• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two vastly different views of an expensive home

Being part of a democracy means we are all in this together. We can have differences , but we agree to work as a whole unit for the good of everyone. We have tacitly agreed that as a democracy we abide by the legal decisions which received the majority of votes. We support the projects and programs that benefit groups that we may not belong to with the understanding that others will contribute to what we need.

I live in the high desert of Oregon, flooding isn't one of our problem. We don't need levees or flood control but my taxes go to help those who need them. The farms that prosper along the Mississippi because of the levees don't need wild-fire protection but those taxpayers help pay for the smoke jumpers and the Hot Shot crews that we need when we can't put out a 50,000acre fire.

Nobody is being generous with other people's money. We are are supporting each other with our money. That's what real patriots do.

Part of being a democracy means we get to vote. No more and no less. (and yes Tennessee, along the Mississippi, needs wildfire protection)

Wealth redistribution is just that. levees as you mention are infrastructure projects. Because someone has a BMW and someone else takes the bus does that mean government will force the Beemer owner to give to the bus rider? Rather have the bus rider have the opportunity to advance to one day have a malibu.

Tax payers have subsidized the roads for the BMW and the bus system for the wage worker. Both have access to transportation. Who has suggested that the BMW owner has to give his BMW to a wage worker. Democracy has never been about equality of outcome. It has been about equal opportunity. You do understand the difference?

Part of being a democracy means we get to vote. No more and no less. (and yes Tennessee, along the Mississippi, needs wildfire protection)

Yes we get to vote and we have agreed that in a democracy we accept what most people want. Most of us can do that like adults without whining like 3 year olds about bus travelers demanding their BMW. Yes, Tennessee may need wild fire protection and Oregon will send the Hot Shots. If the snow pack melts too quickly we may need help from those in TN than can build levees quickly. It's written down for us on the Great Seal of the United States.

Yes we get to vote and we have agreed that in a democracy we accept what most people want. Most of us can do that like adults without whining like 3 year olds about bus travelers demanding their BMW. Yes, Tennessee may need wild fire protection and Oregon will send the Hot Shots. If the snow pack melts too quickly we may need help from those in TN than can build levees quickly. It's written down for us on the Great Seal of the United States.

Oh yes the great seal. Canada and Cuba are closer to me than you are. You might as well be another country as far as I am concerned. Build your own levees.

Tax payers have subsidized the roads for the BMW and the bus system for the wage worker. Both have access to transportation. Who has suggested that the BMW owner has to give his BMW to a wage worker. Democracy has never been about equality of outcome. It has been about equal opportunity. You do understand the difference?

I do, many liberals don't. They want equality of outcomes.

I do, many liberals don't. They want equality of outcomes.

Could you quote one of the many liberals that have expressed the idea that the rich have to give all their luxury items to the poor, please.

Could you quote one of the many liberals that have expressed the idea that the rich have to give all their luxury items to the poor, please.

It's by taxation. Redistribution of wealth.

It's by taxation. Redistribution of wealth.

I asked you to substantiate with a quote from a liberal, stating what you claimed was true, that liberals insist that the rich are obligated to give the poor the same luxury items that they enjoy. Your statement is not a quote. And taxation in the US, has, starting in the 1970 re-distributed wealth upwards to the wealthy. You have not shown that liberals are demanding equality of out come.

Oh yes the great seal. Canada and Cuba are closer to me than you are. You might as well be another country as far as I am concerned. Build your own levees.

So, your state of (I'm guessing Tennessee) can handle all of it's own problems on it's own, you don't need any help from anyone: floods, fires, poverty, infrastructure, education, epidemics you handle it all on your own never accepting help or giving it. You red states are independent, self sufficient; the real do-it-yourself American patriots and to hell with E Pluribus Unum on our Great Seal.
Now that's funny because it's the liberal blue states that pay into the government in order to support red states. And I don't hear people in the blue states saying, "Build your own levees" when the Mississippi and the Tennessee Rivers overflow.

So, your state of (I'm guessing Tennessee) can handle all of it's own problems on it's own, you don't need any help from anyone: floods, fires, poverty, infrastructure, education, epidemics you handle it all on your own never accepting help or giving it. You red states are independent, self sufficient; the real do-it-yourself American patriots and to hell with E Pluribus Unum on our Great Seal.
Now that's funny because it's the liberal blue states that pay into the government in order to support red states. And I don't hear people in the blue states saying, "Build your own levees" when the Mississippi and the Tennessee Rivers overflow.

I live in a blue state :2wave: Build your own levees.

I asked you to substantiate with a quote from a liberal, stating what you claimed was true, that liberals insist that the rich are obligated to give the poor the same luxury items that they enjoy. Your statement is not a quote. And taxation in the US, has, starting in the 1970 re-distributed wealth upwards to the wealthy. You have not shown that liberals are demanding equality of out come.

It's wealth redistribution. what they do with it is their decision. Income inequality is leftist code for minimum wage and taxation.

If you have a big heart for the poor you can give to charity or pay more to the Treasury.

Being part of a democracy means we are all in this together. We can have differences , but we agree to work as a whole unit for the good of everyone. We have tacitly agreed that as a democracy we abide by the legal decisions which received the majority of votes. We support the projects and programs that benefit groups that we may not belong to with the understanding that others will contribute to what we need.

I live in the high desert of Oregon, flooding isn't one of our problem. We don't need levees or flood control but my taxes go to help those who need them. The farms that prosper along the Mississippi because of the levees don't need wild-fire protection but those taxpayers help pay for the smoke jumpers and the Hot Shot crews that we need when we can't put out a 50,000acre fire.

Nobody is being generous with other people's money. We are are supporting each other with our money. That's what real patriots do.

Well, the author of the post you are addressing was contextually speaking of taxing a specific group and redistributing the taxed money to lower income people. This redistribution is based on income, specifically a lack of it.

The federally funded programs you talk about is not based on income and does not redistribute tax dollars to people’s pocket or have the similar effect of doing so based on income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very informative. Now, as it relates to our discussion of a “living wage,” and using a metric to know what is a “living wage,” what from the article is germane to that dialogue? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of our current problems stem from this living wage question and what is going on. I can't discuss it right now but I'll get back to it.

Liberals have to understand that wealth re-distribution comes when EVERYONE WORKS. If you WORK you can buy a nice house.

Back
Top Bottom