• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two Navy SEALs, two Marines charged in murder of Green Beret

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

logan-melgarjpg-79d5b79c151fe44c.jpg

U.S. Army Green Beret Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar.

11/15/18
Two elite Navy SEALs and two Marine Raiders were charged with felony murder in the June 2017 strangulation death of U.S. Army Green Beret Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar. The U.S. Navy brought the charges against the four service members on Tuesday, painting a gruesome picture of the effort to kill Melgar, 34. The suspects are accused of driving to Marine quarters to obtain duct tape, breaking into Melgar's room while he was sleeping, restraining him with the duct tape, and strangling him in a chokehold. The four U.S. service members, which include two members of the famed SEAL Team Six, killed Melgar "while perpetrating a burglary," according to their charge sheets. Melgar was killed in Bamako, Mali, where U.S. forces were working with local military to counter the local Al Qaeda affiliate, Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb. Melgar died in the embassy housing he shared with other service members. In addition to felony murder, the charges against the four men include conspiracy, obstruction of justice, hazing and burglary. A spokesperson for U.S. Special Operations Command said these charges do not reflect the conduct of U.S. Special Operators all over the world.

The purported identities of the SEAL Team Six perpetrators are Petty Officer Tony DeDolph and Chief Petty Officer Adam Cranston Matthews. The Marine Raiders identities remain redacted at this time.

I trust that Justice will be done.

Related: Navy SEALs and Marines charged over death of Green Beret in Mali

I heard this story a while ago; seems longer that JUN17, but given the news cycle, a week ago is ancient!

Such a weird story. For four highly vetted, highly trained individuals to all agree to this boggles the mind.

The beret flash is the same as SGT La David Johnson; I think I posted this earlier, why do the beret flash and parachutist badge flash not coincide in the pics of SGT Johnson?

View attachment 67244361

The beret flash is the same as SGT La David Johnson; I think I posted this earlier, why do the beret flash and parachutist badge flash not coincide in the pics of SGT Johnson?

View attachment 67244361

Sgt Johnson was deployed with an SF Group but wasn't himself a "Green Beret." Groups still need mechanics, legal, HR, Intel, etc. But those supporting troops do not need to go through the almost two years of training.

Such a weird story. For four highly vetted, highly trained individuals to all agree to this boggles the mind.

I bet that the dead guy had something on the rest like they stole something or raped a local woman and he was gonna nark on them so the offed his ass.... this is a strange story from the get go.

Sgt Johnson was deployed with an SF Group but wasn't himself a "Green Beret." Groups still need mechanics, legal, HR, Intel, etc. But those supporting troops do not need to go through the almost two years of training.

I think I wasn’t clear; look at the beret flash and the wings flash, they don’t match....

I bet that the dead guy had something on the rest like they stole something or raped a local woman and he was gonna nark on them so the offed his ass.... this is a strange story from the get go.

I definitely feel there is some vital information to this whole thing that we are not privy to.

Yeah. Cause if we don’t punish the colonials, like Carl Peters, the natives will get rebellious.

View attachment 67244361

Good catch. The beret flash is correct but the parachutist badge flash looks upside down.

Last edited:
I think I wasn’t clear; look at the beret flash and the wings flash, they don’t match....

Oh no that's my bad, I totally misread the post. As Skeptic Bob posted, it looks like the flash for the wings were upside down.

As I recall the story from 2017, money was involved somehow.

Judas betrayed Christ for silver. I think it's still a human dynamic.

One of my team mates went through the Q course with Logan Melga. Has nothing but amazing things to say about the guy. In my personal opinion SEAL team 6 should be disbanded. Between this several of the other publicized discipline problems they have plus the other less well known ones I have heard of they have some serious issues. A community of great warriors but serious ethical issues.

One of my team mates went through the Q course with Logan Melga. Has nothing but amazing things to say about the guy. In my personal opinion SEAL team 6 should be disbanded. Between this several of the other publicized discipline problems they have plus the other less well known ones I have heard of they have some serious issues. A community of great warriors but serious ethical issues.

Disband the most elite counter terror unit? Thats a bit extreme isnt it? Do you think the constant deployments in this war on terror created some sort of PTSD that made them do something as crazy as this?

My brother used to live in San Diego. On a return flight east, I took up my normal seat on SWA. I always head for the rear. Two servicemen took the seats directly in front of me. I think they let it slip that they were SEALs. They drank all the beer they could and proceeded to act as boorish and unprofessional as possible.

logan-melgarjpg-79d5b79c151fe44c.jpg

U.S. Army Green Beret Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar.

The purported identities of the SEAL Team Six perpetrators are Petty Officer Tony DeDolph and Chief Petty Officer Adam Cranston Matthews. The Marine Raiders identities remain redacted at this time.

I trust that Justice will be done.

Related: Navy SEALs and Marines charged over death of Green Beret in Mali

Reminds me of the plot of "A Few Good Men".

Disband the most elite counter terror unit? Thats a bit extreme isnt it? Do you think the constant deployments in this war on terror created some sort of PTSD that made them do something as crazy as this?

There is nothing they do that the guys out of Bragg, that do the same jobs as them yet remain out of the spotlight, can not do at least as well if not better. And the guys out of Bragg have done at least as many deployments and this is far from the first discipline or publicity issue that SEAL team 6 has had. How many do you hear about from the guys at Bragg. There is a reason for that. .

In my job I spend a decent amount of time working with both.

Last edited:
My brother used to live in San Diego. On a return flight east, I took up my normal seat on SWA. I always head for the rear. Two servicemen took the seats directly in front of me. I think they let it slip that they were SEALs. They drank all the beer they could and proceeded to act as boorish and unprofessional as possible.
That's why there is a long standing joke of how do you know if there is a SEAL in the bar with you. Don't worry he will tell you.

Back
Top Bottom