• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two-thirds of Canadians support use of Emergencies Act and want Freedom Convoy cleared out

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

OTTAWA – Two-thirds of Canadians support Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s decision to invoke the Emergencies Act and believe it’s time to clear out Freedom Convoy protesters in Ottawa, even if people get hurt in the process, reveals a new poll.

But neither the federal Liberals nor any other level of government should take this as a sign of support for their management of the blockades, as a slim majority of Canadians (54 per cent) say they are “ashamed” of how politicians have let the protests get out of hand, according to data collected by Maru Public Opinion.

It appears, per this poll, that Canadians are mostly behind using this law to clear out the truckers and that people wanted them out more quickly.

My personal observation is that most of the people freaking out about the Canadian government's response are from the USA and not from Canada.

This is the most recent poll I can find on the topic, if anyone can link to something newer, I would love to see it.

1/6 happened because it had considerable Trump cult support and those Capitol attackers thought they could pull it off and get away with it. They pulled of the attack without achieving the goal of killing Pence and Pelosi, and perhaps whomever else they found while searching the Capitol, so they did get far. Mostly because of a poor response to the attack on the Capitol. Most 1/6 attackers are getting away with slaps on the wrist (non or suspended sentences) and minimum sentences, so far, so there is a lot of "getting away with it". It remains to be seen if those charged with sedition will get away with very much.

Ottawa has been a more long-term success at shutting down trade and ruining businesses because of US RW support and latent govt response. What law enforcement is doing now could have been done much earlier as the situation was the same since, practically, the beginning. There have been over 100 arrests, mostly for assaulting officers breaking up the blockade. We'll see what happens to those arrested.

With both 1/6 and Ottawa, it remains to be seen just how many more will be arrested and what will be any charges, convictions and punishment. It also remains to be seen politically deep all this goes, for both 1/6 and Ottawa, on the US side.

Most Canadians agree with the invocation of the EA but are unsupportive of political leadership. Pretty much reflective of the Canadians posting on this forum.

OTTAWA – Two-thirds of Canadians support Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s decision to invoke the Emergencies Act and believe it’s time to clear out Freedom Convoy protesters in Ottawa, even if people get hurt in the process, reveals a new poll.

But neither the federal Liberals nor any other level of government should take this as a sign of support for their management of the blockades, as a slim majority of Canadians (54 per cent) say they are “ashamed” of how politicians have let the protests get out of hand, according to data collected by Maru Public Opinion.

It appears, per this poll, that Canadians are mostly behind using this law to clear out the truckers and that people wanted them out more quickly.

My personal observation is that most of the people freaking out about the Canadian government's response are from the USA and not from Canada.

This is the most recent poll I can find on the topic, if anyone can link to something newer, I would love to see it.
Support for this is high
IMHO this turd was left at Trudeau's door step
3 Provinces with blockades did nothing
Quebec, sent a strong message, and did not have the blockades that others had, cities and border crossings to the US shut down

Quebec has 33 border crossings, and not 1 as far as I know were blockaded.

AB, Ont,MB,AB Premiers did squat, all for easily discerned reasons.

Yet now we hear from the RW, that the majority of Premiers could address the problems. Well that evidence is basically crap

Failure by Provinces and City police forces to act lead to the turd at the door

I support the EA
But, and I am far from alone on this, I want a damned deep and public dive, investigated, a mandatory investigation, required in the law, I want answers as to why Canada reached the point where an EA was required

I do not want to see the average truckers lose their ability to work.
The Federal Govt seizure of a persons bank accounts is required to be issued in the courts

Canada's Police / Crown Prosecutors cannot be seen as vindictive, while I am pissed at the protesters, I live in a progressive country and do not want our officials to act in any way that is seen to be vindictive.

If the above is seen to be punitive & vindictive. if these are the actions of the Feds, going after the average schmuck, public opinion will change in a heart beat

That would make another hot potato for Trudeau to handle, and I hope they do not go this way

The protest leadership, well they are truly ****ed. Every one and their dog will be suing them

Now as to the average schmuck, in Ottawa, residents and those involved in the 300 Mil civil suit have and continue to add to the list of sued
Makes it much easier when he Crown files the charges in court

Many of these protesters will receive the peoples will thru the civil courts.

Nice that all are thru the Courts, and that their have been challenges, which I support, and some will end up in our Supreme Court

No doubt those with assets are busy hiding them

@JANFU Well said. I agree with all said but I particularly agree with this "I support the EA
But, and I am far from alone on this, I want a damned deep and public dive, investigated, a mandatory investigation, required in the law, I want answers as to why Canada reached the point where an EA was required".

I also don't want any assets of the regular protesters frozen or taken however, I don't think the same of the organizers. I think there should be a thorough investigation of exactly where the money came from to finance this AND what they, did or planned to do, with funds raised online. People who donated to this did so in good faith that they were helping the truckers directly. If that is not the case it needs to be exposed.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the vote today. I honestly have no idea how it will go. My gut tells me it will pass because there is so much public support. I also can't imagine that the Conservatives would want something like this to force an election while they are leaderless......but who knows.

I have some sympathy for the authorities (and contempt for the protesters methods) since even though there is general support for removing the trucks in theory, I don't there is any way of actually doing that without triggering a violent response from at least some of the protestors and generating some imagery which would inevitable manipulated, spun and propagated against the authorities rather than against the protesters.

These truckers broke the #1 cultural taboo in Canadian culture: they were impolite and inconsiderate. I don't think many Americans realize how shocking that is to most Canadians.

Back
Top Bottom