• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Typhoon Talim hits China - 800, 000 evacuated

vergiss

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
http://www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/region.php?id=119607&region=2

TYPHOON SLAMS INTO CHINA

Typhoon Talim slammed into southern China late Thursday after barrelling across the island of Taiwan, felling billboards and trees and smashing windows.

Hellish scenes of damage and chaos wrecked the east coast, as overwhelmed authorities evacuated more than 790,000 people.

Talim, packing winds of up to 185 kilometres per hour, was forecast to be the strongest storm to hit China this season.

However, winds did not appear as strong as they were in Taiwan where three people have died and dozens have been injured.

Two men drowned in southern Taiwan and northern Miaoli region while a 60 year old woman was hit by lightning in the southern Changhua region, the National Fire Agency said.

Among those injured were eight prisoners and a policeman, hurt when their van rammed a crash barrier.

Talim is "probably the strongest typhoon China will experience in terms of wind this summer," said National Meteorological Centre expert Zhang Ling.

The China Meteorological Association said the storm made landfall at Putian city in Fujian late Thursday afternoon, bringing torrential rain and strong winds.

State Television showed rising seas off the coast of Fujian as rain hammered coastal roads.

Nearly 500,000 people have been evacuated in Fujian and another 291,000 from neighbouring Zhejian province, according to local officials, while more than 29,000 ships and fishing vessels had taken shelter in harbours.

Authorities predicted Talim would reach shore in the afternoon or evening between the Fujian cities of Lianjiang and Jinjiang, about 750 kilometres south of Beijing. Calls to the Fujian observatory and anti-flooding office rang unanswered Thursday.

Authorities issued a top-level "black alarm", as offices, schools and financial markets closed in Taiwan, all domestic flights were cancelled and many trains and international air services are delayed.

Most air and land traffic returned to normal later, but weather experts predict that strong winds and rains will continue in central and southern areas.

Electricity was cut to 1.7 million homes but most were reconnected.

In the capital, where the rain and winds were less severe than elsewhere, bars, karaoke lounges and restaurants were crowded as people took advantage of the national holiday declared till Monday as a result of Talim.

Typhoons frequently hit Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines, Hong Kong and southern China during the storm season that lasts from early summer to late autumn.

Talk about old news.

Talim hit us in Taiwan this past Thursday. It was far stronger when it hit Taiwan (almost as strong as Katrina) than when it hit China (when it was barely typhoon strength).

Why did no one in the West hear much about it? :confused:

Well the whole world knows that China has a better leader then we do and I guess he didn't stay on V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N like bush did when a national disaster hits.

taxpayer said:
Well the whole world knows that China has a better leader then we do and I guess he didn't stay on V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N like bush did when a national disaster hits.

And if you HONESTLY believe Hu is a better and more humane leader than Bush, I have beachfront property in TIBET to sell you!

ludahai said:
And if you HONESTLY believe Hu is a better and more humane leader than Bush, I have beachfront property in TIBET to sell you!

He doesn't believe that. He's just lashing out like he has been for days over this.

I didn't hear about this at all... likely due to it not being in the West. Is there a huge death toll? Maybe thats why no one heard about it. Katrina blew over any news about this typhoon. Sorry.

ludahai said:
lol

Sometimes the only word to describe some Americans is “ignorant”.

taxpayer said:
Well the whole world knows that China has a better leader then we do

Really? Define better and state who you mean by the world.

and I guess he didn't stay on V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N

So you believe that when Bush is at his home he stops working? Who told you that silly notion?

like bush did when a national disaster hits.

It was Bush who called Nagin and Blanco and told them they needed to issue evacuation orders. Some V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N.

KevinWan said:
I didn't hear about this at all... likely due to it not being in the West. Is there a huge death toll? Maybe thats why no one heard about it. Katrina blew over any news about this typhoon. Sorry.

The last I heard, 3 died in Taiwan and 95 in China.

GPS_Flex said:
lol

I am really ignorant about China?!?!? I lived there for two years, I speak the language and I did my senior thesis on China's political economic development. Are you calling me ignorant about China?!?!?

ludahai said:

And if YOU believe Bush is better than I have a BRIDGE to sell you!

Stinger said:
Really? Define better and state who you mean by the world.

It was Bush who called Nagin and Blanco and told them they needed to issue evacuation orders. Some V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N.

Hey! YO! Yo!
Did Bush call the Gov and Mayor of New York and tell them that they needed to issue evacuation orders?

GPS_Flex said:
lol

If the shoe fits then wear it!

taxpayer said:
Hey! YO! Yo!
Did Bush call the Gov and Mayor of New York and tell them that they needed to issue evacuation orders?

9/11 was entirely different from Hurricane Katrina.

1. Katrina was forecast 36-48 hours in advance. Bush had to BEG the governor of LA and mayor of NO to issue the evacuation orders. Even then, they did it in a half assed way.

There was NO warning for 9/11 and unlike the state and local leaders in LA, Mayor Giuliani and Gov. Petaki took charge of the situation, as is their responsibility.

You are just engaged in another anti-Bush tirade with no facts to back up your ideology of hate.

taxpayer said:
And if YOU believe Bush is better than I have a BRIDGE to sell you!

So, you would take an unelected tyrant guilty of gross human rights abuses, sending political prisoners to laogai in Qinghai (China's Siberia), persecution of Falungong, Catholicism, and other religions, etc. over a democratically elected president?

Why don't you take your anti-American ideology of hate and take it to a Communist "paradise" and see how much criticism of Hu you can get away with in China?!?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom