• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.K. probes claims Islamic schools teaching anti-Semitism

Laila

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Britain’s education department is to look at how it can check Islamic weekend schools after the BBC reported it had uncovered more than 40 of them teaching anti-Semitic views and extreme punishment for sodomy and theft.

The BBC said its “Panorama” program, which will air on Monday evening, had found a network of weekend Islamic schools in Britain were teaching children how to chop off the hands of thieves, that Zionists are trying to take over the world and that sodomy is punishable by death.

U.K. probes claims Islamic schools teaching anti-Semitism, extreme punishments - The Globe and Mail

Good news.
I don't know if anyone saw the Panorama documentary but wow ...

For those who can't watch it outside of UK:
You can kinda see what it's about
YouTube - BBC Panorama: Saudi school lessons in UK - Muslims taught Anti-Semite Anti-Gay classes

Is it time to start closing down faith schools? Yes/No?
Greater regulation?

Last edited:
You'd think lessons would have been learned after the Undercover Mosques expose, but no. Hardly surprising as under the last Labour government it would take a telly show pulling the rug before they'd admit any serious out-of-control stuff. (As if we never noticed.....)

A non-Muslim related example is of that corpulent swine John Prescott saying 'lessons are learned' after each and every rail crash.

Faith schools can be a good idea if properly regulated. Though, despite the Beeb's cack-handed attempt at being 'even-handed', to the point of dishonest moral equivilence, this is primarily a Muslim problem. They're the ones with the Islam. And nobody else would be allowed to get away with half the things many of them do. But they still whine about being persecuted, being 'just like the Jews in Nazi Germany'.

Anyway, I ramble.

I saw the doc' myself. Uploaded it as well but mum's the word: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europ...faith-britain-even-poison-their-own-kids.html

Of course, a whole casebook is collated there too. I'm sure we've all seen it by now but it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

Last edited:
-- Is it time to start closing down faith schools? Yes/No?
Greater regulation?

I don't think greater regulation is the answer, one of the problems was that Ofsted yet again went into an educational / children institution and gave it an "outstanding" report only to be told later that like Haringey Council and other centres, there were undiscovered horrors. In this case it was horrendous teachings and radicalising preachers invited in to talk to young minds.

The regulation that is there must be made to work better and the bodies involved must do an educational job and not a Govt propaganda job. The documentary showed examples of muslim faith schools which were inclusive and did a good educational job so it's only fools who argue the whole of Islam is the problem. Islam itself isn't the problem, it's the interpretation put into it by different parties who can and do manipulate our laws to their own end.

The other question raised was "should faith schools be closed down?"

The Oldham example of segregated areas and insular societies within societies showed a logical conclusion to kids growing up unaware of each other and of the dominant culture of the country. I do think a body such as Ofsted should be much more rigorous in its dealings with faith schools although I personally think Ofsted itsef should have a complete clearout and start afresh with new staff and a whole new transparent process clear of any political agenda.

Faith schools must be made to demonstrate to the wider public their credentials and actions on inclusivitiy and preparation of citizens of this country. Those muslim faith schools investigated showed citizens being prepared for life in a society more like Saudi Arabia than that of the UK.

The one encouraging element of the whole programe was the fear and resentment (shown by those abusing the faith school system and those radical clerics) of our liberal culture of freedom and liberty. The only way to truly change some of these problems is to educate all citizens of this country of our freedoms - that they are not reserved for white christian descendents only and that we have an expectation on any and all who settle or live here that these rights and liberties are for all - christian, atheist, muslim, jew, rastafarian, buddhist, male, female etc.

Giving in to preachers of hate on any side or ethnic group is not the answer and some of our newspapers need to be aware of their role in creating white preachers of hate too.

Preachers should not have any business teaching kids in my opinion. Through out history preachers (of any religion) have brainwashed children to fight holy wars for governments and religions and it is continuing today. I find the idea of religious based schooling highly problematic, as their focus is on the religious aspect of things and not on facts and a ground education. We have seen stories of religious based schools around the world making children believe in the most idiotic backwards thinking things and in many cases it is so bad that these children could not even get into a higher education institution (unless also run by a religion) because they dont have the basics correct.

I missed the panorama show, but I would love them to do a similar show on evangelical and Scientology schools and so on, as I would wager they would show similar brainwashing.

--
I missed the panorama show, but I would love them to do a similar show on evangelical and Scientology schools and so on, as I would wager they would show similar brainwashing.

There aren't enough Scientologists in the UK to spell Ron L Hubbard I think - let alone put a school together.

Could be wrong - we're due a census in a few years.

There aren't enough Scientologists in the UK to spell Ron L Hubbard I think - let alone put a school together.

Could be wrong - we're due a census in a few years.

You would be very wrong. It is estimated over 100k if not 200k in the UK alone and it is growing. The UK is one of the only places that sees it as a religion. Rest of Europe see it as a cult if not a criminal organisation.

Revealed: how Scientologists infiltrated Britain's schools - Times Online

and

Scientology in the UK: a status report

And this site lists one of them

ESK - Scientology Schools

Greenfields School - Private Scientology day and boarding school located in the UK.

Dont underestimate the reach of this criminal organisation... they are everywhere and trying to infiltrate everything. They are of course very successful in the US.. not so much in Europe so far.

For me, legitimising faith based "state" schools is the biggest mistake in UK education policy ever.

Religious "missionaries" are being attracted to the state education system like flies to horse dung now that they have the power to take over schools and proselytise to our kids on the public purse.

Is it time to start closing down faith schools? Yes/No?

It says these are "weekend schools". On what legal basis would the State even be able to begin closing down or regulating them?

It says these are "weekend schools". On what legal basis would the State even be able to begin closing down or regulating them?

I think that's what Ofsted are investigating - how to regulate the schools (that receive Taxpayer moeny). Currently it doesn't happen or the faith schools can opt out of the inspection regime. Where the regulations could start is in imposing inspection in return for the funding that many faith and weekend schools get from the public purse.

I can imagine some of the wealthier religions / cults (thanks Pete) could side-step this by becoming voluntary funded: certainly the Saudi Govt has enough to pay for some of the worst Islamic schools to survive without taxpayer's money.

You would be very wrong. It is estimated over 100k if not 200k in the UK alone and it is growing.

Accepted.

Back
Top Bottom