standard, now more and more people are insisting on the Euro because it's stronger and has more creditiblity. Sad.

And what does this mean to the average guy? To begin with imported goods will cost more and in the long run, maybe not so long at this rate, interest rates will go up. Hope you all don't have an adjustable rate mortgage. If so I'd get rid of it and fast. If mortgage rates go through the roof and people do still have a high number of adjustable rate mortgages, then Bush may be not only the first President to have lost over all jobs. But he may no longer be able to make the claim "home ownership's at an all time high." That's something that's always gone up. But not if people start loosing their houses when their payments nearly double because the interest rates hit 14 and 15% like back in the 70's. If you have an 150,000 ARM mortgage and your rate is at 6% your payment's around 900.00 a month, but if the interates climb to say 13% your payment will be 1660.00 a month. Got an extra 760.00 a month for you house payment? Not to mention you're gonning to be paying more for stuff since we don't make much in this country anymore. But I'm probably just being an "economic girlie man."

France is indeed pretty rough economically. But, it has to do with increasing the import tax. I just saw on the news (uh oh - FOX!) that they are around 9% unemployment and we are around 5%.

Who do you think is loaning us the money?
A private company called the Federal Reserve.

vauge said:
France is indeed pretty rough economically. But, it has to do with increasing the import tax. I just saw on the news (uh oh - FOX!) that they are around 9% unemployment and we are around 5%.

A private company called the Federal Reserve.
How nice it must be to have simply answers to complex problems. However here's what the Washington Post had to say about it in July:

"According to Treasury data -- table OFS-2, if you want see for yourself, on the Web at www.fms.treas.gov/bulletin/ b24ofs.doc -- when the Bush administration started, we had $2.88 trillion of privately held national debt, of which $1.03 trillion was owned by foreign and international investors. As of March 31, the most recent data available, privately owned debt had risen to $3.5 trillion, of which foreigners owned $1.71 trillion.
Now, a little math. Privately owned debt, as you can see, was up by $620 billion since the Bush administration started -- but foreigners' holdings were up by $680 billion. This means that foreigners accounted for the entire increase in privately held debt -- and then some."

The entire article may be read here.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29869-2004Jul5.html

Last edited:
vauge said:
QUOTE]

Damn! I've been caught in my own spin, Maybe I was spinning some here. But France's problems had nothing to do with Mr. Bill.

As far as us being around 5% are we really at 5% or are those the ones that still show up on the stats. and qualify for benefits? The others have just been unemployed for so long now they no longer qualify for benefits.

Last edited:
Thank you for the correction. Maybe Moore was right about foreign investors!? :eek:

Employment data at 5.5% = US department of Labor
(lagging - shows Octobers numbers)

Explanatory note says nothing about unemployment compensation just employed or not (with +/-1.6% of error). Isn't compensation state side?

vauge said:
Thank you for the correction. Maybe Moore was right about foreign investors!? :eek:

Employment data at 5.5% = US department of Labor
(lagging - shows Octobers numbers)

Explanatory note says nothing about unemployment compensation just employed or not (with +/-1.6% of error). Isn't compensation state side?
Execellent source thanks! :applaud See the damn spin goes in both directions. I just saw some "Liberal" guy on ??? I don't remember, But he was saying "yeah, but the numbers don't include poeple who've been unemployed for so long they don't show up on the stats."

:spin:

New smilie, but by all means, if anyone is a real artist - feel free to create one. :)

vauge said:

I tend to like Laura, she's like Ann Coulter without the Bat Shit crazy lies and twisted logic.

I am against the idea of cloning in the case of one thing, if embryos are made specifically for cloning. If they use embryos already created, that's fine.

Welcome to Debate Politics!!

:wcm

Thank you for bringing back the topic, we got a little side tracked.

Back
Top Bottom