• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two top prosecutors in probe of Trump Org resign from Manhattan DA’s office

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Two of the top prosecutors leading the Manhattan district attorney’s investigation into former President Donald Trump and his business have resigned, a spokeswoman for the DA’s office confirmed to CNBC.
The resignations of Carey Dunne and Mark Pomerantz came Wednesday, following a monthlong pause in the prosecutors’ presentation of evidence to a grand jury, according to The New York Times, which first reported the departures.
The resignations raised questions about the state of the DA’s probe, with some experts suggesting the proceedings have been put on ice. The Times, citing people familiar with the matter, reported that Alvin Bragg, the new Manhattan district attorney, has indicated he has doubts about continuing to build a case against Trump.

--

Hello, what's this?

If it's to be believed, there's a huge hiccup in the Trump prosecution. I suspect there's much behind the scenes going-on. What it is, I don't know. But it might be good, for Mr. Trump.

--

Hello, what's this?

If it's to be believed, there's a huge hiccup in the Trump prosecution. I suspect there's much behind the scenes going-on. What it is, I don't know. But it might be good, for Mr. Trump.
The stuff you quoted from that article tells you what is going on: "Alvin Bragg, the new Manhattan district attorney, has indicated he has doubts about continuing to build a case against Trump."

I'm predicting this witch hunt/fishing trip is over.

--

Hello, what's this?

Seems obvious they or the new DA have been paid off. Otherwise why resign?

The political theater around the case is not having the desired effect. It did it’s job and is now being put on hold only to be dusted off if the polls indicate it needs to be.

The stuff you quoted from that article tells you what is going on: "Alvin Bragg, the new Manhattan district attorney, has indicated he has doubts about continuing to build a case against Trump."

Lots of other fish in the same river. You don't have to catch the largest one, to have a successful fishing trip. Here's to gutting and frying 10 smaller ones!

Seems obvious they or the new DA have been paid off. Otherwise why resign?

I don't know if that really fits - its not like them resigning helps anyone who might being throwing money around.

I'm going to guess that from the inside, the case just wasn't as solid as Vance made it out to be.

I have no doubt that if Bragg had the opportunity to be the DA who put Trump away, he'd take it - and all signs are saying he plugged the plug.

I quoted those excerpts specifically and in that specific order, because yes - I believe they form the narrative.

The Grand Jury expires in April. So the time is short, yet the case has apparently been lain fallow.

--

Now if I had to hazard a guess, I'd hypothesize the two prosecutors had been moving forward on the case, the new DA decided to pull the rug out from under it, and the two resigned in protest.

--

I think it's possible this thing folds.

--

Hello, what's this?

Why are you guys all worried about this?

If it makes you feel any better, this is just the Manhattan investigation. The NYS investigation and congressional investigations are still full steam ahead and we all know that Trump is guilty of something or other so as long as we keep investigating we'll get there eventually. Buck up, little campers, life isn't all that bad.

I don't know if that really fits - its not like them resigning helps anyone who might being throwing money around.

I'm going to guess that from the inside, the case just wasn't as solid as Vance made it out to be.

I have no doubt that if Bragg had the opportunity to be the DA who put Trump away, he'd take it - and all signs are saying he plugged the plug.

Yep. That's what I'm thinking.

Looks like Trump walks.

If it makes you feel any better, this is just the Manhattan investigation. The NYS investigation and congressional investigations are still full steam ahead and we all know that Trump is guilty of something or other so as long as we keep investigating we'll get there eventually. Buck up, little campers, life isn't all that bad.

Why wouldn't this be news? Trump is an ex-President, and may even run again.

I don't get your question?

--

Hello, what's this?

Yep, and the question is what exactly is going on. Often this kind of thing doesn't bode well.

--

Hello, what's this?

The pattern is familiar though!
The media riles up the people about some really bad crime from Trump.... then a long time later it turns out to be lies
or an attempt to just trash trump, and then they walk away from the story!
Like the Russian collusion, Schumer's kangaroo court to impeach Trump, Trump's phone call with Raffensperger etc ....
I mean what is it ?
Trump is a moron Criminal that was unfit for office!
Or
He's an insane Genius who can commit crimes and treason against America and the REP-DEM Monopoly can not win a single case????....

At some point people will get tired of being played the fool!

--

Hello, what's this?

Wouldn't surprise me if these prosecutors were given an offer they couldn't refuse.

