• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Attack'

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Two men taken off a Chicago-to-Amsterdam United Airlines flight in the Netherlands have been charged by Dutch police with "preparation of a terrorist attack," U.S. law enforcement officials tell ABC News.

Two Suspects on United Airlines Flight Arrested on Terror Charges in Amsterdam - ABC News
For a second I was nervous, thinking it would be a Tea Party member or a member of a right wing militia.

Not.

My bet was whether one would have Abdul or Hussein in his name. Lost both.

Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

For a second I was nervous, thinking it would be a Tea Party member or a member of a right wing militia.

Not.

What do you think their parents choice for their name would mean?

Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

Not.

That was a funny you pulled with the Abdul, Hussein remark.
This could be serious though. The way I'm reading it is the attack would have been successful if it hadn't been a dry run.

U.S. officials said the two appeared to be travelling with what were termed "mock bombs" in their luggage. "This was almost certainly a dry run, a test," said one senior law enforcement official.

Well, I guess with names like John Smith and Joe Jones, that whole myth that most terrorists are Islamic males just went down the tubes....

Well, I guess with names like John Smith and Joe Jones, that whole myth that most terrorists are Islamic males just went down the tubes....

So a name determines a person's religion? Hint: I served with an guy named Anthony Frasier who was a muslim...

That was a funny you pulled with the Abdul, Hussein remark.
This could be serious though. The way I'm reading it is the attack would have been successful if it hadn't been a dry run.

U.S. officials said the two appeared to be travelling with what were termed "mock bombs" in their luggage. "This was almost certainly a dry run, a test," said one senior law enforcement official.

I'm so glad we have fool proof security at all of our airports..... imagine what could have happened if they had gotten box cutters aboard like the 9/11 hijackers did and not just cell phones and Pepto-Bismol.

Muslim terrorists have established enough of a reputation for seeking innovative ways to deliver explosives, that there is probable cause to really look into it and do a pretty thorough investigation.

what, we can't pack this in our luggage anymore?:
a cell phone taped to a Pepto-Bismol bottle, three cell phones taped together, several watches taped together, a box cutter and three large knives

So a name determines a person's religion? Hint: I served with an guy named Anthony Frasier who was a muslim...

Haha, I have a relative who is named Jihad and he is not even religious.
Sucks to be him. Imagine trying to board a plane :lol:

Last edited:

Muslim terrorists have established enough of a reputation for seeking innovative ways to deliver explosives, that there is probable cause to really look into it and do a pretty thorough investigation.

Do you mean.....(shudder) racial profiling?

Not saying that being Muslim is a terrorist act, but the simple fact is, being Muslim is a red flag when it is coupled with unusual acts that have terrorist potential.

Not saying that being Muslim is a terrorist act, but the simple fact is, being Muslim is a red flag when it is coupled with unusual acts that have terrorist potential.

How can one tell who is Muslim?

FYI: There are alot of White converts who are Muslim. No doubt they would be overlooked ... :/

I'm so glad we have fool proof security at all of our airports..... imagine what could have happened if they had gotten box cutters aboard like the 9/11 hijackers did and not just cell phones and Pepto-Bismol.

I pity the poor bastard that tries to hijack a plane with a box cutter again. And i get how it works...draw a little stewardess blood...psychological warfare...etc...I just dont think it will have the same impact. I think someone would be headed for a good old fashioned Southwestern Airlines style beatdown.

Not.

Ok I laughed out loud

captain-picard-full-of-win-500x381.jpg

Last edited:

FYI: There are alot of White converts who are Muslim. No doubt they would be overlooked ... :/

Just sayin' that being Muslim is just a small variable in a long equation which coupled with other variables such as circumstance, can have exponential results (ie Muslim trying to buy 100 tons of ammonium nitrate vs farmer trying to buy 100 tons of ammonium nitrate).

