• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two more Navy Capatains walk the PC Navy's plank

APACHERAT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I've lost track of how many Navy commanders have been relieved of their commands during the past four years. Have even lost track for this year, I know it's well over twenty and there's still three more months left in the year.

There's the old phrase, "A fish stinks from the head down."
In layman terms, when an organization, state, nation (or any establishment) fails, it is because the leadership was the root cause of the failure.

To dumb it down some more, if a servant is disorderly, it is because the master is disorderly.

>" All of a sudden it's dangerous to command a medical treatment facility on board a U.S. Navy hospital ship.

Both CAPT William Cogar and Kevin Koop found the brass have no "Comfort" or "Mercy" for them, despite the names of their two respective naval vessels.

Each officer has been relieved. Cogar for lying about his weight on a PFA, and Koop for having what the Navy calls a "lack of leadership" and "poor-command climate."

CAPT Cogar was commanding officer of the med treatment facility aboard the USNS Comfort at San Diego, and Koop had the same position on his boat, the Norfolk-based USNS Mercy.

"TIMES ARE CHANGING," CHIEFS SAY

Old salts of the sea, and some of our favorite master chief petty officer informants, tell us they cannot remember a medical officer in such a position walking the plank, much less two in the space of 30 days.

"It must be the new Navy," griped one, snorting about the sudden celebration of gay couples, same-sex marriages and joint assignments. "Maybe Obama will come out of the closet himself before his term is up," said one military member, who preferred to remain anonymous.

FALLEN FROM A LOFTY HEIGHT

Cogar's fall can be traced to a false entry on his PFA. Investigators said he knowingly had an incorrect weight entered on his records and that as many as four crew members of the COMFORT also had falsified records.

The 59 year-old native of Akron, Ohio started his long career as a Navy hospital corpsman in the 1970's and was commissioned an ensign in the USNR in 1984.

Cogar is holder of the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, the MSM with two gold stars, Navy Commendation Medal with gold star, Navy Achievement Medal, Humanitarian Assistance medal, and Iraq Campaign Medal.

Koop has a similarly distinguished background. He was awarded the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star and served in Afghanistan.

Now both men are the latest names on a long list of Navy commanders whose careers have come to a sudden and ignominious end."<

CAPT WILLIAM COGAR

So what's the point of this article other than to NOT actually tell us why these officers were relieved and insinuate that somehow political correctness and Obama are to blame for all the Navy's failures while failing to make any argument of substance?

It did say. Coger lied about his weight by knowingly falsifing documents, which is a huge no no for an officer. That **** can get an officer kicked out of service entirely. If the guy is fat, he needs to man up and do something about it, not lie on official documents.

I've lost track of how many Navy commanders have been relieved of their commands during the past four years. Have even lost track for this year, I know it's well over twenty and there's still three more months left in the year.

I don't know what ****ty service you were in, but in the Army, falsifying documents is a serious offense. I have absolutely no idea why you would defend that or make this one of your idiotic "it's Obama's PC" cases.

For the second guy, they said he had poor leadership and poor command climate, which means he was being a terrible leader and making his sailors' lives miserable. Are you also opposed to military leaders ever being relieved, no matter how incompetent they are? Unbelievable.

Last edited:
I don't know what ****ty service you were in, but in the Army, falsifying documents is a serious offense. I have absolutely no idea why you would defend that or make this one of your idiotic "it's Obama's PC" cases. For the second guy, they said he had poor leadership and poor command climate, which means he was being a terrible leader and making his sailors' lives miserable. Are you also opposed to military leaders ever being relieved, no matter how incompetent they are? Unbelievable.

In Apache's case I think it is quite simple, he only has one drum and only knows one beat.

Falsifying multiple records seems to be the one Officer's offense. Being an incompetent prick the other's. Usually Apache makes it about 'social engineering' and attacking GAWD fearing folks, but I guess he thinks officers can do no wrong and should slide through no matter what...

Some would see this as bold, long overdue house cleaning. I guess others see a bit of gold braid and think the wearer is semi-sacred... :roll:

In Apache's case I think it is quite simple, he only has one drum and only knows one beat.

Falsifying multiple records seems to be the one Officer's offense. Being an incompetent prick the other's. Usually Apache makes it about 'social engineering' and attacking GAWD fearing folks, but I guess he thinks officers can do no wrong and should slide through no matter what...

