• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TX Pro-Lifer Pushing Death Penalty for Abortion

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
You can't make this stuff up.

A Texas lawmaker has filed a bill that would abolish and criminalize abortions, leaving women and physicians who perform the procedure to face criminal charges that could carry the death penalty.

The legislation, filed Tuesday by state Rep. Bryan Slaton, does not include exceptions for rape or incest. It does exempt ectopic pregnancies that seriously threaten the life of the woman “when a reasonable alternative to save the lives of both the mother and the unborn child is unavailable.”
The measure is likely to fail, as others have before it, but it does go to show the crazy we all face, if we let down our guard for even one brief moment.
More:
Under the bill filed Tuesday, women who receive an abortion and physicians who perform the procedure could be charged with assault or homicide, which is punishable by death in Texas, confirmed Shannon Edmonds, a staff attorney with the Texas District and County Attorneys Association. The association does not have a position on the bill.

The question is: Will this bit of nonsensical political theater hurt Republican chances in coming elections, or help them?

Seems Biden won on a moderate ticket and Trump lost on an extremist ticket. I don't see this changing in the coming years. If anything, I think America is becoming more moderate as a whole. The Trump double-down failed in 2020 even with all the cards in his favor and I think it is only going to keep failing.

The question is: Will this bit of nonsensical political theater hurt Republican chances in coming elections, or help them?

Seems Biden won on a moderate ticket and Trump lost on an extremist ticket. I don't see this changing in the coming years. If anything, I think America is becoming more moderate as a whole. The Trump double-down failed in 2020 and I think it is only going to keep failing.
I would hope most Americans see the absurdity in the Right Wing idea of killing people in the effort to save fetuses.

Crazy, but at least this time they're holding women responsible too. Usually its just the doctor they go after, when there wouldn't be an abortion if the woman didn't request it.

Crazy, but at least this time they're holding women responsible too. Usually its just the doctor they go after, when there wouldn't be an abortion if the woman didn't request it.
Usually they are smart enough to avoid doing that. But, what little there was left for brains in the GOP exited the building not too long ago.

I would hope most Americans see the absurdity in the Right Wing idea of killing people in the effort to save fetuses.

They do. It is nothing more than a stunt to plant the seeds of dissent into the more extreme wing of the Republican party (which contains an absolutely essential demographic for Republicans) for future election campaign fodder.

And there wouldn't be an abortion if the man had kept it in his pants. It is the woman's decision, period.

Usually they are smart enough to avoid doing that. But, brains left the GOP
And there wouldn't be an abortion if the man had kept it in his pants. It is the woman's decision, period.

Of course. My point was that they usually go after just the doctors, which is bullshit IMO. You're going to hold the dr responsible, but not the person that requested the abortion? (For the record, I'm very pro choice)

You can't make this stuff up.

The measure is likely to fail, as others have before it, but it does go to show the crazy we all face, if we let down our guard for even one brief moment.
More:

There were several of these in 2018/2019. Any states that tried to criminalize a woman having an abortion failed. Not a single one was enacted. The ones that were adjudicated in the higher courts were all found unconstitutional.

There's no way under the Const to criminalize 'having' an abortion. The procedure can be restricted "somewhat" but if a woman uses pills, it cant be criminalized. Goes to a state where legal? Cant be arrested (well she could be but the charges would fail. But think about it...how would 'the state' know?)

All the woman did was ask for it. The doctor killed her blastocyst/embryo/fetus. So it makes sense that they would go after the doctor but not the woman.

Well, except it does not make sens to ban doctors from doing abortions. They do it because women need their pregnancies to end. It is a problem-solving service and medical treatment.

All the woman did was ask for it. The doctor killed her blastocyst/embryo/fetus. So it makes sense that they would go after the doctor but not the woman.

Well, except it does not make sens to ban doctors from doing abortions. They do it because women need their pregnancies to end. It is a problem-solving service and medical treatment.

Lol, yep. I wonder how well it would work to go after a hit man, but ignore that someone requested and paid for that hit job

My motto on this subject is, "Never punish the mom for what the dad did."

LOL Yep. I wonder how well it would work to go after a hit man, but ignore that someone requested and paid for that hit job.

That is a totally different type of killing. Before a human being is born, it is legal. After a human being is born, killing is murder.

That is a totally different type of killing. Before a human being is born, it is legal. After a human being is born, killing is murder.

Well, WE know that. The crazies putting up this type of legislations don't seem to get it.

You really have to appreciate the irony of the "pro-life" extremists calling for executions.

I have pointed this out many times. You cannot be "pro-life" and support the death penalty because the latter is wanting someone to be killed.

You really have to appreciate the irony of the "pro-life" extremists calling for executions.
And yet, their excuse is, "it's an innocent life!"

It's not 'innocent' of anything, it cant be innocent or guilty :rolleyes: It cant act, it cant even form intent. It's the 'innocence' of a vacuum, emptiness. It's no different than the 'innocence' of a flower or a couch. It's a meaningless 'innocence'.

None have ever been able to explain to me why they value this meaningless vacuum of 'innocence' more than the woman and her life and health and all her responsibilities to others in her life, like kids, family, church, employer, community, society, etc.

Seems Biden won on a moderate ticket and Trump lost on an extremist ticket. I don't see this changing in the coming years. If anything, I think America is becoming more moderate as a whole. The Trump double-down failed in 2020 even with all the cards in his favor and I think it is only going to keep failing.
Little to no doubt in my mind, future generations will become more progressive, not more conservative. One example I read about a few days ago: whereas the current number of non-religious people has held fairly steady at 5-7% for generations and generations, if one believes the stats I saw is that 12-14% of Generation Zers are non-religious; which really doesn't surprise me at all.

Reactions: lwf
Of the 11 so-called gestational bans -- which bar abortions past a certain point in pregnancy -- passed since the start of 2019, none have gone into effect after most of them have been blocked by judges. Those include a similar near-total abortion ban passed in Alabama in 2019 and an 18-week bill passed by Arkansas in 2019.

Of the 11 so-called gestational bans -- which bar abortions past a certain point in pregnancy -- passed since the start of 2019, none have gone into effect after most of them have been blocked by judges. Those include a similar near-total abortion ban passed in Alabama in 2019 and an 18-week bill passed by Arkansas in 2019.

Alabama and Arkansas....places where the average IQ is in the 80's and the Senators are even dumber than the football players.

Of course. My point was that they usually go after just the doctors, which is bullshit IMO. You're going to hold the dr responsible, but not the person that requested the abortion? (For the record, I'm very pro choice)
Don't give an inch in any circumstance. The opposing side is willing to do anything to take the decision out of woman's hands, but unwilling to do anything to help make raising a child any easier.

Back
Top Bottom