Just sayin' that being Muslim is just a small variable in a long equation which coupled with other variables such as circumstance, can have exponential results (ie Muslim trying to buy 100 tons of ammonium nitrate vs farmer trying to buy 100 tons of ammonium nitrate).

Lol.
If they were intelligent, those Muslims would buy the nitrate from the farmer. Then what?

I think they should try them, and if they are found guilty they should execute them as if they had actually carried this out and pulled it off.

The reply button is slow as ****....

If they are blond, blue-eyed Bosnians who don't have an Islamic name and deny being Muslim (assuming it is ever asked), then the "Muslim red flag" won't go up. If the background check turns up the religious background connection, then in addition to the Muslim red flag, you might be able to add "hiding your identity", depending on whether there was any deception involved.

The reply button is slow as ****....

If they are blond, blue-eyed Bosnians who don't have an Islamic name and deny being Muslim (assuming it is ever asked), then the "Muslim red flag" won't go up. If the background check turns up the religious background connection, then in addition to the Muslim red flag, you might be able to add "hiding your identity", depending on whether there was any deception involved.

So then that fails

If Al Qaeda wanted to hit something. It seems common sense now on what to do if the West is racial profiling Muslims. Pick the most obscure converts to Islam. White people always get past security easier than Arabs or Blacks so its a score on both fronts.
They can be told to deny ever being a Muslim, wear "Western" clothes. Maybe a push up bra and heels if it is a chick. Then success.

When will people realise Muslims are so diverse :shrug:

Last edited:

Lol.
If they were intelligent, those Muslims would buy the nitrate from the farmer. Then what?

Well, there are some really good intelligent ones out there...no doubt.

The fact that Muslim terrorists have attempted or successfully completed terrorist acts by setting off truck bombs in basements, hijacked aircraft with box cutters, hidden bombs in shoes, attempted to board aircraft with bomb making materials consisting of binary explosives, rammed ships with explosive laden boats means some high level of intelligence

I'll give them credit for innovation.

These were obviously deranged individuals angry at GW Bush and chose an ugly, spiteful way to express themselves.

Well, there are some really good intelligent ones out there...no doubt.

Well yeah, alot of them tend to take chemistry or engineering in Uni or at least the ones in UK do :shrug:

The people who look most obviously Muslim. Hijab, beard, a tagiyah are those least likely to be a terrorist as the aim is to not draw attention to one self.

What do you think their parents choice for their name would mean?
I don't know. What do you think Cassius Marcellus Clay's parent's meant by their choice of his name?

Not.

We get it. You guys would like to use racial profiling to more thoroughly scrutinize potential Muslim terrorist. :roll:

On the one hand, I actually agree. Airlines do have passenger manifest they can use to screen against terrorist watchlists. Problem is these lists are held by U.S. Customs agents, not at airline baggage checks. I'd be for changing that except for expediency's sake, I doubt any airline will go that route...too many delays and no airline wants to be seen as profiling passengers.

The other problem with using racial profiling to catch Muslim extremist/suspect Muslim terrorist is we'd certainly miss quiet a few since not all Muslims who go the route of extremist/terrorist look the part, i.e., homegrown terrorist or Muslims from part of Africa. You just wouldn't be able to catch them by name or looks alone. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that if you look like an Arab or Middle-Eastern male, book a flight to or from any country known to harbor terrorist or has been used to funnel money through said country for terrorist activity should be watched very closely.

On the surface of it, I thought it was odd also that these guys were allowed to continue on their flight, but is it possible that the Birmingham Airport tipped off Customs and they allowed the passengers to continue on their flight until the the FBI could get more information about the terror suspects and their terror plot? Granted, by the time they got whatever information they were looking for it could've been too late, but is it possible security wasn't as lacked as it appears? Afterall, the plot - dry-run though it might have been - was discovered and thrawrted.

Last edited:

Not.

Your own findings should teach you not to jump to conclusions. Don't be so suspicious of your fellow men!

Back
Top Bottom