Some would see this as bold, long overdue house cleaning. I guess others see a bit of gold braid and think the wearer is semi-sacred... :roll:

Yeah, I've seen my share of really, really, awful officers. "Bad leadership and bad command climate" means exactly what you think it means; he was a terrible leader and probably made everyone's lives a living hell.

All well, I never take Apacherat seriously anyways. Just let him mumble on about Obama and he'll eventually get tired and take his afternoon nap.

Yeah, I'm struggling with what's supposed to be "PC" about these cases.

Yeah, I'm struggling with what's supposed to be "PC" about these cases.

In right wing circles, calling anything that happens to the military "PC" is the "in" thing to do

In another thread, MMC called the sacking of military officers for being involved in defrauding the Navy "PC"

I don't know what ****ty service you were in, but in the Army, falsifying documents is a serious offense. I have absolutely no idea why you would defend that or make this one of your idiotic "it's Obama's PC" cases.

For the second guy, they said he had poor leadership and poor command climate, which means he was being a terrible leader and making his sailors' lives miserable. Are you also opposed to military leaders ever being relieved, no matter how incompetent they are? Unbelievable.

Argument here seems to be "two hospital ship captains got relieved and this has never happened before! Therefore Aliens. And PC and Obama."

In right wing circles, calling anything that happens to the military "PC" is the "in" thing to do

In another thread, MMC called the sacking of military officers for being involved in defrauding the Navy "PC"
I missed the PC claim in the other thread. But come on...companies can't bribe government officials with prostitutes anymore?? Political correctness gone amuck!

Argument here seems to be "two hospital ship captains got relieved and this has never happened before! Therefore Aliens. And PC and Obama."

Well, ok, now it all makes perfect sense.

The Mercy is technically my husband's command, so he told me about the CO being relieved a week or two ago (he is cross-assigned, so he actually reports to Balboa, not the Mercy for his duties). I don't know why anyone would think it is wrong to kick out a CO for lying. And it honestly wasn't just like he lied once on one PRT and they caught him on it. There was a bit more to it, everyone basically just has the official story. He deserved it though.

And it sounds like the other CO deserved his as well.

Heck, the CO in Bahrain fired last year was because he was having inappropriate parties at his rented place there, including inviting younger officers and enlisted sailors (junior enlisted) and skinny dipping in the river outside his place.

Many of the firings are well deserved. Heck, there have been a lot of COs who have gotten away with a lot of stuff that is completely inappropriate. Prior to getting on the Lincoln, the guys told me the CO they had just before it wasted all sorts of government money and ship's time to further his own political aspirations, including taking the ship to Santa Barbara (we were stationed in WA and Santa Barbara isn't exactly a normal port for the Navy, particularly not an aircraft carrier) in order for him to attend a political function and redecorated his state room right after knowing that it had already been redecorated by the previous CO (tradition in the Navy is that the leaving CO redecorates the state room for the oncoming CO) (both done with Navy funding).

Re: Two more Navy Captains walk the PC Navy's plank

I'm not defending the Captain who falsified his records, Like I even the U.S. Navy Institute are asking why are there all of a sudden so many navy commanders being relieved of their commands ? When the Navy had a 900 or even a 600 ship fleet there were less commanders walking the plank than today with a fleet at it's smallest size since 1916, less than 300 ships and the majority aren't even able to put to sea and fight.

And it's just not the Navy but all four branches of the service. Why are members of the service doing things today that they weren't or wouldn't have been doing five years ago ? Like MCC thread about the naval officers who were taking bribes.

This is where the fish rots from the head comes in. Obama is redefining the purpose and character of the U.S. military. If your an officer and in some case a SNCO and your not politically correct enough for the left, your going to be targeted.

The fact are those serving in the military don't respect their Cn'C. If the Cn'C don't respect them how do you expect those who serve under his command to respect him. Even in the military respect has to be earned.

Just awhile back the Marine commander of all Marine bases on Hawaii was relieved of his command for poor leadership and poor command climate. What finally came out was he was fired over pigs. That's right pigs. He was relieved of his command as a political payback to PETA by Obama.

Today when you see "poor leadership and poor command climate" or loss of confidence it's probably not something for some strange reason just began, it's for not being politically correct enough for todays new PC military. You have thousands of career officers who are scared to talk and they all look at each other wondering who's next on the Obama hit list ?

