• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two NC workers fired for not joining company's daily Christian devotionals

Agreed, but this is the EEOC. They are suing based on discrimination. Unlike the football game, these meetings are mandatory.
Yea in football the players always call the shots especially in high school. The coach is just along for the ride. The players decide what plays to run and who sits on the bench and the coach is just there to cheer them on. I bet those players told him to pray on the 50 yard line or they wouldn't play ball with him anymore. The whole thing was the players idea. 🤣🤣

In China, employees perform Tai Chi every morning to prepare them for the day's work. I wonder if companies could get away with that here.

The government can't. If the employees are on company time and being paid... The owner said they didn't have to believe in God, just join the activity.
I want my secretary to blow me or I will fire her. It's part of my business model. I am paying her and I want my money's worth. She doesn't have to like it just join in the activity.

This will likely go not well for the employers. EEOC will claim at least harassment and a firing without cause.

The employers will claim the employees were fired for cause. I suspect that is not gong to go well for the employers.

I would predict an out of court settlement with the employers paying money and agreeing to a document that says they did harass and fire without cause.That they now know it was wrong and won't do it again. This way if they do it again, they are really screwed.

You better re-read my comment..... I explicitly assumed they were required to utter no words. They are still participating in a prayer meeting with their presence.

I guess I'm not surprised. The right wing has fully embraced authoritarian Christianity as a core value.
C'mon, that is what you write, "require you to face mecca"??? that is part of the prayer too. So, are you saying the company forces them to be part of the prayer meeting? I don't think so because they asked them once only and let it go.

You can't not "join" in the prayer. You are in the prayer meeting. He might as well require people to attend a church service, but then say it's OK not to believe. Can the company assign you a mat then require you to face Mecca and kneel on that mat 5 times a day, without requiring you to mouth the prayers? Obviously that is requiring a person to join the prayer to Allah. Nothing is different just because these participants aren't required to kneel to pray, they are still joining in the prayer directed at them or others by being in the room, every day.

What you're really asking is for people to have no personal integrity about religion, so be honest about that. If you were forced to kneel and face Allah as those around you prayed to a god you did not believe it, it would be highly offensive to you to be forced into that position. You're expecting a devout Christian to go along with something he or she finds offensive, blasphemous, to keep their job.

C'mon, that is what you write, "require you to face mecca"??? that is part of the prayer too. So, are you saying the company forces them to be part of the prayer meeting? I don't think so because they asked them once only and let it go.
Did they need to sit there for the meeting? Was it obvious to others they weren't participating?

and i would predict that the employer will be fine in this matter because it would have been an EEO violation to exclude the employees from staff meetings only because of those employees' lack of religious practice
LOL They were fired for not wanting to be forced to pray everyday because praying is against their religion. These were prayer meetings not staff meetings and they happened every workday. The fired employees would have attended a staff meeting. If the employer wanted them to attend a real staff meeting they could have scheduled one AFTER the prayer meeting but they didn't. That is not an "unreasonable accommodation" for an atheist employee is it? You can't force someone to pray to keep their job Just like you can't force your secretary to blow you and claim it is "part of the job". Or do you think that is OK too?

Last edited:
LOL They were fired for not wanting to be forced to pray everyday because praying is against their religion. These were prayer meetings not staff meetings and they happened every workday. The fired employees would have attended a staff meeting. If the employer wanted them to attend a real staff meeting they could have scheduled one AFTER the prayer meeting but they didn't. That is not an "unreasonable accommodation" for an atheist employee is it? You can't force someone to pray to keep their job Just like you can't force your secretary to blow you and claim it is "part of the job". Or do you think that is OK too?
the business would commit an EEO violation for treating the two employees differently on the work site only because of their religious views
the employees were obligated to attend the business' meeting
they were being paid to be present
they confirmed they were expected to be present
and they chose not to show up at the meeting
then they were terminated
my assumption is the justification for termination was insubordination; the failure to attend a meeting they knew they were expected to attend

it has already been recognized in this thread that it is not uncommon for prayers to be said during business events
the quibbling then seems to be about the duration of prayers at business meetings - especially at this particular business

the business would commit an EEO violation for treating the two employees differently on the work site only because of their religious views
the employees were obligated to attend the business' meeting
they were being paid to be present
they confirmed they were expected to be present
and they chose not to show up at the meeting
then they were terminated
my assumption is the justification for termination was insubordination; the failure to attend a meeting they knew they were expected to attend

it has already been recognized in this thread that it is not uncommon for prayers to be said during business events
the quibbling then seems to be about the duration of prayers at business meetings - especially at this particular business
Let me guess...employment law is not your specialty.

Back
Top Bottom