• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two minutes' silence released as a charity single

Do us a favor and go away.

The only way you could possibly have an issue with Pete's stance in this thread is if the truth hurts.

You can't even claim he's a European commenting "needlessly" in a thread about something going on in the states.

YHL

HAND

I don't think anyone is disrespecting the work that the charity is doing. I think they are realizing that it's kind of silly to release a 2 minute single of nothing but silence.

And buying a paper poppy, yellow ribbon, an American flag, random thing charity gives out.... or.... getting a tax deduction!... is that not just as silly then?

When will you understand that it is not about the 2 min silence single.. it is about giving to the British Legion... this is just another way about doing so.

And making fun of this is the same as making fun of the people who every day go out asking for donations...and of course all those people who have defended the UK since WW1 and before.

So next time you see a former military person asking for a donation to a military charity... are you gonna laugh at him and say SILLY MAN?

And it kind of is, unless you are doing it for some sort of avant garde purposes, which I don't think is the case here.

......................................... are you ****ing serious?

You can't equate pointing out that foolishness to not caring about honoring our men and women overseas.

It aint your men and women, but those of the British Armed forces. Also as I stated, under your assumption ANY thing a charity does is silly... give a few dollars and get a sticker.. SILLY.. give a few dollars and get a paper poppy as a symbol of support.. SILLY....

Thank you for pissing on the charities of the British Armed forces and those that have protected the UK.

You have to realize how absurd that is. You are doing no different than people who used to equate criticism of Bush with hating American values.

No what is absurd is your and others attitude to this very old fine British charity, that honours the many hundreds of thousands of British men and women who have lost their lives defending their nation and the millions who have served the UK.

I guess it is open season on pissing on US vets now with that attitude. ... naw I wont steep that low, since I respect them far too much to do that.

Just like it would if something like this was done to remember 9/11 and the NYFD.

Naw that would be SILLY after all.. honouring the first responders of 9/11... SILLY...

Honouring WW1 vets, WW2 vets.. HHAHAH SILLY!

and yes I am highly ironic for those that dont understand the idea of irony.

Silence . . . music's FIRST alternative.

And buying a paper poppy, yellow ribbon, an American flag, random thing charity gives out.... or.... getting a tax deduction!... is that not just as silly then?

Apparently you aren't understanding what I'm saying. My personal views aside, a yellow ribbon and a paper poppy are actually things that you can hold in your hand. This is a 2 minute song with nothing but silence on it. The fact that it will probably rise on the charts is kind of funny to me. Just because it is amusing doesn't mean that I have any disrespect for any sort of charity. That's an absurd notion. I'm simply amused by the absurdity of it. That's it.

When will you understand that it is not about the 2 min silence single.. it is about giving to the British Legion... this is just another way about doing so.

It may not be about that for you, but that's what I'm discussing. You can read what you want into my comments, but my intention was never to disrespect the charity. I don't care what they do to get money. Even if they wanted to dance around in chicken costumes, more power to them.

And making fun of this is the same as making fun of the people who every day go out asking for donations...and of course all those people who have defended the UK since WW1 and before.

No it isn't. Making fun of the concept of a 2 minute song of nothing but silence is about just that. You are using your partisan blinders to make your arguments.

So next time you see a former military person asking for a donation to a military charity... are you gonna laugh at him and say SILLY MAN?

......................................... are you ****ing serious?

Yeah, because that's the same. :roll:

It aint your men and women, but those of the British Armed forces. Also as I stated, under your assumption ANY thing a charity does is silly... give a few dollars and get a sticker.. SILLY.. give a few dollars and get a paper poppy as a symbol of support.. SILLY....

I honestly didn't even read the article. I really could care less what the charity is about because that's not the element that I was discussing. My initial interest in the story was that it involved a 2 minute chart topping single of nothing but silence. My first post in the thread was regarding John Cage.

Thank you for pissing on the charities of the British Armed forces and those that have protected the UK.

Seriously, when has overreaction, partisan hackery and jumping to absurd conclusions ever helped your arguments?

No what is absurd is your and others attitude to this very old fine British charity, that honours the many hundreds of thousands of British men and women who have lost their lives defending their nation and the millions who have served the UK.

I guess it is open season on pissing on US vets now with that attitude. ... naw I wont steep that low, since I respect them far too much to do that.

Good lord, get over yourself and try to lighten up. :lol:

I was going rush out get a copy but then I realized I would making a mistake so I decided why buy the single when I could to hold out for the album.

Then I figured it out I can get all I want where ever blank tapes and new MP3 players are sold and they are comparably priced and the quality is impeccably superb.