Now half of these walking the planks have to do with sexual misconduct. True, years ago there was no big problem because it was before social engineering. Congress and the activist didn't take the time to think what will be the consequences using the military for social engineering ? Today you are seeing the consequences and there's nothing you can do about it, it's biological science and no matter how hard the left uses revisionism and tries to rewrite science, boys and girls are going to be attracted to each other.

I'm not defending the Captain who falsified his records, Like I even the U.S. Navy Institute are asking why are there all of a sudden so many navy commanders being relieved of their commands ? When the Navy had a 900 or even a 600 ship fleet there were less commanders walking the plank than today with a fleet at it's smallest size since 1916, less than 300 ships and the majority aren't even able to put to sea and fight.

And it's just not the Navy but all four branches of the service. Why are members of the service doing things today that they weren't or wouldn't have been doing five years ago ? Like MCC thread about the naval officers who were taking bribes.

This is where the fish rots from the head comes in. Obama is redefining the purpose and character of the U.S. military. If your an officer and in some case a SNCO and your not politically correct enough for the left, your going to be targeted.

The fact are those serving in the military don't respect their Cn'C. If the Cn'C don't respect them how do you expect those who serve under his command to respect him. Even in the military respect has to be earned.

Just awhile back the Marine commander of all Marine bases on Hawaii was relieved of his command for poor leadership and poor command climate. What finally came out was he was fired over pigs. That's right pigs. He was relieved of his command as a political payback to PETA by Obama.

Today when you see "poor leadership and poor command climate" or loss of confidence it's probably not something for some strange reason just began, it's for not being politically correct enough for todays new PC military. You have thousands of career officers who are scared to talk and they all look at each other wondering who's next on the Obama hit list ?

Now half of these walking the planks have to do with sexual misconduct. True, years ago there was no big problem because it was before social engineering. Congress and the activist didn't take the time to think what will be the consequences using the military for social engineering ? Today you are seeing the consequences and there's nothing you can do about it, it's biological science and no matter how hard the left uses revisionism and tries to rewrite science, boys and girls are going to be attracted to each other.

Smallest Navy since 1916?

No officers misbehaved up until 5 years ago?

Political payback to PETA?

Targeting of officers and NCOs?

Thousands of officers scared into silence?

Obama hit list?

Sexual misconduct was not a big problem a few years ago?

Sexual misconduct was not a big problem a few years ago?

This has to be the craziest and dumbest post I've ever read.

It isn't that the officers and higher ups are just now doing stuff. It is that they are just now being held accountable in such high numbers for the things they do. They aren't simply being transferred or the problems hidden. We find about what does happen more because we have many more sources.

Thats been the observation, so many commanders being sacked than in the past and our military is half of it's size today.

Remember, this all just began a few years ago. These officers who are walking the plank for what ever reasons have twenty to thirty years of service under their belts.

What's different today than five years ago ?

When you say things like the pigs thing, you sound like a conspiracy theorist. That's a really, really weak connection your'e drawing with everything here.

Fact is, you have absolutely no idea what the officer climate of 2013 is. I just got out and I can tell you because the economy makes it an employer's market. I came in in 2005 and it was completely different. They were so desperate for bodies for the wars they were taking felons with neck tattoos. Now they've been told to downsize since the wars are drawing to a close, but nobody wants to leave because the economy sucks.

So what do they do? They start taking out the trash. Get rid of the terrible leaders and bad apples. Listen, I don't like Obama either, but making up ****ty connections like this just makes YOU look crazy, and you're doing it at the cost of advocating for terrible officers. Just think about that.

Thats been the observation, so many commanders being sacked than in the past and our military is half of it's size today.

Remember, this all just began a few years ago. These officers who are walking the plank for what ever reasons have twenty to thirty years of service under their belts.

What's different today than five years ago ?

Did you seriously just ask that? Have you heard nothing of the draw down in Iraq and the downsizing of the military? They're kicking a LOT of people out.

Heck, there have been a lot of COs who have gotten away with a lot of stuff that is completely inappropriate. Prior to getting on the Lincoln, the guys told me the CO they had just before it wasted all sorts of government money and ship's time to further his own political aspirations, including taking the ship to Santa Barbara (we were stationed in WA and Santa Barbara isn't exactly a normal port for the Navy, particularly not an aircraft carrier) in order for him to attend a political function and redecorated his state room right after knowing that it had already been redecorated by the previous CO (tradition in the Navy is that the leaving CO redecorates the state room for the oncoming CO) (both done with Navy funding).