Is Trump, THE Victim, or are you also up there on that rather "roomy" Cross, too?

Did "the left" drive these nails through Trump's wrists?

...or perhaps, these?

February 22, 2022

February 23, 2022
"...But I believe this invasion represents the culmination of a plan not just to reassert what he imagines is Russian greatness, but also to end US hegemony, which Putin has pursued for a decade.

Ukraine has been a part of that and starting in 2010, Paul Manafort was useful to giving his puppets the patina of legitimacy. After Viktor Yanukovych’s ouster, Ukraine was useful as a testing ground for various kinds of hybrid warfare, most spectacularly with the NotPetya attack in 2018.

Ukraine — the partnership of Konstantin Kilimnik and Oleg Deripaska, along with their leverage over Paul Manafort — was also whence Russian launched its 2016 attack (I need to find the reference, but they knew they could place Manafort as campaign manager before the end of 2015). As I have written (in a piece on my understanding of the role of using the Steele dossier as a vehicle for disinformation), Russia’s interference in 2016 is best understood as a win-win. If Hillary won, Roger Stone would have rolled out the same Stop the Steal plan that was used in 2020 back in 2016 to destabilize the US in 2017 rather than 2021, as happened..."

Donald Trump's 2012 Election Tweetstorm Resurfaces as ...

https://abcnews.go.com › Politics › story
Nov 9, 2016 — In 2012, Trump called the electoral college "a disaster for a democracy."

Full Text (Photo Images) of Donald Trump Jr and Wikileaks Correspondence - Just Security

Following The Atlantic‘s Julia Ioffe ‘s scoop revealing the private correspondence between Donald Trump Jr. and Wikileaks, the President’s son released, over Twitter, the photo images of what he described as “the entire chain of messages with @wikileaks … which one of the congressional...
www.justsecurity.org
DJr3-e1510627136886.jpg

Donald Trump's blatant hypocrisy on voting by mail -

https://www.cnn.com ›
Apr 8, 2020 — During his daily coronavirus briefing on Tuesday, President Donald Trump made very clear that voting by mail -- an alternative many are ...

Last edited:
The pattern is familiar though!
The media riles up the people about some really bad crime from Trump.... then a long time later it turns out to be lies
or an attempt to just trash trump, and then they walk away from the story!
Like the Russian collusion, Schumer's kangaroo court to impeach Trump, Trump's phone call with Raffensperger etc ....
I mean what is it ?
Trump is a moron Criminal that was unfit for office!
Or
He's an insane Genius who can commit crimes and treason against America and the REP-DEM Monopoly can not win a single case????....

At some point people will get tired of being played the fool!

I can very much see how that narrative's been formed . . .

Is Trump, THE Victim, or are you also up there on that rather "roomy" Cross, too?

Did "the left" drive these nails through Trump's wrists?

The New York Times
Trump Makes New Claims About His Wealth After Accountants Drop Him
On Tuesday evening, former President Donald J. Trump, rattled by news that his longtime accountants had declared that years of his financial...
6 days ago
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwirjoaa_5b2AhUKZN8KHTBvCA0QxfQBKAB6BAgPEAI&url=https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/16/business/trump-wealth-mazars.html&usg=AOvVaw1werjguWuGiiWakG2gge36
...or perhaps, these?

February 22, 2022

February 23, 2022
"...But I believe this invasion represents the culmination of a plan not just to reassert what he imagines is Russian greatness, but also to end US hegemony, which Putin has pursued for a decade.

Ukraine has been a part of that and starting in 2010, Paul Manafort was useful to giving his puppets the patina of legitimacy. After Viktor Yanukovych’s ouster, Ukraine was useful as a testing ground for various kinds of hybrid warfare, most spectacularly with the NotPetya attack in 2018.

Ukraine — the partnership of Konstantin Kilimnik and Oleg Deripaska, along with their leverage over Paul Manafort — was also whence Russian launched its 2016 attack (I need to find the reference, but they knew they could place Manafort as campaign manager before the end of 2015). As I have written (in a piece on my understanding of the role of using the Steele dossier as a vehicle for disinformation), Russia’s interference in 2016 is best understood as a win-win. If Hillary won, Roger Stone would have rolled out the same Stop the Steal plan that was used in 2020 back in 2016 to destabilize the US in 2017 rather than 2021, as happened..."
Well now, since Trump obviously cause the Russia/Ukraine mess then we need to get congress moving on an impeachment! Hang that Trump ****er from the highest yardarm and maybe the next guy won't be so brazen in whatever it is he did to get all the world so worked up.

