• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two million British people emigrated to EU, figures show

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
EUobserver / Two million British people emigrated to EU, figures show

The numbers, covering 2010, were put forward last week in a government response to a parliamentary question by Matthew Oakeshott, a Liberal member of the House of Lords.

Compared to the 2.3 million EU citizens in the UK, which includes people who came after Poland and nine other states joined the Union in 2004, British consular authorities estimate that 2.2 million Britons live in the other 26 EU countries, excluding Croatia, which joined in 2013.

---

I guess they heard the romanians and bulgarians are coming... all 29 million of them.
( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...its-And-gipsy-community-hardly-wait-here.html )

1) That's likely to be the elderly moving to the Costa's in Spain, potentially military deployments and richer members of society going to the south of France or somewhere like that.

2) The Daily Mail is definitely Britain's favourite newspaper :D

1) That's likely to be the elderly moving to the Costa's in Spain, potentially military deployments and richer members of society going to the south of France or somewhere like that.

Military deployments are not counted as migration.

Richer migration to south of France... also no migration unless they move there and if they do so, then that would go against the idea that rich people from France are fleeing to the UK ..

As for the elderly.. yes, but far from exclusively.

Funny thing about all this, is that it is massive net positive for the UK economy. Not only does the UK get 2 million immigrants that pay more into the system than the average Brit, but the UK also exports parts of its most costly population.. aka the elderly to southern Europe where healthcare treatment is better and cheaper, hence saving the UK economy billions....

But that is not something the Daily Mail or UKIP will want out.. so shhh.

Richer migration to south of France... also no migration unless they move there and if they do so, then that would go against the idea that rich people from France are fleeing to the UK ..

Funny thing about all this, is that it is massive net positive for the UK economy. Not only does the UK get 2 million immigrants that pay more into the system than the average Brit, but the UK also exports parts of its most costly population.. aka the elderly to southern Europe where healthcare treatment is better and cheaper, hence saving the UK economy billions....

Like I keep telling you, Pete, not ALL opposition surrounding migrants is to do with pure economic objections. You don't seem to take it on board, though.

Paul

Like I keep telling you, Pete, not ALL opposition surrounding migrants is to do with pure economic objections. You don't seem to take it on board, though.

Paul

Oh I know, it is due to xenophobia and racism.

Tough crowd... i was trying to make a joke in my OP comment. Ah well.

Oh I know, it is due to xenophobia and racism.

How did I know you'd come back with that 'old chesnut'! :( Pete, you have this very unpleasant default position, over anything that you struggle to understand, and drop words in like "racism and xenophobia" at the drop of a hat.

Paul

Interesting statistic. There is quite a bit of movement around Europe. More than generally thought. When I was working in London most of my colleagues were foreigners. About 1/3 were Americans, a few from the middle East, Russia and India. The rest were eu.

Well they won't be going to Switzerland anymore...

I agree that "exporting" the elderly to southern Europe will benefit British health services, though I'm not sure that the cheaper labour likely to be offered by the immigrants will pay more into the system since employers will pay less on wages and so the government receives less tax from workers though I severely doubt if the employer's taxes will fill the gap
There are definitely some Frenchmen coming to Britain for business, but i'm talking more about the super-rich, such as Roman Abramovich, who has property in the south of France.

There isn't really a net positive or negative that I can think of, since although by having less elderly in Britain it reduces strain on the NHS. However lower wage labour supplied by Eastern Europeans migrating to Britain means that Some jobs currently occupied by Brits may be replaced with Eastern Europeans. However this does not mean all, since there are many job vacancies that could be filled by (particularly the youth) Brits, such as in Costa Coffee

Take low-paid jobs in coffee bars, Employment Minister tells young people - Telegraph

You can't make jokes Rainman :lol: Try again!

Paul

They work better in person. Maybe I'll invade Britain and tell to you in person.

They work better in person. Maybe I'll invade Britain and tell to you in person.

O know, don't do that, we couldn't possibly cope! :)

Paul

How did I know you'd come back with that 'old chesnut'! :( Pete, you have this very unpleasant default position, over anything that you struggle to understand, and drop words in like "racism and xenophobia" at the drop of a hat.

Paul

Well if it is not economic then the only alternative is based on ignorance aka xenophobia or stupidity aka racism. And yes saying you dont want any more of a certain population group in because they are different is xenophobia..

I agree that "exporting" the elderly to southern Europe will benefit British health services, though I'm not sure that the cheaper labour likely to be offered by the immigrants will pay more into the system since employers will pay less on wages and so the government receives less tax from workers though I severely doubt if the employer's taxes will fill the gap

It is simple economics. Employers have a certain number of jobs that the Brits dont want to do, so they get immigrants to do them. Now if you remove immigrants then either the employers have to raise the wages so the Brits would want to do the job, or simply move the jobs overseas. I would wager that in most cases the jobs would be moved. It is populist bull**** to think that reducing the amount of immigrants will improve the job prospects of home grown peoples... the home grown people need to get off their lazy ass.