What's the lure of Santa Barbara and ships captains ? Is there a top secret goats locker club or a secret captains brothel in Santa Barbara ?
Back in the early 60's one day the CVS USS Bennington showed up offshore of Santa Barbara and dropped anchor. They lowered the captains launch and he came ashore.

Back in the 90's one weekend a LHA or LHD was anchored off shore and there was a LCU on the beach. The papers never mentioned if Clinton had ordered the invasion of Santa Barbara. And I can't picture Barbra Streisand throwing a party for the Navy.

Maybe there's a top secret military installation hidden within the city of Santa Barbara ?

BTW, did the ships crew on the Lincoln get shore leave in Santa Barbara ?

Actually it's not that uncommon to see navy ships anchored offshore of Santa Barbara. No one really knows why but with the close proximity to Point Mugu NAS and Port Hueneme and the channel islands just offshore where the navy does all kinds of stuff who knows what's going on in Santa Barbara ?

What's the lure of Santa Barbara and ships captains ? Is there a top secret goats locker club or a secret captains brothel in Santa Barbara ?
Back in the early 60's one day the CVS USS Bennington showed up offshore of Santa Barbara and dropped anchor. They lowered the captains launch and he came ashore.

Back in the 90's one weekend a LHA or LHD was anchored off shore and there was a LCU on the beach. The papers never mentioned if Clinton had ordered the invasion of Santa Barbara. And I can't picture Barbra Streisand throwing a party for the Navy.

Maybe there's a top secret military installation hidden within the city of Santa Barbara ?

BTW, did the ships crew on the Lincoln get shore leave in Santa Barbara ?

Actually it's not that uncommon to see navy ships anchored offshore of Santa Barbara. No one really knows why but with the close proximity to Point Mugu NAS and Port Hueneme and the channel islands just offshore where the navy does all kinds of stuff who knows what's going on in Santa Barbara ?

They got very little and it was busted by a storm which screwed up the liberty boats. A portion of the crew was stuck on shore, while the others had to take up the slack.

It isn't normal for an aircraft carrier. CVNs are way too big. West coast carriers usually go to San Diego or Pearl for liberty ports, or up to Victoria Canada.

And from the info I got, it is possible that it is a place with high political influence.

When you say things like the pigs thing, you sound like a conspiracy theorist. That's a really, really weak connection your'e drawing with everything here.

Did Pigs Get a U.S. Marine Colonel Fired?

>" U.S. Marine Corps Installations Pacific Commander Maj. Gen. Peter Talleri replaced Col. Jeffrey R. Woods this week "due a lack of confidence" in Woods' leadership. No other information was released about the change other than it is a "private matter."

This announcement came on the heels of a national social media campaign launched October 3 by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and October 5 by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine to get the military to stop using live pigs in their military training in Hawaii..."<

Did Pigs Get a U.S. Marine Colonel Fired? | Hawaii Reporter

>" It's often unfair to those fired, as well as their families, when the military announces a relief of command, but declines to disclose the reason why.

That starts the rumor mill going, and in the Aloha State, stories about why Col. Jeffrey Woods, commander of Marine Corps Base Hawaii, was canned are thicker than fleas. We have touched base with our sources on the island and can say it "might" have something to do with the ex-commander drinking too much in the club and having several "inappropriate relationships" with female Marines.

But just why the brass are hiding behind the Privacy Act, could also have something to do with PETA and pigs. That's right. You read that correctly. Some civilians have been raising cain over the Marine's use of sows in certain experiments in Hawaii. Woods, reportedly, was outspoken on the issue. In other words, this career Marine may have been brought down and career ended because of his lack of "political correctness."..."<

COL. JEFFREY R. WOODS

https://ssl.congress.org/congressorg/bio/userletter/?id=9501&letter_id=7490695551

T

And from the info I got, it is possible that it is a place with high political influence.

I think you're on track. The last bastion of conservatives have taken up refuge overlooking Santa Barbara in Montecito Heights but some how Oprah and Ellen Degeneres snuck in disguised as illegal alien toilet cleaners and are now well entrenched and standing their ground.

Any neighborhood where the average person can't even afford to eat at the local greasy spoon and is overpopulated with liberals at night and illegal alien gardeners, toilet cleaners and nannies during the day usually has a high political influence.