I can very much see how that narrative's been formed . . .
I can see how a lot of narratives are getting formed, and I don't much care any of them. I don't care if we 'get' Trump, because I don't know if there is a crime he's committed, or what evidence that DA's office has, or the practical problems in getting that evidence into a courtroom. If the crimes and the evidence lead to different prosecutions, it's still a very successful probe. Matter of fact, if there turns out there is no potential for any charges to be filed based on this probe, its still a successful probe because finding out where there is no prosecutable crime, is a success story too.

Probes of this sort are about finding answers, not finding a right answer.

I can see how a lot of narratives are getting formed, and I don't much care any of them. I don't care if we 'get' Trump, because I don't know if there is a crime he's committed, or what evidence that DA's office has, or the practical problems in getting that evidence into a courtroom. If the crimes and the evidence lead to different prosecutions, it's still a very successful probe. Matter of fact, if there turns out there is no potential for any charges to be filed based on this probe, its still a successful probe because finding out where there is no prosecutable crime, is a success story too.

Probes of this sort are about finding answers, not finding a right answer.

Yep; I agree. Thanks for a great post! 🍻

Well now, since Trump obviously cause the Russia/Ukraine mess then we need to get congress moving on an impeachment! Hang that Trump ****er from the highest yardarm and maybe the next guy won't be so brazen in whatever it is he did to get all the world so worked up.

Are you residing under a rock. or perhaps, in "a cardboard box, down by the river"?

Your reflexive, "victim posture," is unnerving, creepy, if originating merely from involuntary attraction to authority, much more troubling
if it is well thought out.

March 22, 2017

“We are now of the belief that this model can greatly benefit the Putin Government if employed at the correct levels with the appropriate commitment to success,” Manafort wrote in the 2005 memo to Deripaska. The effort, Manafort wrote, “will be offering a great service that can re-focus, both internally and externally, the policies of the Putin government.”

From 'the Count' to inmate: The fall of former Trump campaign ...

https://www.chicagotribune.com › nation-world › ct-pa...
Jun 15, 2018 — "You know, Paul Manafort worked for me for a very short period of time," Trump said, before ticking off other Republican presidential nominees ...

"Manafort has nothing to do with our campaign. I'll tell you, I feel a little badly about it. They went back 12 years to get things that he did 12 years ago? ".... He worked for me, what, for 49 days or something? A very short period of time."

New round of Trump clemency benefits Manafort, other allies

https://apnews.com › article › joe-biden-donald-trump-...
Dec 24, 2020 — WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Wednesday pardoned more than two dozen people, including former campaign chairman Paul Manafort ...

"....Trump circle’s attempts to minimize connections

When it started to become clear that Manafort was likely in serious legal jeopardy, the White House pushed the idea that his role on the campaign was minimal. ..Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary at the time, said Manafort was someone “who played a very limited role for a very limited amount of time” during the presidential campaign. Another campaign aide told Politico in May that he “wasn’t part of the core campaign team,” and that Trump and Manafort “didn’t have a relationship” until Tom Barrack, a real estate investor and close friend of Trump’s and Manafort’s for several decades, recommended that Trump allow him to join the team as a volunteer. Roger Stone, Trump’s longtime political adviser, also recommended Trump hire Manafort.
The Trump team has also downplayed how well the president and Manafort knew each other before the 2016 campaign. Manafort himself has said, “Donald Trump and I had some business in the 1980s but we had no relationship until the Trump campaign called me.”

Trump and Manafort’s History Together

...but it’s clear Trump and Manafort have been operating in close circles for decades. In 1980, Manafort, Charles Black and Roger Stone (all Ronald Reagan campaign officials) opened a lobbying shop in Washington, D.C. One of their very first clients: Donald Trump, who employed the lobbying firm of Black, Manafort & Stone through the early 1990s.

Plus, both men have mutual close friends, including Barrack and Stone, whom Manafort and Trump have been friends with for decades. Both Manafort and Trump were active in the New Jersey political scene in the 1980s, and later, both men were involved in lobbying Capitol Hill on Indian gaming issues. Since 2006, Manafort has owned a condo in Trump Tower in Manhattan, and around the same time, became involved in the Manhattan real estate scene. ..."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom