• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two-thirds would struggle to cover $1,000 emergency...

I dont know how this is a liberal or conservative thing...but the absolute reality is that MANY individuals from both sides of the aisle have ****ed up values when it comes to money. People 'cant' afford healthcare and food...but they can afford cell phones, internet, video games, big screens, wifi, cable, tattoos, drugs and alcohol, etc. Nothing in the world wrong with having all the niceties. But the necessities should come first always. Most people COULD put away money for emergencies and have an emergency fund in 3-4 months...if they cut out all the unnecessary frivolities

Except that the key to growing any economy is to increase the amount of disposable income that consumers have.

I would find little quality of life in worrying about next months bills each and every month.

With the current economy, there are millions of people who do that whether they can save or not. You think that Wal-Mart cashier can afford to put back $1000? She worries about putting food on the table each and every week.

With the current economy, there are millions of people who do that whether they can save or not. You think that Wal-Mart cashier can afford to put back $1000? She worries about putting food on the table each and every week.

Actually, she may have to depend on food stamps to do that.

Which means, in effect, that Walmart is leeching off the government so its own employees can merely survive. Oh, the irony...

People "do things" now for entertainment. I think they've forgotten how to sit down with family and friends, visit, maybe play a game of cards.

Again, it all depends on what you consider to be 'quality'. There also used to be a time when we all knew who our neighbors were. Today? Not so much.

This is nothing new, economy could be roaring and good jobs plentiful and you'd still find that 2/3 live at or beyond their means.

Yes indeed!

Possibly, but a weak economy based on McJobs isn't going to help anyone save for a rainy day, is it?

None of my 5 kids every worked at those kind of jobs, they just got educated and got good jobs.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of that 66% spend over $1000 a year on cable and cell phone...

A high percentage I'd say.......gotta have what all the other lemmings have!

Nope, people are incapable of doing with less.

Greed and Envy rules America!

Yep...

And Mickey's celebration over suffering Americans continues!

Stop lying about what you think I'm doing! I'm just very happy that I have never allowed myself to be deep in debt. I could teach the Federal govt. how to budget.

Sure. Never mind that all the jobs they've learned how to work at are now in China and Mexico. :lamo

Until these effed up "free trade" policies are cleaned up, this emergency will remain permanent and those funds will run out.

Not all jobs.
The Gun Industry is thriving big time. 1,000s of Americans employed in manufacturing, sales, distribution and spin-off businesses.

10s of thousands are employed in police service, local state and Federal, and all the other Emergency Services fields.

Except for low paying jobs, where it is difficult to pay rent on a modest apartment, and basic foodstuffs it is not hard.

People just have to limit their wants and purchases.

Cut cable to the basics, get one cell phone for the family rather then 4. Getting one older car, rather then two new cars

There are plenty of ways for middle class income people to save money, provided they would be willing to cutting spending

You are correct. Cutting spending is key to most of it...from the Federal Govt. to the lowliest peon.

I refuse to have cable or dish...I've been using an antennae on the roof...all my life. We have one prepaid cell phone for emergency use when traveling out of town, usually turned off and in a drawer.
We don't make a bunch of frivolous trips in the car, for lattes and such. We don't patronize Star Bucks, Dutch Bros. or any place like them.
I can come up with a 1,000 or more ways to cut spending.....it's kinda fun. ;)..........it's a way of life.

Last edited:
Actually, she may have to depend on food stamps to do that.

Which means, in effect, that Walmart is leeching off the government so its own employees can merely survive. Oh, the irony...

It's not Wal-Mart's fault. There are no jobs that are a step up. They've all gone to China, Mexico and India.

That is seriously pathetic!

I was there once upon a time 40 years ago, with a new family, new low paying job and child support from a previous marriage. But that was only for 2 years or so out of 50+ years in the work force.

Mickey...you are very much a "I've got mine; screw you" type of guy.

It makes sense to identify yourself as a conservative. That is the core of American conservatism.

It's not Wal-Mart's fault. There are no jobs that are a step up. They've all gone to China, Mexico and India.

Technically not: some employers (like Walmart) would never pay a living wage if they aren't required to. And for that we can indeed blame the government for giving such people a pass.

Yes indeed!

None of my 5 kids every worked at those kind of jobs, they just got educated and got good jobs.

A high percentage I'd say.......gotta have what all the other lemmings have!

Greed and Envy rules America!

Yep...

Stop lying about what you think I'm doing! I'm just very happy that I have never allowed my self to be deep in debt. I could teach the Federal govt. how to budget.

Not all jobs.
The Gun Industry is thriving big time. 1,000s of Americans employed in manufacturing, sales, distribution and spin-off businesses. Even the food service industry.

10s of thousands are employed in police service, local state and Federal, and all the other Emergency Services fields.

1 Wal-Mart Stores 2,200,000
2 McDonald's (franchise) 420,000
3 International Business Machines 412,775
4 Kroger 400,000
5 The Home Depot 371,000
6 Target 347,000
7 United Parcel Service 336,150
8 Berkshire Hathaway 316,000
9 General Electric 305,000
10 Yum! Brands 303,405

Most jobs in America are service jobs. These jobs are low wage jobs as a general rule. Many people who work these jobs can't afford to send their kids to college. Thus, their kids work these jobs too. On and on it goes.

Mickey...you are very much a "I've got mine; screw you" type of guy.

It makes sense to identify yourself as a conservative. That is the core of American conservatism.

What would you alternative be? Not a slam, just a question. Not all Americans can be as lucky or prepared as Mickey....what would YOU do to help those people?

Except that the key to growing any economy is to increase the amount of disposable income that consumers have.
They key to personal success and survival is responsibility. Its nice you want to save the economy but before you pay for your cable and phone bill you should probably have groceries in your home.

Technically not: some employers (like Walmart) would never pay a living wage if they aren't required to. And for that we can indeed blame the government for giving such people a pass.

Here's the problem, DD. These Wal-Mart jobs were never designed to provide a 'living wage'. Most of them are entry-level, part-time jobs. There were meant to give kids a brush with work experience and the work ethic as they move up the ladder to bigger and better things. They were meant to be supplemental jobs for the two earner families. While Dad (or Mom) brought home the bacon, the Wal-Mart person would bring in a little extra. Mad money, if you will.

But the problem is that the secondary and tertiary jobs that the kids were supposed to move up into...disappeared. So, once you get that Wal-Mart or McDonald's job,you're stuck there as the opportunity to advance (in the form of a better wage job) eludes you. People like you say that Wal-Mart should pay more. But I think that it would be MUCH, MUCH better if we could find a way to create better jobs.

We don't do that. If we don't have cash to spend, we don't get it. Obviously, the exceptions are on large ticket items, but otherwise, I don't use credit cards, it all comes out of my bank account.
I'm sorry, but you clearly are lying. It's impossible in this day and age to exercise fiscal restraint or act like a financial adult. Because trade.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

What would you alternative be? Not a slam, just a question. Not all Americans can be as lucky or prepared as Mickey....what would YOU do to help those people?

I want government to find a way to help "those people."

"Those people" ARE US! We are them.

We all have problems with unexpected emergencies...even the Mickey's of the world.

We can...and should...create and expand safety net programs to insure that NO PERSON ever has to worry about basic necessities like food, clothing, shelter, education, communication, and medical care...which would eliminate the need to worry about a sudden, unexpected emergency.

They key to personal success and survival is responsibility. Its nice you want to save the economy but before you pay for your cable and phone bill you should probably have groceries in your home.

If people at the top acted responsibly, the masses would have both without needing to turn to debt.

Here's the problem, DD. These Wal-Mart jobs were never designed to provide a 'living wage'. Most of them are entry-level, part-time jobs. There were meant to give kids a brush with work experience and the work ethic as they move up the ladder to bigger and better things. They were meant to be supplemental jobs for the two earner families. While Dad (or Mom) brought home the bacon, the Wal-Mart person would bring in a little extra. Mad money, if you will.

But the problem is that the secondary and tertiary jobs that the kids were supposed to move up into...disappeared. So, once you get that Wal-Mart or McDonald's job,you're stuck there as the opportunity to advance (in the form of a better wage job) eludes you. People like you say that Wal-Mart should pay more. But I think that it would be MUCH, MUCH better if we could find a way to create better jobs.

Money for nothing, and your chicks for free.

Entitlement.

We've been led to believe a decent quality of life = spending money. It's really not true.

Americans were sold a bill of goods with the idea of keeping up with the Jones's. Nobody needs to compete. Buy what you need, get what you can afford and be happy. It really isn't that hard.

Wal-Mart pays a living wage to management. But is a bagger or cashier worth $15.00 an hour? Or more?

Hardly.

I'm sorry, but you clearly are lying. It's impossible in this day and age to exercise fiscal restraint or act like a financial adult. Because trade.

That's what the liberals want you to think.

How is pointing it out 'celebrating'?

Exactly. He's just jealous that I can out thrift him and do it smarter!

I use my credit card for the vast majority of purchases, I don't pay any fees on it, and get some cash back on it. But it is paid every month so I do not have any interest charges. I also only have the one, so I can keep track of what I am spending very easily.

My mother could not save money and still does not. If I am not saving 1500 a month over and above my what is being saved for retirement then start to panic.

I don't use my one CC like I use to, I pay cash for most purchases now or write checks and mail them or take them to the people in person.

I do nothing financially online.

We've been led to believe a decent quality of life = spending money. It's really not true.

Correct!

Perhaps you should pose that question to Mickey. He might say something like, "It is carte blanche to bash Obama!" but without the carte blanche part.

Perhaps you just need to stick with the OP and stop making it Off Topic...about me! ;)

And yet, that same 2/3rds have a 50-inch flat screen, a PS4, and a rockin' sound system in their car.

Crazy huh?

Forget "decent;" a roof over your head doesn't come cheap anymore.

All depends on where you are at.....many parts of the country are still very affordable!

Perhaps, but the occasional weekend 'down to the coast' costs money. So does the occasional six-pack, and the occasional trip to a theme park, concert or sporting event. And ofttimes, quality of life takes a front seat.

Quality of life for me is getting on one of my many motorcycles and taking a ride through God's country....at 55 mpg.

Depends on income level, and of course size of family (and where you live).

If people would go back to how they were living just in the 90s' when it comes to personal electronics and the monthly fees associated with them, I expect a lot of families could cut spending by $200 a month

Cell phone plans, internet plan, cable plan, Netflix and so on. Cut to a lower level of expenses

I pretty much live how I lived in the 70s....except for a microwave, flat screen TV(gift from son) and newer cars(all paid for) with a host of electronic gadgets on them.
And except for all the stuff that I own, stored away....

Last edited:
Wal-Mart pays a living wage to management. But is a bagger or cashier worth $15.00 an hour? Or more?

Hardly.

And there's the problem: a strict reliance on the free market creates a huge underclass such as what we saw at the start of the industrial revolution.

Alternative headline: Approximately 66% of Americans Are Financial Idiots.

FFS. Emergency Funds, people. This isn't that difficult.

What would one expect? I'm surprised that 1/3 can cough up that kind of money with close to half of working age Americans not paying federal income taxes.

Back
Top Bottom