• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two minutes' silence released as a charity single

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
An unlikely charity single could reach number one next week: two minutes of silence

The track, which is released on Monday as a digital download, is to raise money for the Royal British Legion.

The organisers hope that it might top the charts next week, coinciding with Remembrance Sunday.
You heard it right, folks. A song that consists of absolutely nothing but 2 minutes of silence is heading towards the top of the charts. Now before you make a statement about how stupid this is, consider what passes for music today, and then you can only realize that this makes perfect sense. :mrgreen:

To Simon and Garfunkel - Eat your hearts out. :mrgreen:

Finally, I have one more question. Will Marcel Marceau sue for copyright infringement?

Article is here.

I wish I'd thought of this years ago. What product am I selling, you ask? Why, nothing at all, sir! That'll be $5.

Profit margin of infinity %!

Already been done. Was known as the pet rock. LOL.

Many bands would do well to play this song.

An unlikely charity single could reach number one next week: two minutes of silence

You heard it right, folks. A song that consists of absolutely nothing but 2 minutes of silence is heading towards the top of the charts. Now before you make a statement about how stupid this is, consider what passes for music today, and then you can only realize that this makes perfect sense. :mrgreen:

Finally, I have one more question. Will Marcel Marceau sue for copyright infringement?

Article is here.

Sounds like the Democrats finally found a theme song. Fitting too... pay good money and get nothing.

Sounds like the Democrats finally found a theme song. Fitting too... pay good money and get nothing.

You can always count on zimmer to make a pointless partisan hack statement.

Since the proceeds of the single go to charity, this speaks to the kindness of many folks.

Article is here.

So even after reading the article, I'm not exactly sure what this charity is supposed to do.
Not very informative, if you ask me.

I am shocked... right wingers pissing on the graves of soldiers... congrats, you have sunk to a new low.

Instead of making fun of this initiative, you should be backing it.

I am shocked... right wingers pissing on the graves of soldiers... congrats, you have sunk to a new low.

Do us a favor and go away.

It seems foolish to me.

How did you get to this response?

How did you get to this response?

The OP poster starts out by making fun of the idea, and then the later responds go on the bandwagon. Disgusting.

Like it or not, the UK takes its armed forces very seriously and every year there is a Day of Remembrance (11/11 at 11) in honour of all those men and women who have served, serve, and have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country. This single is just one of many different things going on in the month leading up to it. One major one is the selling and wearing of a poppy. You can not see a British tv show or news show without pretty much everyone (even the yank commentators) wear a poppy.

The organisation that released this single is also one of the largest charities in the UK and is the largest targeting military service members..

The Royal British Legion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Making fun of the single is making fun of them and their work and the sir is a despicable act in my book. I dont go around making fun of US military charities and their work do I now? Do I make fun the yellow ribbon that the yanks use? no of course not.

I will be interested to see what happens with this. In 1952 John Cage composed what is probably considered his most well-known piece, which is known simply as "4'33". It basically consists of a pianist going to his piano, sitting down, and not hitting the keys for 4 minutes and 33 seconds. Interestingly enough, whenever other experimental music projects later on had attempted to insert any sort of lengthy silence into their music, they were actually sued by the John Cage estate for copyright infringement. I know it's absurd, but I'm really curious if that will happen in this case as well.

So it is foolish to honour the men and women who gave their lives to defending the nation... I see...

We both know that nobody is saying that.

We both know that nobody is saying that.

Do we? Then why make fun of the idea and the single? Why disrespect the work the charity is doing? Regardless of what a charity does it is never "silly" or "foolish". Buying a piece of paper shaped as a poppy or some yellow ribbon is just as foolish then...do you believe that? I dont...it is a symbol of support for a good cause and that should never be ridiculed or downplayed.

Do we? Then why make fun of the idea and the single? Why disrespect the work the charity is doing? Regardless of what a charity does it is never "silly" or "foolish". Buying a piece of paper shaped as a poppy or some yellow ribbon is just as foolish then...do you believe that? I dont...it is a symbol of support for a good cause and that should never be ridiculed or downplayed.

I don't think anyone is disrespecting the work that the charity is doing. I think they are realizing that it's kind of silly to release a 2 minute single of nothing but silence. And it kind of is, unless you are doing it for some sort of avant garde purposes, which I don't think is the case here. You can't equate pointing out that foolishness to not caring about honoring our men and women overseas. You have to realize how absurd that is. You are doing no different than people who used to equate criticism of Bush with hating American values.

You can always count on zimmer to make a pointless partisan hack statement.

Since the proceeds of the single go to charity, this speaks to the kindness of many folks.

Hey CC,
I see you have your gonch in a wad... and you lack a sense of humor (and good humor has a tinge of reality).

Been a tough week?

And did I criticize the money going to charity? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Did I criticize how they did it? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I'll stand by my OP... it is a fitting theme song for the Dems... both as a money for nothing trade, and as a couple minutes of silence for the Dems-Obama getting crushed.

Remember... Obama said this wouldn't happen on his watch... because the Dems had him this time. FLMAO.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with Pete, here. It's in very poor taste to make light of this.

I don't think they are making light of the fact that the single is for charity. I think they are making light of the fact that a 2 minute song of nothing but silence will probably reach the top of the charts. Why can't we have a sense of humor about some things? I think people really need to lighten up here. In fact, wasn't there a Tom Petty song about a band that played no music? Personally, there are a number of valid reasons to find it amusing. It has nothing to do with disrespecting a charity, though.

Hey CC,
I see you have your gonch in a wad... and you lack a sense of humor (and good humor has a tinge of reality).

Been a tough week?

And did I criticize the money going to charity? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Did I criticize how they did it? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I'll stand by my OP... it is a fitting theme song for the Dems... both as a money for nothing trade, and as a couple minutes of silence for the Dems-Obama getting crushed.

Remember... Obama said this wouldn't happen on his watch... because the Dems had him this time. FLMAO.

Who are you trying to convince with this nonsense? Seriously, all I see here are regurgitated partisan talking points. Could you possibly actually participate in the conversation rather than parroting these absurdities?

I don't think they are making light of the fact that the single is for charity. I think they are making light of the fact that a 2 minute song of nothing but silence will probably reach the top of the charts. Why can't we have a sense of humor about some things? I think people really need to lighten up here. In fact, wasn't there a Tom Petty song about a band that played no music? Personally, there are a number of valid reasons to find it amusing. It has nothing to do with disrespecting a charity, though.

To be honest, I don't think most here even realized what selling these two minutes of silence was actually for or they may not have been so quick to make light of it. And I do see the humor in the idea that this "single" just might make it to the top pf charts. I hope it does. It would make me smile. Just like it would if something like this was done to remember 9/11 and the NYFD.

Back
Top Bottom