I think you're on track. The last bastion of conservatives have taken up refuge overlooking Santa Barbara in Montecito Heights but some how Oprah and Ellen Degeneres snuck in disguised as illegal alien toilet cleaners and are now well entrenched and standing their ground.

Any neighborhood where the average person can't even afford to eat at the local greasy spoon and is overpopulated with liberals at night and illegal alien gardeners, toilet cleaners and nannies during the day usually has a high political influence.

Possibly. However, this would have started many decades ago, from your own stories and my own experience (my ship would have been in the first part of 2000). But it doesn't make what they are doing right. I don't care what political affiliation they are or what are current military affairs are (at the time, no wars, a selling point I used to appease my own mother), it is wrong to waste money, taxpayer money, on the political ambitions of a ship's captain.

Possibly. However, this would have started many decades ago, from your own stories and my own experience (my ship would have been in the first part of 2000). But it doesn't make what they are doing right. I don't care what political affiliation they are or what are current military affairs are (at the time, no wars, a selling point I used to appease my own mother), it is wrong to waste money, taxpayer money, on the political ambitions of a ship's captain.

Like I said I don't know why large Navy ships all of a sudden drop anchor off of Santa Barbara. It happens every once in awhile. I forgot that Vandenberg AFB is also up the road from Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara doesn't even have a harbor, just a small yacht harbor.

During the 1700's and until the late 1860's Santa Barbara could only be reached by the sea or on horseback. The first wagon trail was built during the 1860's which is Hwy. 101 today.

Come to think of it, when I'm on the east coast in the DC area the DC Navy Yard is always one of my stops. I like reading all of the Navy's old ship logs and Santa Barbara was always a port of call with the Pacific Squadron.

I suppose today, Santa Barbra becoming so blue and the common people aren't really welcomed, it's just too expensive today to be a liberty town for sailors.

So what's the point of this article other than to NOT actually tell us why these officers were relieved and insinuate that somehow political correctness and Obama are to blame for all the Navy's failures while failing to make any argument of substance?

But that's the point of all of his posts!

But that's the point of all of his posts!

You and many others just don't get it.

Lets try again.

Below is an opinion piece from the U.S. Naval Institute, the same people who publish "Proceedings." If you don't read or even know what "Proceedings" is, this topic is out of the ball park for you.

>" As of this date, 16 Navy commanding officers, including five ship captains, have been relieved of their respective commands in 2013.

Is this number particularly significant? Well, while the number of ships in commission has continued to decline, to what is now the lowest number since 1916, the number of ship captains being relieved of their commands is steadily increasing. So, the percentage of ship captains being fired is rising, every year, and that should be a concern.
These officers are, quite literally, the best we have — the best we could make. Each has risen to command following years of intense competition and preparation. How could these captains be so ferociously competitive and yet fail at such a high rate?

According to Commander, Surface Forces, ship captains get relieved for two primary reasons: operational misconduct and personal misconduct.

Operational misconduct should be thought of as (almost exclusively) collision or grounding. While no electronic records related to ship captain firings exist before 2000, U-T San Diego has quoted sources in the Naval Personnel Command saying “nearly every commander fired 50 years ago got into trouble for running the ship aground or hitting a pier.” In other words, captains have been getting relieved for this sort of misadventure for as long as ships have been at sea.

Yet, no one seems especially concerned about this. It is understood that naval operations are inherently risky propositions, involving countless variables. Frankly, it is a testament to our commanding officers’ excellence that more accidents don’t happen. At the end of the day, it seems a certain number of accidents — and associated captain reliefs — are simply considered to be the cost of doing business on the high seas.

This brings us to “personal misconduct,” and the cause of the dramatic rise in firings in the past decade. Beginning in the early 1990s, post-Tailhook, women have been fully integrated into combat ships and squadrons. At first, men and women in ships had a healthy fear of one another, and the rules were rigidly enforced.

However, over time, everyone has become comfortable with the presence of the opposite sex, and naturally that comfort has led to an exploding rate of fraternization, at every level..."<

Continue -> Opinion: Why More Commanding Officers are Getting Fired | USNI News

Obama is the commander-in-chief. A commander is responsible for the conduct of the men under his command.

The higher frequency of impropriety among the officer corps of our military goes to show how Obama's lack of leadership has caused a break down in discipline.

Back
Top Bottom