There are definitely some Frenchmen coming to Britain for business, but i'm talking more about the super-rich, such as Roman Abramovich, who has property in the south of France.

Having property is irrelevant when talking about immigration. I understand what you are getting at but immigration is moving residence legally to another country. Roman Abramovich I suspect is still registered where he has always been and just because he has homes all over the world does not mean he lives there. As far as I know he spends most of his time on his boat in the warmer climate areas of the world. Where he is registered his tax liability.. I suspect it is Monaco or Gibraltar type place and not in the UK or France.

There isn't really a net positive or negative that I can think of, since although by having less elderly in Britain it reduces strain on the NHS. However lower wage labour supplied by Eastern Europeans migrating to Britain means that Some jobs currently occupied by Brits may be replaced with Eastern Europeans.

Yes that is a UKIP populist propaganda.. in reality most of the jobs that Eastern Europeans "take" are jobs that the Brits dont want to do at near minimum wage. And as I have proven elsewhere, most immigrants in the UK come from outside the EU. And lets look at the 2 million EU immigrants. Poland, Ireland, Germany and France are the top 4 countries and account for 1.534 million of the 2.3 million EU citizens living in the UK. Yes there are 600k Poles, but the Polish population of the UK has always been relatively high due to historical links from WW2.

And why no mention of the 2.3+ million non EU immigrants living in the UK? They are a much larger burden on the UK economy, and can also just as easily take up the jobs no? After all you dont need a Pole to do some work, if you can get a Pakistani or Jamaican at less a price right?

However this does not mean all, since there are many job vacancies that could be filled by (particularly the youth) Brits, such as in Costa Coffee

Take low-paid jobs in coffee bars, Employment Minister tells young people - Telegraph

Jobs that the youth dont want. Listen your problem is not foreigners coming in and taking your jobs. Your problem is your benefit system that has made generations of Brits lazy as hell. On this front I agree fully with the Tories, that benefits should be a stopgap... a help to get yourself on your feet, and not lifestyle which is exactly what it has become in the UK. Where I disagree with the Tories, is how to fix the problem. Cutting benefits (like the bed room tax) are idiotic as long as they dont address the cost of living issue and especially the housing price issue. You cant say people need to be paid less, when their cost of living keeps going up. All you are doing is creating more and more working poor.

But on Brits leaving the UK for Europe. There are over a million in 2 countries alone.. France and Spain. And that is due to the weather and health issues and the fact that Brits swarmed to Spain during the boom to make money.

Xenophobic. Most immigrants in Switzerland live in the big cities and are highly educated workers at the big Swiss firms. Those that voted against immigration came mostly from the rural areas that rarely have any interaction with immigrants (relatively speaking). The big cities voted mostly for immigration.

Hence it is "fear" aka xenophobia and the argument "they are coming to take our jobs" is just the usual bull****, since the reason that Swiss firms hire immigrants is because the local job market cant provide the qualified personnel.

Plus the real proof that it is xenophobic... the unemployment rate in Switzerland.. around 3%. That is defacto full employment.

-- Richer migration to south of France... also no migration unless they move there and if they do so, then that would go against the idea that rich people from France are fleeing to the UK ..

Rich UK citizens going to retire or buy cheap second property. Rich working French escaping high taxes to live in UK. Why is that so hard to understand?

-- Funny thing about all this, is that it is massive net positive for the UK economy. Not only does the UK get 2 million immigrants that pay more into the system than the average Brit, but the UK also exports parts of its most costly population.. aka the elderly to southern Europe where healthcare treatment is better and cheaper, hence saving the UK economy billions....

Oh I get the NHS reference but if richer older UK citizens take their spending power abroad - how is that exporting a costly population?

If we were truly exporting a costly problem we'd export the young unemployed poor..

Rich UK citizens going to retire or buy cheap second property. Rich working French escaping high taxes to live in UK. Why is that so hard to understand?

That is still not migrating is it.. buying a property in another country does not mean that tax wise you have migrated to said country.

Oh I get the NHS reference but if richer older UK citizens take their spending power abroad - how is that exporting a costly population?

Define "rich older UK citizens". Many of the elderly Brits living here in Spain have moved her because of the health benefits of the climate and the lower cost of living. They are not rich by any definition.

If we were truly exporting a costly problem we'd export the young unemployed poor..

Why on earth would you do that? They are relatively cheap on society and have the potential to turn into income generating population. Where as the elderly population only have increasing costs linked to them.

It is simple economics. Employers have a certain number of jobs that the Brits dont want to do, so they get immigrants to do them. Now if you remove immigrants then either the employers have to raise the wages so the Brits would want to do the job, or simply move the jobs overseas. I would wager that in most cases the jobs would be moved. It is populist bull**** to think that reducing the amount of immigrants will improve the job prospects of home grown peoples... the home grown people need to get off their lazy ass.

That was my point, though plus the fact that the government will likely have less revenue if there are immigrants that take up the low wage jobs that Brits don't want/Would have to be forced to do.

Yes that is a UKIP populist propaganda.. in reality most of the jobs that Eastern Europeans "take" are jobs that the Brits dont want to do at near minimum wage. And as I have proven elsewhere, most immigrants in the UK come from outside the EU. And lets look at the 2 million EU immigrants. Poland, Ireland, Germany and France are the top 4 countries and account for 1.534 million of the 2.3 million EU citizens living in the UK. Yes there are 600k Poles, but the Polish population of the UK has always been relatively high due to historical links from WW2. And why no mention of the 2.3+ million non EU immigrants living in the UK? They are a much larger burden on the UK economy, and can also just as easily take up the jobs no? After all you dont need a Pole to do some work, if you can get a Pakistani or Jamaican at less a price right?

How is stating that the appeal of cheaper labour to employers is irresistible UKIP propaganda?
One of the main issues for Britain is that we are an Island and can only sustain a certain amount of people, we are verging on the Brink of overpopulation. That is my major issue with immigration to Britain. It is not sustainable for our island. I don't care if they take the low wage jobs, for example seasonal apple picking, so long as there are some for the domestic workers.

Jobs that the youth dont want. Listen your problem is not foreigners coming in and taking your jobs. Your problem is your benefit system that has made generations of Brits lazy as hell. On this front I agree fully with the Tories, that benefits should be a stopgap... a help to get yourself on your feet, and not lifestyle which is exactly what it has become in the UK. Where I disagree with the Tories, is how to fix the problem. Cutting benefits (like the bed room tax) are idiotic as long as they dont address the cost of living issue and especially the housing price issue. You cant say people need to be paid less, when their cost of living keeps going up. All you are doing is creating more and more working poor.

But on Brits leaving the UK for Europe. There are over a million in 2 countries alone.. France and Spain. And that is due to the weather and health issues and the fact that Brits swarmed to Spain during the boom to make money.

I 90% agree.
Cuts or adjustments to certain benefits are beneficial, maybe a certificate of proof from a certified source that you are in fact looking for a job whilst on jobseekers allowance. The housing price issue is being addressed by the Tories in the "help to buy scheme", does what it says on the tin really. The cost of living will be a problem especially in the future however.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohcrap.jpg

Daily Mail Headline: "Inflitrating Romanian Tells Hard Working Britain - A Joke!"

Watch as outrage pours over the nation

That is still not migrating is it.. buying a property in another country does not mean that tax wise you have migrated to said country.

Shouldn't have used second home buyers - people who sell their property and can move abroad to reside. 3 ex colleagues here in my workplace have done this. One moved to Western France and the other has moved to Portugal. Neither can be said to be poor, they have emigrated and have plenty of buying power: no more mortgages and they are spending money doing up property and investing in local business.

It's the kind of thing I have been looking at too in about 10-20 years. In my case, I will keep a house in the UK and rent it out as an investment.

-- Define "rich older UK citizens".

You've never heard of silver surfers? You are not aware many young are staying at home and living off the bank of mum and dad or that many mortgages are bankrolled by the older generation to the tune of £17,000 on average?

--Why on earth would you do that? They are relatively cheap on society and have the potential to turn into income generating population. Where as the elderly population only have increasing costs linked to them.

:doh

Read my links.

Shouldn't have used second home buyers - people who sell their property and can move abroad to reside. 3 ex colleagues here in my workplace have done this. One moved to Western France and the other has moved to Portugal. Neither can be said to be poor, they have emigrated and have plenty of buying power: no more mortgages and they are spending money doing up property and investing in local business.

It's the kind of thing I have been looking at too in about 10-20 years. In my case, I will keep a house in the UK and rent it out as an investment.

Yes and that is because of the weather.. cant fight that.

I also know quite a few Brits who moved abroad in their "older" years, but one thing many of them have in common is that during their professional life they also lived abroad.

You've never heard of silver surfers? You are not aware many young are staying at home and living off the bank of mum and dad or that many mortgages are bankrolled by the older generation to the tune of £17,000 on average?

Yes of course I have. But these silver surfers are also costly in healthcare costs, especially at end of life costs. It is a fact of life.

Correct.

The Swiss people have decided that they don't need any more frickin' 'outsiders dragging their country down.

Actually, the main thing the Swiss did was to snub the Eurocracy by saying that they will continue to do things the swiss way and not let Brussels determine their politics . The decision seems intelligent and would go the same way in many European countries. As the EU has way overshot its level of usefulness, the defenders of the movement have only populist arguments to back their demands for always deeper union.

Back
Top Bottom