I have just copy righted a Video that is a full hour and twenty minutes and documents the every positive contribution Obama has ever made in this life.

The opening is so stunningly blank it can be compared only with main body of the piece in it's emptiness.

The best part of it is the way things are going historically the sequel will be every bit as compelling.

I just wanted to chime in and say I hope they are successful with their drive. The like many of the wounded serviceman funds over here do good things for those that stepped up when asked. So I am going to down load it right now.

j-mac

Who are you trying to convince with this nonsense? Seriously, all I see here are regurgitated partisan talking points. Could you possibly actually participate in the conversation rather than parroting these absurdities?

I think you should read your post #23. No sooner than you make a post about having a sense of humor than you lose yours.

Just say'in.

I think you should read your post #23. No sooner than you make a post about having a sense of humor than you lose yours.

Just say'in.

Actually, I think you are referring to post #24. And I could definitely see humor in your post if you varied from your typical partisan course...or if that comment was out of character for you. However, it wasn't.

Hey CC,
I see you have your gonch in a wad... and you lack a sense of humor (and good humor has a tinge of reality).

Been a tough week?

And did I criticize the money going to charity? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Did I criticize how they did it? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I'll stand by my OP... it is a fitting theme song for the Dems... both as a money for nothing trade, and as a couple minutes of silence for the Dems-Obama getting crushed.

Remember... Obama said this wouldn't happen on his watch... because the Dems had him this time. FLMAO.

I'm having a good week. And it always gets better when I can point out pointless partisan hack statements that have nothing to do with the OP, that you make zim. As always, you are consistent in doing so. Writing it off as humor, is just a backpeddling excuse.

Last edited:
So it is foolish to honour the men and women who gave their lives to defending the nation... I see...

I am hard-pressed to think you a fool. I do not ridicule those who gave their lives for us. However, I will ridicule a foolish gimmick.

1. A music file with nothing on it.
2. An empty cup.
3. A pillowcase with no pillow.
4. A beehive with no honey.
5. An empty wallet.

I did not know what the point of making this void music file. But now that I do it is still foolish.

Here, I will give all of you plates with no food as charitable attempt to stop world hunger.

I am hard-pressed to think you a fool. I do not ridicule those who gave their lives for us. However, I will ridicule a foolish gimmick.

1. A music file with nothing on it.
2. An empty cup.
3. A pillowcase with no pillow.
4. A beehive with no honey.
5. An empty wallet.

I did not know what the point of making this void music file. But now that I do it is still foolish.

Here, I will give all of you plates with no food as charitable attempt to stop world hunger.

What is the point of a poppy then? What is the point of a yellow ribbon on many US houses? What is the point of receiving a tax rebate for giving to a charity? What is the point of getting a sticker put on you for giving a few bucks to a charity?

It is a symbol of you doing something.. a reward, regardless of how small it is. I am sorry you and your fellow American's cant see this, but the single is part of a long line of charity events celebrating the UK military and its sacrifice and just another method of donating. Buy the single, give money to a guy on the street, put money in a bank account, or buy a poppy.. same thing.

And by making fun of the method/event/idea, you make fun of the charity and what it stands for.

"And by making fun of the method/event/idea, you make fun of the charity and what it stands for."

When you make such a statement, it proves you're not reasonable. I wish I didn't have to dismiss you, but your rhetoric leaves me no choice.

Hey CC,
I see you have your gonch in a wad... and you lack a sense of humor (and good humor has a tinge of reality).

Been a tough week?

And did I criticize the money going to charity? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Did I criticize how they did it? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I'll stand by my OP... it is a fitting theme song for the Dems... both as a money for nothing trade, and as a couple minutes of silence for the Dems-Obama getting crushed.

Remember... Obama said this wouldn't happen on his watch... because the Dems had him this time. FLMAO.

I agree with you. The Democats got nothing for their money. At least Republican David Vitter got a diapering from a prostitute for his money. I guess that's something. :mrgreen:

I don't think it's a stupid or absurd gimmick. I like it. I think it is clever.. If it breaks records in the music charts, it could become immortalized in UK pop culture.

How do you dance to it?

o_O"

You posted exactly what I was thinking. I geniunely applaud you.

Who are you trying to convince with this nonsense? Seriously, all I see here are regurgitated partisan talking points. Could you possibly actually participate in the conversation rather than parroting these absurdities?

The answer to that question would be no.

But on to the actual thread - I read somewhere in the 1950s Two Minutes of Silence was quite popular on American Jukeboxes - though it was never "a single". It was just a way for fed up adults to shut down the jukebox for a few minutes in a soda shop or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom