• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two problems. One solution.

I said:

:The employers need people now

We can grow the economy."

To which you replied: "Nah, I'd much rather stop paying the people to sit home so THEY can go back to work."

I didn't make that up.
Nope, you didn't but then you made a jump to conclude what I said with your own words of "you don't want to grow the economy?"
That was you.

You should have the workers that are currently being paid to stay home go back to the jobs they had or find others FIRST and then we can talk about immigrants taking others.

Pay more.
He is.

As are most employers. Unemployment is low.

The USA has always used immigrant labor. That is the American way.

Your ancestors came here like that as did mine.

Nope, you didn't but then you made a jump to conclude what I said with your own words of "you don't want to grow the economy?"
That was you.

You should have the workers that are currently being paid to stay home go back to the jobs they had or find others FIRST and then we can talk about immigrants taking others.
Right. Read the exchange.

I said we can grow the economy.....

You said "nah....."

I didn't put those words in your mouth.

I have a feeling if the immigrants trying to get in to work were white people from Northern Europe, Australia etc. Many of the people objecting wouldn't be so bothered by the idea.

I suspect you're right, but that's not the whole issue by any means. For example, Britain objected hugely to Syrian immigrants, but it wasn't because of dark skin.

I suspect you're right, but that's not the whole issue by any means. For example, Britain objected hugely to Syrian immigrants, but it wasn't because of dark skin.
Sure. Nothing is ever that simple, or "black and white" so to speak.

Apparently we have a labor shortage. People I know personally are having a hard time hiring people, and I hear the stories on the news about it too.

Meanwhile, we've got tens of thousands of people desperately trying to come to our country and work.

Common sense solution:

Let them in, start processing them, and give them work permits.

It's just common sense.

It's not a great solution if the employers are looking for experienced help with no time to train everybody. There's also going to be a language barrier.

It's not a great solution if the employers are looking for experienced help with no time to train everybody. There's also going to be a language barrier.
It's the low end jobs that employers are having the hardest time filling.

The experience comes with work.

If we had near zero unemployed Americans, I would support your solution...depending upon the fine print, of course.
Around 5% unemployment is generally considered "full employment."

Since it's normal to have a small, fluctuating amount of people out of work for various reasons.

It's the low end jobs that employers are having the hardest time filling.

The experience comes with work.
It does, but the language does not.
That would be a big barrier in any customer service, service industry job and those seem to be the ones hurting the most to find workers.

Since it's normal to have a small, fluctuating amount of people out of work for various reasons.
Do you think that we are there or is it "cherry picking who to count" accounting that shows us that?

If it takes a fifth or sixth time for you to understand what I wrote, Yes.
I understand it fully.

I quoted in fully in 24.

Review if you need to.

It does, but the language does not.
That would be a big barrier in any customer service, service industry job and those seem to be the ones hurting the most to find workers.
Most low end jobs don't require great language skills and throughout American History those jobs have been occupied by first generation immigrants who don't speak the language.

Apparently we have a labor shortage. People I know personally are having a hard time hiring people, and I hear the stories on the news about it too.

Meanwhile, we've got tens of thousands of people desperately trying to come to our country and work.

Common sense solution:

It's just common sense.
I agree. We need human capital to compete with China. It's in our interest to accrue as much of it as we can, as quickly as we can.

I agree. We need human capital to compete with China. It's in our interest to accrue as much of it as we can, as quickly as we can.
Exactly.

The USA has always relied on new immigrants......we are literally a nation of immigrants.

That doesn't change my comment.

I believe below 4% is more generally seen as 'full employment'. Around 4% seems to be the low limit in many western nations where getting any lower is very difficult and indicates that wage driven inflation is going to be an issue. You actually need a certain level of unemployment to keep the balance of power between employers and employees. Zero unemployment or anything close to that would harm the economy.

The US could take a more proactive approach to attracting a range of better qualified people through stronger immigration controls coupled with a fast, efficient immigrant processing system. Also, a stronger seasonal worker scheme allowing the cheap seasonal labor required without creating new citizens. Good for the poor neighbors who see US earnings shipped into their economies. Good for the workers who can earn better money than at home. Good for the US in keeping many commodity prices (food etc) lower. A annually adjusted quota system to reflect the employment situation in the US. Just needs enough rules and oversight to make sure the seasonal workers are being treated fairly rather than becoming slave labor that distorts the labor market fundamentals.

Bringing in people to fill low skill, low wage jobs as citizens who will require massive govt support well beyond any taxes they might pay might be OK for the employers, but what's the return to the overall economy and other tax payers??

It's just common sense.

Yea, that's what this country needs. More people with zero skills, no money, and no ability to support themselves.

First step is make sure Americans are working, or at least off the tit.

Second step is to focus on an immigration policy that has a contributory effect to the nation, not a detracting.

If we have immigrants doing all the entry level work, what will we do with all the lazy ass pieces of pot smoking dumbass garbage that refuse to work?
Don't know about you, but I'm tired of paying their bills.
And trust me. I'm not the only one.

Yea, that's what this country needs. More people with zero skills, no money, and no ability to support themselves.

Second step is to focus on an immigration policy that has a contributory effect to the nation, not a detracting.

U-6 is at or around 11%, the real unemployment number ...

Or we could do something about stagnant wages.

Yes that is exactly what this country needs.

American employers need employees for low end jobs.

They will support themselves.

We should train Americans to do the higher skilled jobs, not import foreigners for that.

Nah, I'd much rather stop paying the people to sit home so THEY can go back to work.
Who exactly are the people being paid to sit at home? Haven't all the covid benefits expired? Links, please.

Back
Top Bottom