• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two NC workers fired for not joining company's daily Christian devotionals

Shrink726

The tolerant left? I'm the intolerant left.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Good, a reason to vote Reprobate.

This is interesting. Chick-fil-A closes Sundays and nobody works because of religion. I'm not sure the 1st Amendment would apply to a private company.
Agreed, but this is the EEOC. They are suing based on discrimination. Unlike the football game, these meetings are mandatory.

The Supremes should have a ball with this one.

Religious nutters have the green light now, worse in some states.

Gpuvka7.jpg

Agreed, but this is the EEOC. They are suing based on discrimination. Unlike the football game, these meetings are mandatory.
But the football game involved a government employee, this does not.

This is interesting. Chick-fil-A closes Sundays and nobody works because of religion. I'm not sure the 1st Amendment would apply to a private company.
Closing on Sundays is one thing, forcing a person to pray as a condition of employment is something else altogether. Is this a 1st issue or a breach of labour laws? I don't know about the States but our employment laws prohibit discrimination against an employee based on religion.

And, small factoid, the two employees were fired for not kneeling down to their Christian Taliban masters.

Those employees should be richly compensated financially AND the employer should, by all rights, be prosecuted criminally. Not sure what the charge should be, but there damn sure should be one that would fit this outrage.

Refer them to the department of discrimination.

There you can discriminate against anything you want for a fee.

Why aren't Islamists and the Church of Satan not purposely coming up with similar stuff that is pushed to our SC????

Closing on Sundays is one thing, forcing a person to pray as a condition of employment is something else altogether. Is this a 1st issue or a breach of labour laws? I don't know about the States but our employment laws prohibit discrimination against an employee based on religion.
The complaint said the owner told him that he did not have to believe in God nor did he have to like the meetings but he had to participate. McGaha refused and he was fired, the complaint said.

Private business....and the business didn't discriminate in hiring (they obviously hired these folks that were not Christian when they applied). I don't think SCOTUS will do anything. Nor should they.

Now, if the employer docked the pay or withheld commission...as is alleged in the lawsuit...that will likely be addressed and they'll be forced to pay back pay, etc., and may be forced to provide some additional compensation and attorney fees for THAT wrong. But private businesses can have prayer, etc.

In the old, sane days employees like this could depend upon our Supreme court, before it became extreme right, to rule for them so that they aren't forced to do any kind of prayer from any kind of religion just to do a job.

In China, employees perform Tai Chi every morning to prepare them for the day's work. I wonder if companies could get away with that here.
If this is true, the workers should definitely win this lawsuit. You cannot force employees to participate in religious activities or be fired.
The government can't. If the employees are on company time and being paid... The owner said they didn't have to believe in God, just join the activity.

Back
Top Bottom