• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two NC workers fired for not joining company's daily Christian devotionals

I guess you think if you call a prayer meeting a "staff" meeting that it magically changes one thing to another. It doesn't work like that. And, no, I've never been forced to attend a mandatory prayer meeting at work. I've attended thousands of meetings, some of them had a person start with a brief prayer. That is not what we're talking about here, not what was described in the article in the OP.
[emphasis added by bubba]
those meetings started with a prayer
so, because that prayer was brief, no problem
but this company engages in longer prayers, so that's an EEO problem
don't think so

I am a devout Christian but believe that no one should be forced into prayer.
and no one forced the terminated employees to engage in prayer
however, they were forced, and paid, to sit in meetings in which prayerful discussion was held
while stuff was being said with which the now terminated employees did not agree, i suspect we have all be in staff meetings where we were forced to hear crap we did not agree with

Again, this case must be seen in light of this particular Court. Freakin' Alito was quoting laws from the 1600s in his Roe opinion.

Private company can do what they want right? That's what leftists have been saying for years now every time someone brings up online censorship!

Sure as long as they do not violate federal like these assholes have done...

the termination was not because of the employee's religious beliefs
the termination was (likely) for insubordination for failing to attend the requisite staff meeting
How did you come up with this? It's not in the article.

How did you come up with this? It's not in the article.
the article indicated the employee confirmed meeting attendance was required
and later stated the employee failed to attend the meeting after learning it was compulsory

and no one forced the terminated employees to engage in prayer
however, they were forced, and paid, to sit in meetings in which prayerful discussion was held
while stuff was being said with which the now terminated employees did not agree, i suspect we have all be in staff meetings where we were forced to hear crap we did not agree with
From the article
He said he was asked on one occasion to lead the Christian prayer, which he refused

The article leaves the issue of informed consent completely open. If the two were informed at hiring that this was a job expectation, then the company could be covered.
the employee met with management to advise that he was not a practicing Christian
employer responded that was OK

The article leaves the issue of informed consent completely open. If the two were informed at hiring that this was a job expectation, then the company could be covered.
Nothing about it on their website, the article states.

From the article
and it would appear that he was not compelled to do so after he declined the invitation to be the prayer leader

the article indicated the employee confirmed meeting attendance was required
and later stated the employee failed to attend the meeting after learning it was compulsory
You left out a lot. Why did you do that?

and it would appear that he was not compelled to do so after he declined the invitation to be the prayer leader
You are running interference hard. Are prayers required at your place of employment?

He was deducted pay. Of course, as someone said before, we know one side of the story. I'd like to know more.

Of course.

This court has throw law out the door in favor of agenda.
They have made that very clear.

This country will be transformed by this corrupt court.

You are running interference hard. Are prayers required at your place of employment?
you tell me:
I swear that the evidence that I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God.
is that reference to G_d a religious act?

He was deducted pay. Of course, as someone said before, we know one side of the story. I'd like to know more.
if he was deducted pay for refusing to lead the staff in prayer then that would be an obvious EEO violation
but nowhere have i seen that to have been the basis for lost pay

What makes you think business was being discussed during those parts of the meeting? That's what I meant. If business wasn't being discussed during those parts, then I'm not sure what your point was.

It certainly looks like a threat to me, either way.

Point being, a mandatory meeting in which buisness WAS being discussed, in part.

Which changes that these meetings were all about religion, which it appears they are not. As the employee wanted to not be there for those "parts" that were.

you tell me:

is that reference to G_d a religious act?
It is and it should be seen as unconstitutional. They will, however, let you swear to tell the truth if you say you're not comfortable with the typical affirmation.

But yes, it is and should be viewed as a violation of the establishment clause.

Sounds like an oath. Is that what these 2 employees were asked to do?
they were asked to be present during a discussion about G_d, much as that oath appeals to G_d
how are both circumstances not religiously based?

if he was deducted pay for refusing to lead the staff in prayer then that would be an obvious EEO violation
but nowhere have i seen that to have been the basis for lost pay
(recognizing we have VERY little information to fully assess the actual circumstances)
Yet, here you are making up facts not in evidence.

Back
Top Bottom