• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.K.: 'Armageddon' speech prepared for queen

Jango

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
If a nuclear war had broken out in 1983, Queen Elizabeth II would have known just what to say.

Documents released Thursday by Britain's National Archives show that in 1983, as part of an extensive war game, British officials drafted a speech to be read by the queen in the event of nuclear conflict.

The speech contrasts the fellowship inspired by the Christmas holiday a few months earlier with the war that would have been taking place.

"When I spoke to you less than three months ago we were all enjoying the warmth and fellowship of a family Christmas. Our thoughts were concentrated on the strong links that bind each generation to the ones that came before and those that will follow. The horrors of war could not have seemed more remote as my family and I shared our Christmas joy with the growing family of the Commonwealth.

Now this madness of war is once more spreading through the world and our brave country must again prepare itself to survive against great odds.

I have never forgotten the sorrow and the pride I felt as my sister and I huddled around the nursery wireless set listening to my father's inspiring words on that fateful day in 1939. Not for a single moment did I imagine that this solemn and awful duty would one day fall to me.

We all know that the dangers facing us today are greater by far than at any time in our long history. The enemy is not the soldier with his rifle nor even the airman prowling the skies above our cities and towns but the deadly power of abused technology.

But whatever terrors lie in wait for us all the qualities that have helped to keep our freedom intact twice already during this sad century will once more be our strength.

My husband and I share with families up and down the land the fear we feel for sons and daughters, husbands and brothers who have left our side to serve their country. My beloved son Andrew is at this moment in action with his unit and we pray continually for his safety and for the safety of all servicemen and women at home and overseas.

It is this close bond of family life that must be our greatest defence against the unknown. If families remain united and resolute, giving shelter to those living alone and unprotected, our country's will to survive cannot be broken.

My message to you therefore is simple. Help those who cannot help themselves, give comfort to the lonely and the homeless and let your family become the focus of hope and life to those who need it.

As we strive together to fight off the new evil let us pray for our country and men of goodwill wherever they may be.

God bless you all."

USA TODAY

I'm glad the Queen did not have to deliver that speech!

Read about this last night! Crazy to think about that especially if you grew up in the post cold war era like myself.

All leaders have that speach in one form or another. Obama's will sound like a campaign speech. But it is prepared.

All leaders have that speach in one form or another. Obama's will sound like a campaign speech. But it is prepared.

I'd hate to hear to it, you know?

I think this whole story is a straw man. :peace

Typical Summer-time story for a slow newsday. If you read it, there is really very little of substance there.

Lulz. The time it would take her to finish would be half the time we have left.

Back
Top Bottom